Halelle sung during consecration?

I know I have this spelled wrong, but I attended Mass today while I was out of town in another diocese, and the priest, while elevating the host after saying the words of consecration, said ‘and then He (meaning Jesus) sang this…’ and went on to sing what sounded like a Jewish song. He did the same thing as he elevated the Precious Blood. After Mass I asked him what it was he sung, and he said it was the ‘Ha-lelle’ (I’m sorry - I know this can’t be spelled right but hopefully someone will know what I"m talking about) which was sung during the Jewish Sadar (probably spelled wrong also…I’m sorry) meal. I was pretty sure this wasn’t allowed and don’t have much confidence (or enough knowledge of the GIRM yet) so I tried to be diplomatic and said ‘I’ve never heard that sung before, is this a change that just took affect’? At that time he smiled and said, ‘well, it sounds like you need to visit our church more often to get exposed to these things!’. He then walked away without giving me a chance to respond.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is this allowed? This diocese just got a new Bishopn earlier this year (Bishop Braxton), so I don’t know if this was something allowed by him (anyone know anything about him?) or if this priest is doing it on his own.

It’s an illicit adaptation to the Mass (ie., liturgical abuse). I would make formal inquiry about it with the diocese if I were you.

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is or what this song actually is? The reponse I got from the priest was very quick and sketchy.

Also - does anyone know anything about Bishop Braxton and if this was something approved by him?

[quote=Elzee]Does anyone know what the correct spelling is or what this song actually is? The reponse I got from the priest was very quick and sketchy.
[/quote]

***Hal·lel (hä-lāl’, hä’lāl)
n. Judaism.

A chant of praise consisting of Psalms 113 through 118, used during Passover and on certain other holidays.

I don’t know the answer about Bishop Braxton.

[quote=Elzee]Has anyone ever heard of this before?
[/quote]

Never.

[quote=Elzee]Is this allowed?
[/quote]

No

[quote=Elzee]This diocese just got a new Bishopn earlier this year (Bishop Braxton), so I don’t know if this was something allowed by him (anyone know anything about him?) or if this priest is doing it on his own.
[/quote]

Neither the priest nor the bishop is allowed to add this.

Out of curiosity what was the name of the church you attended. I would be curious to find out if they were attached to Rome and if they were perhaps which rite they use.

I’d rather not give the name of the church, but they are definitely attached to Rome (I know some of the parishoners there). They no longer have a parish priest, but priests from neighboring parishes take turns saying Mass there. The parish is run by a ‘Parish Life Coordinator’ who is a nun.

[quote=Elzee]I’d rather not give the name of the church, but they are definitely attached to Rome (I know some of the parishoners there). They no longer have a parish priest, but priests from neighboring parishes take turns saying Mass there. The parish is run by a ‘Parish Life Coordinator’ who is a nun.
[/quote]

I wonder if the priest might have been from one of the other rites in union with Rome. Maronite comes to mind. Possibly Ambrosian as well. Without more info, one cannot call it an abuse. The Hallel is mentioned several times by John Paul the Great, in several of his documents, and since other rites like the Maronite rite use Aramaic in their liturgy, one just cannot be sure without info.

I went to one of his Masses last year and he did not do this…but Bishop Gregory (the Bishop at the time) was also there. So, I’m not quite sure what to think. These are the only 2 times I’ve been to a Mass which he was celebrating.

I’m considering writing the Bishop about this abuse. I’ve never done anything like this before. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should say? I want to be polite, but direct. Should I mention the priest’s name, just give the parish name and date of the Mass, etc. Should I write it as if I know this is not allowed, or ‘soften’ the note by saying this was soemthing I had never witneessed before and was wondering if it was allowed by the GIRM? I’m really inexperienced with this type of thing but feel like I should say something. Thank you all so much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.