Half communion? Whatsup?

On the night in which he was betrayed, Jesus took some bread, broke it and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat, this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them saying, “Drink from it all of you: for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.”

Why then, when I go to a RC mass, do the priests only give out those little waffers? What happened to the blood?

Ordinarily, I would feel a bit put out by not getting communion as a Protestant. But … since nobody else gets the whole sacrament, I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad!

MartyL

[quote=MartyL]On the night in which he was betrayed, Jesus took some bread, broke it and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat, this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them saying, “Drink from it all of you: for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.”

Why then, when I go to a RC mass, do the priests only give out those little waffers? What happened to the blood?

Ordinarily, I would feel a bit put out by not getting communion as a Protestant. But … since nobody else gets the whole sacrament, I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad!

MartyL
[/quote]

Every little speck of the communion host or the wine contains the entire Holy Trinity, which includes Jesus body, blood , soul and divinity. And if you are not a member of the Church and in the state of grace it is sacrilege to receive holy communion.

Yours in Jesus, Mary & Joseph,

John

[quote=MartyL]On the night in which he was betrayed, Jesus took some bread, broke it and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat, this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them saying, “Drink from it all of you: for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.”

MartyL
[/quote]

The fullness of Grace is contained in either Species, All of His Body, All of His Blood, All of His Soul, All of His Divinity. Many people cannot recieved the Most Precious Blood, due to allergies, alcoholism, etc. What should they do, do you reckon? Receive only the Most Precious Body, of course. Likewise, some others have a sensitivity to glutten and may not receive the Most Precious Body. They can receive the Most Precious Blood. I prefer to rec. Both, but one cannot always (somewhere else in these forums someone mentioned that their bishop had suspended the laity’s reception of the Most Precious Blood for the duration of flu season, due to the shortage of vaccines).

Hey John … you’re off topic.

JKirk: But God through Jesus says to do both. Doesn’t that count for something?

MartyL

[quote=MartyL]Hey John … you’re off topic.

MartyL
[/quote]

Hi,
Yes he does. But He left us the Church. He gave an awful lot of authority to His Church. And under the guidance of the Holy Spirit the Church has come to know that you receive Holy Communion even if you consume a smal speck of the Host or wine and swallow it. The Church does not forbid us to receive communion under both species of bread and wine. If your bishop says it’s OK then tell the priest you want that. But in the end you only need a small speck.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Yours in Jesus, Mary & Joseph,

John

[quote=MartyL]Hey John … you’re off topic.

MartyL
[/quote]

Not really. I explained you why we A) believe we only HAVE to rec.One, B) why some can rec. One and not the Other, and C) why we SOMETIMES don’t rec. Both. Anyway, if you came my parish, you would be able to rec. Both, as it offered under both Species.:smiley:

I was trying to figure out what the off topic comment was about. I would have to say it is right on topic when the person is asking the question about receiving communion in a Catholic Church is Lutheran. While I am glad they now may understand that they actually are receiving both the body and the blood of Christ even if they were to receive only a small crumb, but a person should not be receiving communion in the Catholic Church when they choose not to become Catholic. By receiving communion in the Catholic Church, you are declaring you believe what the church teaches. Clearly, if a person is Lutheran, they do not believe what the Catholic church teaches nor should they be receiving communion at a Catholic Mass.

Respectfully,
Your sister in Christ,
Maria

MartyL
[/quote]

They do this because you are only required to recieve one of them because they are both completely the body of Christ. Most churches I have been to offer them both the body and blood.

Did I read that right? Are you a non-Catholic receiving Communion in a Catholic Church?

In every Catholic Mass both the Bread becomes the Body of Christ and the wine becomes the Precious Blood, however since the Body and the Blood is fully present in either species it is not necessary to distribute the Precious Blood to the faithful, and in some cases it is not done for a number of reasons. However for the sake of validity the celebrant and all concelebrating priests are required to receive under both species.

p.s. in the context that I used the word “species” above does anyone think it should be capitalized? (I’m not sure)

You are not invited to receive the Sacraments of the Catholic Church unless you are a Catholic. We may be “off the subject,” but it is SACRILEGE for you to receive the Eucharist unless you are in full communion with the Catholic Church and meet all the other requirements. Not even Catholics may receive the Eucharist unless they are fasting and are in the state of grace (are free of serious sin). Since you have no access to Confession, that’s unlikely to be the case.

You may not invite yourself to the Church’s sacred meal. You may call it “wafer,” but the Church calls it Eucharist – the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Divine Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

This sacrilege is very dangerous to a soul. St. Paul says such a person will have to answer for “the body and blood of the Lord,” which means His murder. Read 1 Cor 10:16-17, 11:23-30.

JMJ Jay

Agreed. No offense to true seekers, though. We enthusiastically invite you to make yourself eligible to receive the Lord in the Sacrament, but until that time the reception of it would be a lie. You must be in communion to go to Communion. Until then, God bless you, but please respect the teaching of the Church which has been teaching since the time of Christ…

I don’t think Marty is saying he receives communion at Mass. I think he is saying that normally, he would be upset that he isn’t allowed to receive, but since Catholics don’t follow the Lord’s directives (Marty’s interpretation), we Catholics aren’t really receiving either.

Peace
Tim

Marty, we DO receive in both kinds. If you came to my parish, you would not find a Mass in which the Precious Blood is not offered to the people. Some parishes offer it only on Sundays, when extraordinary ministers of holy communion are available to assist. Other parishes, like mine, offer it always.

[quote=mercygate]Marty, we DO receive in both kinds. If you came to my parish, you would not find a Mass in which the Precious Blood is not offered to the people. Some parishes offer it only on Sundays, when extraordinary ministers of holy communion are available to assist. Other parishes, like mine, offer it always.
[/quote]

so does mine… i know this may seem strange, but since im a server i have to recieve the precious blood last(for some reason) and there wasn’t enough so couldn’t recieve. I know the body,blood,soul and divinity is in each piece of the eucharist but i couldn’t help feeling weird that i couldn’t recieve(it happened for a few months) the blood…only when the parish is practically empty i can recieve 'cause there is enough for the servers and the Extraordinary Ministers of communion… if you recieve both is it more complete? or is just more???:confused:
Podo:whacky:

It’s just more, but we Americans want all we can get of everything and if we don’t get it we’re not happy. How do you think our Lord feels when we say not recieving Him under both speces that we are not recieving Him completely, or in some way that something is missing. Time to do more study I think or at least some soul searching.

The way the original question was posed is a problem that keeps coming up on this forum. The poster states that XYZ is Catholic practice, but he mistates or misrepresents the practice, or describes something that simply is not true. Then he attacks the practice or questions it or criticizes it.

The priest always consumes both the body and blood of Jesus, and the faithful can partake of both the body and blood, depending on circumstances, local custom, directives of local bishops etc. So what good does it do to say that Catholics cannot receive both species when the statement is not true? How is the answer going to help you?

Jesus did say TAKE and DO,not IF you take and do. Who are we to take Gods commands and do it our way.In my oppinion any church that doesnt offer both species is going against what God says. :eek:

[quote=montanaman]Did I read that right? Are you a non-Catholic receiving Communion in a Catholic Church?
[/quote]

The profile says Lutheran ie; Reformed Catholic ??? I’m not sure what that means.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Jesus did say TAKE and DO,not IF you take and do. Who are we to take Gods commands and do it our way.In my oppinion any church that doesnt offer both species is going against what God says. :eek:
[/quote]

The mere symbols used in your church (you won’t reveal your denomination) are not SPECIES. They are plain old crackers and grape juice or Wonder bread and hot chocolate – or whatever symbols your denomination offers to their adherents – but they are definitely not “species,” and I doubt that your denom refers to them as “species.”

You’re going against what God says by rejecting his Real Presence in the Eucharist.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you do not have life in you.” Jn 6:53

:yup: Peace, Jay

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.