Hallmark now catering to Gays (Recommend Boycott)

Now on the Hallmark aisle: Gay marriage cards
By SARAH SKIDMORE – 1 hour ago

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Most states don’t recognize gay marriage — but now Hallmark does. The nation’s largest greeting card company is rolling out same-sex wedding cards — featuring two tuxedos, overlapping hearts or intertwined flowers, with best wishes inside. “Two hearts. One promise,” one says.

Hallmark added the cards after California joined Massachusetts as the only U.S. states with legal gay marriage. A handful of other states have recognized same-sex civil unions.

The language inside the cards is neutral, with no mention of wedding or marriage, making them also suitable for a commitment ceremony. Hallmark says the move is a response to consumer demand, not any political pressure.

“It’s our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can,” Hallmark spokeswoman Sarah Gronberg Kolell said.

Hallmark’s largest competitor, American Greetings Corp., has no plans to enter the market, saying its current offerings are general enough to speak to a lot of different relationships.
… more here…

ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iZl2uw2yTnV4K44E6PweHvdOQ8EAD92ML7U81

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would recommend a boycott against hallmark. :frowning:

Do you think gays and lesbians not supposed to get greeting cards?

You GOTTA be kidding, but alas, I’m afraid you’re not.

As Sam Goldwyn once said, ‘Include me out’.

I hear you, but where does this stop? I’m not sure a few cards that don’t even mention “marriage” is the same as “catering.” I think there’s a difference between promoting an evil and just “doing business.” No same-gender ceremony or relationship is going to be headed-off by the absence of such cards. Living in Massachusetts, what do I do? Boycott restaurants and hotels where same-gender receptions are held? Boycott formal wear companies renting to same-gender couples? Screen limo companies for my daughter’s prom to weed out companies who have serviced same-gender ceremonies? My employer sponsored a unit in Boston’s “Gay Pride” parade; do I have to quit my job?

How would we feel if a local fundamentalist “church” picketed outside our Hallmark store because its line of First Communion cards was seen as “catering to Catholics?” (And no, I’m not equating the Eucharist with you-know-what, but that lifestyle actually has more rights in this state than does Catholicism.) I think our personal testimony and political mobilization in the rest of the country (Massachusetts being a lost cause - tax exemptions for Catholic churches being the next thing to go I think - forces are rallying to end tax exemptions for religious institutions who do not comply with our “non-discrimination” laws) would be more effective than protesting Hallmark.

Matt, those are all excellent questions. But let me ask one that is much more profound:

How would you feel if were a gay person - M or F - deeply in love with, and in a loving, committed relationship with another gay person - AND - here’s the kicker - neither of you were members of any religious denomination that auromatically condemns such unions? (And many do not.)

Don’t you think that you might like to walk down to the corner store and buy that person a nice card from Hallmark or another publisher? Without having to cross a picket line of ‘concerned citizens’ like the originator of this thread?

The time we spend worrying about gay people’s sins would be better spent worrying about our own.

Hallmark Out…
CSS (PaperMagic) Out (Personal Reason)

Glad I do not buy cards :stuck_out_tongue:

Well let me ask this wouldn’t you as a Catholic buying the couple a card be supporting the sin. Which would fall under adultery?

If a person has a homosexual orientation, that’s one thing, but to normalize gay sex is another. Thanks for bringing this up.

Peace,
Ed

“It’s our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can,” Hallmark spokeswoman Sarah Gronberg Kolell said.

Maybe Sarah should have said, “At Hallmark Cards, our goal is to make as much money as humanly possible while staying within the confines of the law. This is a market share we don’t have enough stake in, so we are moving into it in order to make more profit.”

That sounds right to me!

I’ve boycotted Hallmark cards for years.Why spend six bucks on a piece of paper??But I gotta wonder are we going to see any new television movies by Hallmark?:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I received a few strong objections to a thread I posted recently about Catholic boycotts :rotfl: and I rather enjoyed it…so I’m with you. Emailing Hallmark wouldn’t hurt, either. If Hallmark weren’t taking a public stand on the issue, they’d be satisfied producing plenty of generic wedding cards that appeal to everyone and which everyone would buy, including homosexuals. A boycott, and a slew of emails, won’t have any effect, of course, because of the subject matter, but still it’s good to make our values heard.

Since Hallmark is choosing to favor the gay community with special cards, maybe they’d also like to consider these…

“Congratulations on 25 Years of Celibacy!”
“Congratulations on Your Nephew’s Ordination!”
“So Sorry You Were Silenced by the Vatican…”
“Thank You for Choosing Adoption Rather than Abortion.”
“God’s Blessings on Your Conversion to Catholicism!”

And “Sorry I Missed You Gay Commitment Ceremony…NOT”

:rotfl:

1. I never really thought about that. I was referring to one partner buying a romantic card for the other, in a relationship that was not contrary to their religious beliefs.

Kind of a different kettle of fish, eh?

1. Adultery is cheating on one’s spouse. So no, it wouldn’t fall under that.

For the record, Hallmark sells some lovely ordination and adoption cards… :thumbsup:

Then what commandment would I it fall under?

Catechism of the Catholic Church homosexually falls under Article 6 The Sixth Commandment; You shall not commit adultery.

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection

Well, I’ve read your excerpt several times, and I don’t see the word adultery anywhere.

We’re talking here about two adults in an exclusive, committed relationship, neither of whose religious beliefs forbid such relationships or regard them as sinful per se.

That would seem to leave Catholics, Muslims and some others out.

So wot’s yer problem? You wanna go tell them they have to believe as you do? Go for it!

How about ‘Sorry to Have Lost You as Our Congressman, Father!’

Rolltide,
Yes, Hallmark sells some lovely ordination and adoption cards, Not quite as specific as the one’s in my post, but quite lovely…no one’s disputing the loveliness of their products. They’re the best, by a long shot. Which makes it even more unfortunate, that the biggest, best and most influential has to take a public stand on something so many people believe to be morally wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.