Halloween cancelled for being insensitive to "real witches"

abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=184701&page=1

what do you guys think of this? I think it’s absolutely insane and feel very bad for the kids who lost their party.

Wow. Double Standard from Hell…literally.

Why do I say this? Well, a few years ago a friend of mine dressed like a “Catholic School Girl” with her white blouse knotted up at her waist…you know. Anyway, I was midly offended, as I have not rejected the religion as she did…but I guess I had my own double standard as I was a “gypsy” fortune teller and went around reading palms all evening and drinking red wine from a skull cup.

Seems to me many groups “should” be offended by Halloween, but funny thing…most people look at it in fun and enjoy the comedy and the cuteness of the girl next door in her bunny costume or the boy in the sheet with the eyes cut out trying to keep the eye holes in place!

I’m not offended when I see a Priest or a Nun costume, which does represent our faith in a currently practiced way, which is why I see the idea of a witch offending a Wiccan to be beyond ridiculous. Especially considering that I have not known a single Wiccan to dress as a witch in a black gown and boil toads eyes and hair of newt in a big black cauldron.

The majority of the people who allow their children to dress up are actually Christian…funny thing that the pagans are the ones attacking the holiday they say Christianity stole from them. I really wanna say more here but can’t seem to really grasp the meaning I’m trying to convey…anyone help?

well what’s even dumber about the whole thing is that apparently the “real witches” weren’t complaining about Halloween in the first place. Instead the school board thought they’d be offended without actually asking them.

well now we have the answer to why any depiction of Christmas that actually mentions Jesus Christ has been banned from the public schools, the board voted and decided we Christians might be offended so the were being sensitive.

Remember the Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy played a kid who could make things disappear by “thinking” them out of existence? If something offended him he just said “You don’t exist anymore” and the offensive person or thing vanished.

That’s what non-Christians are doing to the world. Unfortunately for them, like in this case, it will eventually come full circle. Like a snake swallowing its own tail.

[quote=Minerva]abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=184701&page=1

what do you guys think of this? I think it’s absolutely insane and feel very bad for the kids who lost their party.
[/quote]

I agree with you. This is very silly. Some people seem to have had their sense of humour surgically removed. I don’t find Halloween offensive and I think people should leave well alone.

“Use of derogatory stereotypes is prohibited, such as the traditional image of a witch, which is offensive to members of the Wiccan religion.”

Bloomin’ idiots.

“I do lots of things that are not revolving around wearing a black outfit and stirring a cauldron,” Wiccan priestess Cheryl Sulyma-Masson said in an interview with ABC News in which she explained that Wiccans, or Pagan Clergy, celebrate nature.

Yes, but Wicca is only 50 years old, you know, while the witches in black and stirring a cauldron have a long history.

“the Wiccan religion is a bona fide religion under the law, and its followers are entitled to all the protections afforded more mainstream religions. Building administrators should not tolerate such inappropriate stereotyping (images such as Witches on flying brooms, stirring cauldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats) and instead address them as you would hurtful stereotypes of any other minority.”

I’m OFFENDED that people are prohibited from having fun because of taking political correctness to extremes. This is just fundamentalism on the other side of the political spectrum. :mad:

Peace be with you all,

I like to describe myself as “very” Catholic but I can tell you that Halloween is “very” big in my household. If it were even stopped it would be a really big disappointment to me and my family. It’s just fun, what else can I say!

Peace, Love and Blessings,

the northwest is pathetic. it has the lowest church attendance, tons of homosexuals and wierdos, and high suicide rates. it’s a shame because they have some really great cities there and outdoors but the people are goofy.

now, they wont let their kids celebrate halloween in school- horrible, i hope mt rainier erupts and buries the whole nw in 1 mi of ash.

[quote=oat soda]the northwest is pathetic. it has the lowest church attendance, tons of homosexuals and wierdos, and high suicide rates. it’s a shame because they have some really great cities there and outdoors but the people are goofy. .
[/quote]

Hey! You can only talk like that if you live here!

[quote=oat soda]now, they wont let their kids celebrate halloween in school- horrible, i hope mt rainier erupts and buries the whole nw in 1 mi of ash.
[/quote]

So, you would kill all the righteous and faithful people because of the weeds growing here? That’s not very nice!

Sadly, however, the Pac NW is liberal part of the country. Probably all of the west coast is. Something about that independent, pioneering spirit, I guess.

So, you would kill all the righteous and faithful people because of the weeds growing here? That’s not very nice!

i’m just kidding. really, im jealous because i live down south. i wish i could live there (portland) but there are no jobs. so, i like to make fun of it. my sister just moved from portland after six or seven years because of this and she’s way happier on the east coast where guys hit on women.

I think that is really stupid. Anyone “offended” by the “Halloween witch” is either just looking to pick a fight or is insecure in their own faith. I could care less, it doesn’t represent me, so why waste energy letting it bother me? It’d be the same if a Catholic got offended by someone dressed as a nun, priest, etc.

To me, this is the same as the people who get offended by having “God” in the national anthem or the 10 commandments in front of a court house. This country may have freedom of religion, but it was founded based on Christianity. It doesn’t bother me. People need to learn to deal with it.

[quote=oat soda]the northwest is pathetic. it has the lowest church attendance, tons of homosexuals and wierdos, and high suicide rates. it’s a shame because they have some really great cities there and outdoors but the people are goofy.

now, they wont let their kids celebrate halloween in school- horrible, i hope mt rainier erupts and buries the whole nw in 1 mi of ash.
[/quote]

BAHAHA I resemble that remark. I live in Oregon, land of fruits, nuts and flakes. I cannot imagine how God could have blessed this place with such incredible natural beauty but oat soda is right, it’s the land of ULTRA leftists. We had abortion before Roe v Wade. We are the only state in the land with “assisted” suicide.
I don’t know what to do though. I love the NW but there are some strange folks here. I greatly fear our upcoming vote on gay marriage because the whole state is run by one small corner in Portland.

BTW I heard someone from the Puyallup school board being interviewed and she said there had been ONE complaint five years ago. And they were basing the ban on this ONE complaint. They can yap all they want about taking up school time and kids not affording costumes but tell me what has changed so much since we were kids? Do I think my education was compromised by spending an hour of school time eating candy and enjoying friends’ costumes. We had very little money and my mom MADE our costumes. It’s really neither expensive or difficult. Further many Goodwill, St Vincent De Paul etc have HUGE selections of costumes for a buck. The REAL reason is the fear of offending Wiccans. It is NOT losing an hour of school. That’s just spin

Lisa N (living in the shadow of Mt St Helens)

Well I suppose I should point out that not all Wiccans are Witches and not all Witches are Wiccan. But as I said above, anyone, Wiccan/Witch or not, that let’s this sort of thing offend them is just looking for a fight or is not confident enough in their faith (regardless of what that may be).

As someone that would consider themselves Wiccan, I have to say that if I was young enough to be in that school, I most certainly be fighting against the people trying to cancel Halloween, especially since it is only ONE complaint as you said and for stupid reasons.

[quote=BlessedBe13]Well I suppose I should point out that not all Wiccans are Witches and not all Witches are Wiccan.

As someone that would consider themselves Wiccan, I have to say that if I was young enough to be in that school, I most certainly be fighting against the people trying to cancel Halloween, especially since it is only ONE complaint as you said and for stupid reasons.
[/quote]

They specifically said it was offensive to the Wiccan religion because witches are often depicted negatively. As you said, you cannot equate Wicca with the stereotype witch of the Wizard of Oz. But the school board chose to take one silly complaint and ruin a lot of fun for hundreds of little kids.

Lisa N

I would be curious to know from anyone who lives in Washington how many times evangelical or fundamentalist Christian groups protested against the school halloween celebrations on the grounds that it offended their religious sensibilities and promoted paganism. Obviously sensitivity and tolerance are both exercised selectively. I would suggest that a school board composed of idiots should be dealt with at the next election.

Someone ought to go as a martyr or something, on the grounds that it is All Saints Eve, and let everyone know what they are dressed as and why. See how long it takes for the double standard to kick in.

“Hi, little Timmy, who are you.”
“I’m St. Paul the Apostle. It is All Saint’s Eve today, Miss Ratchet”
“Oh, but you can’t be doing that.”
“Why, Miss Ratchet.”
“It just isn’t right. It isn’t right because it is wrong.”

Justin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.