Halloween, Fundamentalists and Symbols

Why do fundamentalists insist the symbols of the Catholic Church ‘mean nothing’, ‘have no power’, yet insist the symbols of Halloween DO have meaning and power?
For example, here are some quotes from fundamentalists:

JACK-O’-LANTERN… the origin of the jack-o’-lantern is much more sinister. It arrives from the Druid’s ghastly reverence of the severed human head!

MASKS & COSTUMES Masks are contacts to the spirit world to invite the spirit to “possess” them.

BAT: "One of the animal shapes commonly used by these demons

APPLES: "The practice of bobbing for apples at a Halloween party comes form our Pagan ancestors, who highly valued apple magick

SKULL: “An interesting symbol, the skull . . . It is prominent in Witchcraft and Demon worship as a celebration of death.”

All these quotes come from a tract called 'Halloween, a Covenant with Death and Hell".

If you follow the logic here, they believe Catholic symbols and Sacraments, which come from God, have no power. Yet they insist these symbols, which they say come from the devil, DO have power.
Can any explain this contriction?

32 views. Any thoughts?

Are you sure that the same fundementalists are making both assertions?

I know a few do make very similar claims about both kinds of symbols. And if one really believes Catholic symbols come from the devil, that is logical enough.

If they are making both, I can think of a few possibilities. One is that the don’t think the Catholic symbols are evil so much as just man-made, and as such signs of hubris.

Another along the same lines is that they recognize Catholics as Christians, but do not think Christians should have symbols at all.

Or third, they are not really thinking very clearly.

I think the third is more likely. If they believe signs and symbols are man-made and thus have no power, why do they then turn around and claim the devil’s symbols (which are also man-made) DO have power. Why assert power to one and not the other?

There was a older lady in walgreens today protesting halloween in the candy isle!!! They asked her to step outside the store. I’m surprised they didn’t call the police and have her arrested for the way she was acting. She warned everyone that Satan wanted their souls and they would go to hell if they played with the fire that is Halloween.

She takes the power of those symbols very very seriously. I have never seen something like that before.

My first thought is that they’re OK in claiming Halloween symbols have meaning and power because they’re “bad”, about the Devil, and they can oppose them without consequences. But Catholic symbols, if they have meaning and power, are “good”, about God, and if they admitted the symbols have meaning and power then their own people would ask why they don’t have them in their own churches. So they fall back onto a double standard to avoid that unpleasant possibility.

Unlike the fundamentalists you mention, I have found a marked lack of concern over any type of symbolism in modern culture. Back in September my brother I were talking about this and I said that in our day someone could perform an occult dance on the lawn outside his condo and no one would take notice. At the time I was using hyperbole, but as I drove to Sunday mass the next morning I was astonished to see two people dressed up as witches jumping around on the median. They were holding images of a skull that read “Halloween Spirit”. I was quite disturbed by this, as it was happening fairly close to the church. I later discovered that they were advertising for a costume store of some kind. I guess that makes it OK.

Do you dislike Halloween?

If by Halloween you mean the day before All Saints day, or a bunch of kids collecting enough candy to make them sick for a week, I don’t have a problem. I do find some of the costumes people wear to parties quite offensive. Many years ago someone told me that there are a number of occult rituals practiced on Halloween. If this is true, I don’t see how it can be defended.

The symbols that to us are sacramentals have one key difference. They have meaning only because of the power of God. Satan does not have the same power. Yes, he is called the ruler of this age, but even that is rooted in God’s sovreign power. We must not fall into a dualistic understand of evil as the Taoist teach.

In all likelihood, there are a number of “occult” rituals practiced every day of the year. I don’t know why you’d single out one particular day to protest.

Because most children participate in it? And, well- we should care about the children minimally?

In Vatican is Saint Peter’s Square. To the square has been described eight-rayed sun wheel design, which is paganism symbol. In the middle of the sun wheel is large Egyptian obelisk.

Saint Peter’s Square is dedicated to paganism worship of the sun. Figures of the sun wheel and obelisk were to Romans familiar symbols and each of them knew, that they are paganism service of god (idols). Because Catholic Church of Rome has qualified these symbols to their church, it is proof about that the church of Rome worships idols and not God of the Bible. For all kinds of service of idols and idol statues and symbols are forbidden about those who believe, that the Bible is the word of God.

In Babylon pine cone described fertility and also regeneration power of Tammuz. In Vatican is world’s largest pine cone sculpture. This sculpture locates in the court of pine. Roman Catholic Church very openly follows pagan idol worshipping by using pagan symbols.

Roman Catholic serpent crosier of the bishops and high church officials. RCC says that this crosier is shepherd’s staff. The fact is that Babylonian priest and Roman high priest Pontifex Maximum used serpent crosiers.

It is very clear that real servant of God doesn’t use pagan serpent crosiers, because serpent represents satan in the Bible. It is very obvious that evil spirits dominate RCC and effect openly idol worshipping through pagan symbols.

Dagon fish-sun cult worshipper wearing fish head mitre. When you compare Babylonian fish head mitre with RCC Pope’s mitre, so you see that they are identical with ancient Babylonian fish head mitre. The Bible denies that servant of God can’t imitate or live after traditions and ordinances of pagan nations, because those traditions and ordinances are idol worshipping.

It is very clear that real servant of God doesn’t use fish head mitres. In Babylon and other pagan cultures religious leaders (priests) wore fish head mitres. In Babylon they believed that god is wearing the fish head hat in his head. Worshipping of fish god Dagon was very common Medo-Persia, Egypt, Assyria and Rome. Roman Catholic Church adopted fish head mithra (mitre) for Babylon religion. Dagon; Dag=fish and On= sun.

Symbols of RCC show us that RCC is deeply fallen into idol worshipping.

Aren’t those quotes from Jack Chick? If that is the case you really can’t equate him with all fundamentalists and he definitely believes that Catholic symbols have a meaning, just not the ones that anyone else thinks they have.

Halloween coincides with the Wiccan holiday known as Sam Hain (pronounced Sowain). AFAIK: This celebration is basically about getting drunk and debauchery (at least that what every Sam Hain party I was at was all about). I believe if also coincides with a Celtic Pagan oliday. I believe the practice of trick or treating came from Christian children (I believe Catholics actually) dressing up like ghouls and goblins and going around to other Christians houses where they would be provided with a treat for the trick they had played on the Christians being visited. This was done to make fun of Pagan religions which actually believed that the dead could be contacted and summoned on this day. Again, I think this is the story of how it originally evolved, but I’ll accept reproof from any more knowledgeable. In light of this I find it very amusing when Christians protest that day as some sort of satanic ritual.

Do you wear or plan to wear a wedding ring? Do you use playing cards or dice? Do you decorate a Christmas tree? These all started out as pagan symbols, too. One of the beautiful things about the one true Church is that we can appropriate symbols and practices of others and use them to honor and glorify the true God. This practice has been used historically to teach people about the faith by relating it to and building on what they know. In teaching it is called “scaffolding”. It is a very effective teaching method. Why would an image of a pine cone, which God has created, have to mean something pagan? We just take it all back and use it for the original purpose for which all things were created, to glorify God!

Christmas is situated to coincide with the winter solstice because it was a big pagan celebration. Christians took it over and gave it to the Lord instead of eradicating it. This is how it was done so that eventually the pagan gods would be forgotten and the celebration would be for the right reasons.

I’m not sure but I think the Celts also dressed up as dead people or ghosts on Samhein, and there is also some origin of trick or treating in the English Guy Fawkes Day.

Last time I checked, children also hunt Easter eggs, but no one pays them any mind even though they’re Northern European fertility symbols.

Like I’ve said before, there’s no reason to ever be pagan. Christianity has a parallel to everything that paganism has, either directly or indirectly.

It’s not that Fundamentalists think the Catholic Church is powerless, it’s that they think that we’ve gone off the path of righteousness, and they think it’s their job to put us “back on” that path. Hence why they consistently put us down in their sermons and point out all of our wrongs.

Fundamentalists put power into Halloween because they fully believe that the devil will overtake their souls if they participate. They think it’s part of some pagan ritual to get everyone to sin. It’s one of the reasons they believe that the members of the Catholic Church will go to Hell, because we insist on participating in it. Truth time: it WAS a Pagan holiday, but the practices have been made “soul-ly” Christian.

History of Halloween:
The current holiday of All Hallow’s Eve, a.k.a. Hallowe’en, has it’s roots in the Celtic holiday of Samhain (and that’s how it’s spelled - not Sam Hain or Samhein - it’s Gaelic for “November”). On this day, the Druids of the Celtic countries - Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and Normandy - believed that the veil between this world and the spirit realm became thinner, and therefore they were able to enter our world for one night. It was the night that their sun god died, before the cycle of the year renewed and he was born again on Winter Solstice (December 21 or 22, depending on the year - the reason we have Christmas on the 25th). October 31st was the day they remembered the dead. On that night they would welcome their long departed deceased home to celebrate. To make sure that any evil spirits didn’t bother or curse them, they dressed up as though they were dead, and put on masks, in order to either blend in with or scare off the evil spirits.

Christians picked up on this holiday, and made it their own, by celebrating the Feast of All Hallows (November 1st) and the Feast of All Souls (November 2nd) - our own days to remember the dead. Hence the reason why we now call October 31st All Hallows Eve, or Hallowe’en. Christians picked up on the idea of dressing up as the dead, and would dress as their favorite saint.

Trick or Treating comes from the tradition of “souling”, which is where the poor people of a community would go door to door on Hallowmas (as All Souls Day was called then) to ask people for food. They were then given “soul cakes” in return of the promise that they would pray for the dead of that family.

Jack of the Lantern was a Christian tale about a man who was so bad in his life, he couldn’t get into Heaven or Hell, and was doomed to wander the universe for eternity, with only a hollowed out turnip with a candle inside to light his way. This was later changed to a pumpkin because a pumpkin is larger and easier to hollow out and decorate than a turnip is. Kind of like how Christmas stockings were invented because the shoes left out on St. Nicholas Day didn’t have very much room for so much candy and other goodies.

In other words, if you take a good, long look at Hallowe’en, it’s actually a Christian holiday. Not that it looks like one anymore, but underneath it all, it really is.

For those not familiar with this sort of anticatholic patter, it was not started by Jack Chick, who made it popular, but rather Alexander Hislop. Hislop was a minster who looked to archeology to show the evils of the Roman Church. He found the evidence he sought, as do all who seek with such fervent bias. Everything he proposes is founded on the logical fallacy of false cause, also known as post hoc ergo prompter hoc. In this misguided thinking one looks at two things and assumes a connection that does not exist.

Even a cursory examination of these claims will show their ridiculous and tenuous nature. Hislop continual ignores the facts that do not fit into his trail of evil and invents connections that are false. My favorite is that IHS stands for Isis, Horus, Set, Egyptian gods. He picks the ones that are alphabetically necessary while ignoring the more significant gods like Ra and Osiris. There are over one hundred Egyptian gods so one could spell most anything with them.

The obelisk is not Egyptian, but Roman. It dates from the first century and is set up as a sundial. The Vatican also has an observatory. :shrug: If Hislop was writing today he would probably think this means Rome has ties with aliens.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.