Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

I just read a great book called Halo by Alexandra Adornetto, an Australian writer who just got her books published in the US. (She's 18 and her first book was written when she was only 14. Just to put this in perspective) This is the first part of a trilogy which will continue with a book called Hades in Fall 2011. This book is about three angels named Gabriel, Ivy, and Bethany who have assumed human form are sent to a town called Venus Cove on a mission of goodwill. But there's just one problem: Bethany has fallen in love with a human named Xavier Woods.
Now I know what you're thinking. No, it's not Twilight with angels. It's actually quite well-written. Adornetto does a good job of not making Bethany seem perfect--she makes lots of mistakes throughout the story and not just falling in love with Xavier. I think this is a great book and I recommend it.

See - the reason i dislike this right off the bat is because it tries to anthropomorphize angels, and make them less than perfect. The thing is, angels ARE perfect. And they are radically different than humans, a completely different species. Erotic love between the two is impossible - erotic and romantic love is distinctly human. Angels love with God's love: caritas, which is not human luv (not to denegrate that of course, just put it in its proper place, between HUMANS)

Btw, this is based off of Church teaching and tradition, not merely my own opinion. :o

SPOILER ALERT!. Note: I am putting the spoiler in white text out of courtesy to those who don't like spoilers.
For the record, while erotic love is brought up, (this being about teenagers it should come as no surprise) both Bethany and Xavier have an intimate, but platonic relationship. And Bethany is advised to keep it that way. This is one of the few pieces of advice she actually follows. As for the fact that she makes mistakes, I believe that the author couldn't help it because she wanted the reader to identify with Bethany. END SPOILER ALERT
Besides, it's just a story.

So when does Master Chief come in?

:DI knew someone would bring that up eventually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.