Hamas spy finds home in California, seeks asylum

article.nationalreview.com/437288/asylum-for-yousef/the-editors

........Yousef has a hearing tomorrow at which a judge will decide on his appeal for asylum. This shouldn’t be a complicated call for the judge or anyone else — Yousef deserves asylum. If our immigration system can’t distinguish between him and a true terrorist, it’s more witless and perverse than even we imagined.

Perverse and witless would be an understatement.

Here is the link to the AP article cited in the first post:
google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hrgjmmb3eX8TDEIAXEcp-TOfWpnAD9GKRJEO0

If the cost was so high, why did he write the book? Wouldn't it make more sense to lay low? Surely if he was such a valuable asset, Israel has provided for him to make a fresh start. A book doesn't seem necessary or wise.

I don't know why he wrote the book. I don't know why the Israelis do not squirrel him away somewhere.

I guess he thinks that maybe his Christian faith entails that he speak out against what is happening in his homeland, even if it means sticking his neck out. Repentance after all is only the first step.Penance entails good works to repair the damages wrought.

All that I do know is if the facts of the case are what they are, perverse and witless are a pretty good description of the American immigration system.

This is totally anecdotal, but a lot of Palestinians are pretty sceptical about this guy. He’s a former low-ranking Hamas member who decided to emigrate to the US for a better life and when he needs to justify his staying there comes out with an outlandish book claiming to be a top Israeli spy who saved the Israeli President’s life and got Marwan Barghouti (a Fatah leader) captured. There’s no evidence that most of this stuff ever happened.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosab_Hassan_Yousef

On June 24th 2010 the Shin Bet handler Gonen Ben-Itzhak who for 10 years worked with Mosab Hassan Yousef revealed his identity to testify on behalf of Yousef at an immigration hearing in San Diego. Itzhak has described Yousef as a "true friend" and said he "he risked his life every day in order to prevent violence."

the Israelis themselves have validated his claim. Regardless, his account is either truthful or not. If the immigration reject the truthfulness, then it becomes truly insane to deport him on account of what he said in the book. But if the accept claims in the book as evidence, it is truly perverse for them to be so witless as to what the book is about.

Mosab Hassan Yousef has been threaened with deportation after his request for political asylum in the United States was denied, since statements in his book about working for Hamas are being "interpreted as providing material support to the US-designated terrorist organization" despite his explanation that they were "intended to undermine the group." His case has automatically proceeded to the deportation stage

[quote="Dale_M, post:3, topic:203659"]
Here is the link to the AP article cited in the first post:
google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hrgjmmb3eX8TDEIAXEcp-TOfWpnAD9GKRJEO0

[/quote]

thanks, I never noticed that the link was not there until now.

If the cost was so high, why did he write the book? Wouldn't it make more sense to lay low? Surely if he was such a valuable asset, Israel has provided for him to make a fresh start. A book doesn't seem necessary or wise.

What I find objectionable about this statement is that for years so many people in the West have been demanding that moderate people from Moslem cultures speak out against what is truly offensive and objectionable about their religion/culture. Now that Yousef finally does stick his neck out and do just that, his book is being deemed unnecessary and unwise.

I fully agree that what he is doing is fraught with danger. The same would be true for all Moslems who would follow his course. No doubt many do not speak out for exactly those reasons.
Yousef himself would be a fool if he was unaware of the dangers. On the other hand, he is fully aware of the dangers and he speaks out anyways. Some might call that courage.

In terms of necessity, to the extent that moderate Moslems do not speak out, the radicals will own their religion. it is just that simple.

atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2010/06/sanity-prevails-.html

savemosabyousef.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/q-is-mosab-yousef-anti-israel-a-no/

This gives some insight into the man.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.