Hamza Yusuf Speach on the lecture of the Pope

It is an old topic but it is an interesting video

youtube.com/watch?v=X8GtHRqtAGI

best regards,

Meedo

With all due respect to Sheikh Yusuf, he’s very selectively quoting the pope’s address. He claims that Benedict quotes this emperor and just leaves it “like it is,” saying that the pope says nothing about what he actually thinks about it. This is false. Here’s the quotation from the speech where the pope used this quotation of the Byzantine emperor:

"Without descending to details, such as the difference in treatment accorded to those who have the “Book” and the “infidels”, he addresses his interlocutor with a startling brusqueness, a brusqueness that we find unacceptable, on the central question about the relationship between religion and violence in general, saying: “Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.”[3] The emperor, after having expressed himself so forcefully, goes on to explain in detail the reasons why spreading the faith through violence is something unreasonable. Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul. “God”, he says, “is not pleased by blood - and not acting reasonably (σὺν λόγω) is contrary to God’s nature. Faith is born of the soul, not the body. Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats… To convince a reasonable soul, one does not need a strong arm, or weapons of any kind, or any other means of threatening a person with death…”.[4]” [emphasis mine] Read the complete Regensbug Address here.

Hello sir/ Madam,

It is true from your post above that the Pope has commented on the way the emperor have held his dialougue. The Pope disagreed with the emperor manner as bieng too blunt and too much on the offensive. However He doesn’t address the argument of the emperor himself. He just addresses his manner in presenting this argument.

It is reasonable to see if you continue on reading that he pope identifies with the opinion of the emperor .

I have no disrespect for the pope. I disagree with this opinion on the basis of history though. And i though the discussion by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf was informative.

best regards,

Meedo

Hamza Yusuf is my Shiekh :thumbsup:

How many lies will you spout out on CAF? We Catholics are led by the Spirit of Truth and the Truth always conquers lies.

The reason that he doesn’t address the argument of the emperor is because that was outside the scope of his address. The address was about the relationship between faith and reason. (I’m a girl, by the way, just so you know.)

You know… as much as i don’t know you … i was hurt by you calling me a liar. Because i do no lie.

if your faith says that by posting an opinion on the forum makes me a liar , then it isn’t a strong faith. But i would like to believe more than it is you who isn’t strong .

There are still good catholics out there .

salam

Dear Miss,

Muslims however wished he would distance himself from the opinion of the emperor. He is a leading figure that speaks on behalf of Billion catholics. People and opinions who he will identify with will be followed.

best regards,

Meedo

Well, I felt that he did distance himself from the opinion of the emperor. :shrug: He said that the emperor’s remark was spoken uncharitably. And I also think that while in Jordan and Israel recently, Pope Benedict made quite clear that he respected the Muslim community. He even said so.

The Pope is not a stupid man he is very knowledgeable about Islam I am sure and it’s history. It is likely that he agrees with the quote but not the way it is imparted which is uncharitably. Islam was indeed spread by the sword that is undeniable however it is understandable that you deny this. However saying Islam is evil is most uncharitable evn if true. His Holiness understands that believing Muslims do not view Islam as evil and saying so to a believing Muslim is not going to accomplish any good whatsoever if you cannot do it charitably with love. I doubt that he is saying we must respect Islam but that we must respect Muslims and find ways to live together in peace and charity without resorting to fanaticism and namecalling simply for the sake of stating facts.

Keep in mind Christians can freely express without threat of bodily harm or worst, criticism of their religion as well as their prophets and religious leaders. Muslims however especially under Sharia Law will suffer unjustly for expressing any such criticism

I love my Pope but I was saddened that he felt oblidged to apologize for his comments but I accept he did so out of love not because he said anything uncharitable. Peace and God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.