Handbook for Christian Denominations?!?

Hi,

I was just listening to a Catholic Lighthouse Media CD by Jesse Romero where he referenced a book he called “The Handbook of Christian Denominations” and that it was printed by a secular publisher out of Nashville, TN. I have looked all over and can’t seem to find a book by that exact name…I even looked on the Catholic Resource Center website (which he referenced at the time that you could buy it).

Does anyone know if that book is still available somewhere? The closest book I could find is “Handbook of Denominations in the United States” by Frank Mead, Sam Hill, Craig Atwood…but I’m not convinced it’s the same book.

The only other clue I can give is some of the text which he read which was:
“When you go to section ‘R’ called Roman Catholicism it says the Roman Catholic Church existed for 1,500 years before any protestant church. It is the only church that goes back to the time of the Apostles…”.

I E-mailed him to see if he could clarify…but I’m not sure if he will have time to read and respond to my request. I figured I would ask some of my friends here at Catholic.com to see if you guys can confirm.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Yes, in my opinion, Romero was talking about the Handbook ***of ***Christian Denominations in the United States by Frank Mead, revised by Samuel S. Hill, published by Abingdon Press, Nashville, TN. Under Roman Catholic Church, the Tenth Edition, which I have, says:

“For the first 1.500 years of Christianity’s history, the Western world was almost solidly Roman Catholic . . .”. The Roman Catholic Church dates its beginnings from the moment of Christ’s selection of the apostle Peter as guardian of the keys of heaven and earth and chief of the apostles, and it claims the fisherman as its first pope."

It lists the major American denominations, the date they were founded and by whom, and a summary of their major beliefs. It does not list every denomination in the U.S., however.

You can order the 13th edition from Amazon.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=handbook+of+denominations+in+the+united+states&sprefix=handbook+of+denomi%2Caps%2C460

Thanks Jim. That was the book I was thinking also. Thanks for the confirmation…I would assume Jesse was using an older version as the speeches are typically from a while back.

Appreciate the response and info!

Every denomination would be impossible - that would take an entire encyclopedia to cover! :smiley:

The only one in western Europe is a bit more accurate- and I think that’s indicated in the full text. But you should expect something like that when you begin with five different sees united together, one breaks off and becomes a solo act, and then it experiences three decades of religious war along with five centuries of splintering.

That's a:thumbsup: good book. I have my mother's copy somewhere around here....She said, it wasn't perfect, but it did do a good job of sorting out what groups were related to each, & the like.

Hey everyone...thanks again for responding. Jesse Romero actually responded back to me and let me know the book we suspected (Handbook of Denominations in the United States) is the book he was using...he actually had the 10th edition.

Thanks again!

The only other clue I can give is some of the text which he read which was:
“When you go to section ‘R’ called Roman Catholicism it says the Roman Catholic Church existed for 1,500 years before any protestant church. It is the only church that goes back to the time of the Apostles…”.

onechurch,

It depends on what one calls a catholic. Most protestants consider themselves catholic and that their denominaion also “goes back to the time of the Apostles.”

They base this on the history that says there is no direct connection by any church but the true pastors and bishops of the church are those who have taken on the tasks of the apostles.

Rob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.