Happiness and Laughter

Would you please share this homily with us?

It’s interesting to do a search for the words “happy”, “happiness”, and “beatitude” on this website: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm.

That’s a link to an online Catechism of the Cathloic Church. Anyway, what can be a surprising teaching of our church is that God wants us to be happy, that’s always been His intention for man and He created us with that very desire.

sorry i don’t have them

In mainland Europe it is, to this day, quite common to have fiestas on Holy Days and patronal feast days.

Yesterday, in Weymouth, UK where I live we had a carnival. Apparently it was started by Edward II in 1318. I’m only guessing but I think that historically it must have been to celebrate the Assumption.
After Mass yesterday Father told everyone to go out and have fun at the carnival because it was such a great feast.

Where I used to live in Oxford, UK there is St Giles’ Fair on, I think, the Monday after the first Sunday after the feast of St Giles (typically Oxford).

Basically no we are happy in God’s name. I would be interested in reading the sermon you spoke about though.

It would be very good to know in which context he said this.

He taught this in multiple homilies spread throughout several 800-1000 page books. The books can be found on-line at the link shared below, volumes IX - XIV. Individual homilies can be pulled up and searched; I would suggest searching on the word “laughter”. I have all but one of the volumes on my Kindle, but searching takes me to the spot in the text, without identifying which homily I’m looking at.

http://ecmarsh.com/fathers/npnf1/index.html

D

Ty!

I’ll take a look. I happen to have books about patristic that include homilies, letters and etc. but I really don’t remember St. John Chrysostom being that harsh on laughter. And even if he were, it doesn’t mean it is a sin to do so.

Edit: But I guess the way of Christian Perfection doesn’t include laughter (based on the teachings of Saint Thereza de Avila)

Oh no… Does that mean it is sinful to laugh?

But wait…

As I said, it isn’t a sin

Update: she died.

The Saints usually advocate a love for the cross and sufferings. Also an detachment from all earthly things and a lot of mortification. Who have you been reading about?

Hmm, have you read Philip Neri? Saints wrote countless tracts, they’re not all suitable for everyone.

Praying for her and all her family and friends in this difficult time.

"From silly devotions and sour-faced saints, good Lord, deliver us.”

-attributed to St. Theresa of Avila

I’ll pray for your friend’s soul.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.