Happy 235th birthday, Army!

Happy 235th birthday, Army!

The Army will turn 235 years old today; units across Fort Hood are celebrating with cake.

The Continental Congress created the Army on June 14, 1775.

"For 235 years, the Army has been the strength of the nation, with generations of American men and women stepping forward proudly — as soldiers and Army civilians — to defend those freedoms, as well as those of our friends and allies," reads a proclamation written in honor of the celebration and signed by Army Command Sgt. Maj. Kenneth Preston, Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Secretary of the Army John McHugh.

"So, on this occasion of our birthday, we would like to thank the soldiers, civilians, families and veterans who have dedicated themselves and sacrificed so much to make the Army and our nation strong."

Starting at 6:30 a.m. today, 1st Cavalry Division troopers will fill the streets of Fort Hood when they participate in a division run in honor of the Army's birthday. The Division Special Troops Battalion, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade and 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigade Combat Teams are set to participate. The 4th Brigade Combat Team is currently deployed to the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk, La.

More than 20,000 soldiers wear 1st Cavalry patches on their left shoulders.

As with any weekday morning on post, Battalion Avenue will be closed at 6 a.m. to all traffic for physical training...
kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=42235

:thumbsup:

My cousin would say "Army stands for 'Ain't ready for Marines, yet, but my father is career Army (O-4).

Happy birthday, Army!

My father, the Army Colonel, would be pleased. (He has gone on to the great battlefield in the sky).

Go Army!

And, thanks for posting this.

[quote="Kassandra, post:4, topic:201882"]
My father, the Army Colonel, would be pleased. (He has gone on to the great battlefield in the sky).

Go Army!

And, thanks for posting this.

[/quote]

cool;0)
I was pretty lucky to have served in the Army.
I was AD at Fort Campbell,KY. It was an experience, for sure.

Post throws birthday bash

FORT HOOD — Even at 235 years old, the Army likes its cake.

Units across Fort Hood celebrated the Army's birthday Monday with cake cuttings and organized events like unit runs. The post's biggest run took place on the 1st Cavalry Division's half of Battalion Avenue as unit colors and guidons representing the big patch marked their territory.

The Division Special Troops Battalion, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 41st Fires Brigade and 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigade Combat Teams participated in the event. The 4th Brigade Combat Team is at the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk, La.

A traditional cake cutting led by the division's youngest soldier, 18-year-old Pvt. Alex Templeman, and its soldier and noncommissioned officer of the year, Spc. Robert Mullins and Sgt. Jose Rivas, respectively, followed the run.

The 1st Cavalry Division Museum also hosted an open house in conjunction with the Army's birthday.

Sabers cut into cakes at other Fort Hood units during Monday's festivities...

kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=42245

The Continental Congress created the Army on June 14, 1775.

And the other four branches, in chronological order:

U.S. Navy: October 13, 1775

U.S. Marine Corps: November 10, 1775

U.S. Coast Guard: August 4, 1790

U.S. Air Force: September 18, 1947.

I heard that "U.S. Army" stood for "Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet". :)

I had a partner a few years ago who'd been Navy; he said "U.S. Navy" stood for "U Should Never Attempt to Volunteer Yourself".

We used to say that "USAF" stood for "U Sure Are Fixed" (except there was another, naughty word used for "fixed".)

I've had Marines tel me that "USMC" stood for either "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children" or "Uncle Sam's Motorcycle Club".

There's about a billion of those acronyms, most of which, if I shared them, would get me immediately banned. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.