Happy Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Happy Assumption of the Virgin Mary every one, i really think this day is Beautiful, Lets all pray for each-other and for ourselves today, through the Holy Rosary.

M

Happy days! :):slight_smile:

Sigh… :slight_smile: I hope you go around wishing people a happy Name of Jesus Day, Baptism in the Jordan Day, Transfiguration Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Ascension Day, etc.

Why is today the Assumption of the Virgin Mary day? :popcorn:

Today is the Feast of the Assumption

you did go to Mass today didn’t you ?
:ehh:

just kidding, it isn’t a Holy day of Obligation in the US right now.

I love the First Class Feast days.

Went to noon Mass (OF), and that wasn’t enough lol. Just got back from a 6 pm Mass (EF) as well

Hail Mary, full of grace,
our Lord is with thee,
blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God,
pray for us sinners, now, and in
the hour of our death.
Amen.

:crossrc:

:stuck_out_tongue:

My struggling brother in Christ.

I just received from Amazon, a book I ordered 3 weeks ago. And I got it on Assumption Day! How Fitting.

It is “The World’s First Love: Mary Mother of God”, recommended by Br. JR.

So I’m slowly working through my Marian issues. :smiley:

i will :smiley: notice the Feast day is Assumption of the Virgin Mary, not Ascension, she was Assumed, not by her power but by GOD’s, so in a way its both honoring GOD, and Mary!
2 in one! :smiley:

On the Feast of the Assumption in 2005 we put our townhouse up for sale. My dad had recently died and we wanted to buy a house we could share w/ my mom.

The townhouse sold for full asking price in less than one week.

This was just before the market tanked, but I like to think the Blessed Mother had something to do with it, too. :thumbsup:

Happy feast day to you to Paul.

God bless.

Uhm… Still didn’t answer my question.

And sorry, I’m a new Catholic. :juggle:

Happy Assumption of the Virgin Mary Day is an odd phrase I suppose. “have a blessed Feast of the Assumption” may be easier on the ears :shrug:

At any rate, I think we all got the point of the thread :slight_smile: A special day for Holy Mother Church !

A special day indeed.

It is a holy day of obligation in Australia and our school closed for the day. Did any other Catholic schools have a holiday for the Feast of the Assumption?

Since this is a universal Feast in the Church, just sharing our Hymn to the Theotokos:

It is truly right to bless thee, O Theotokos,
ever blessed, and most pure, and the Mother of our God.
More honorable than the cherubim,
and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim.
Without corruption thou gavest birth to God the Word.
True Theotokos, we magnify thee.

I wish I could have gone to Mass today…(sigh).

Anyway, it’s 11:59 right now. Have a blessed final minute of Assumption Day!

I understand that you are asking about why or how it came to be celebrated on the 15th of August, rather than asking about the dogma of the Assumption, yes?

It seems to have been celebrated in August for the last 1500 years, although in various times and in various places, it was celebrated in January.

Regarding the origin of the feast we are also uncertain. It is more probably the anniversary of the dedication of some church than the actual anniversary of Our Lady’s death. That it originated at the time of the Council of Ephesus, or that St. Damasus introduced it in Rome is only a hypothesis.

According to the life of St. Theodosius (d. 529) it was celebrated in Palestine before the year 500, probably in August (Baeumer, Brevier, 185). In Egypt and Arabia, however, it was kept in January, and since the monks of Gaul adopted many usages from the Egyptian monks (Baeumer, Brevier, 163), we find this feast in Gaul in the sixth century, in January [mediante mense undecimo (Greg. Turon., De gloria mart., I, ix)]. The Gallican Liturgy has it on the 18th of January, under the title: Depositio, Assumptio, or Festivitas S. Mariae (cf. the notes of Mabillon on the Gallican Liturgy, P.L., LXXII, 180). This custom was kept up in the Gallican Church to the time of the introduction of the Roman rite. In the Greek Church, it seems, some kept this feast in January, with the monks of Egypt; others in August, with those of Palestine; wherefore the Emperor Maurice (d. 602), if the account of the “Liber Pontificalis” (II, 508) be correct, set the feast for the Greek Empire on 15 August.

Read more here: The feast of the Assumption

Lovely! Thanks.

And it is also celebrated by our Greek Orthodox brethren.
In Greece and Cyprus it is a public holiday, as well as in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chile, Republic of Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Colombia, East Timor, France, Gabon, Republic of Guinea, Haiti, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Republic of Macedonia, Madagascar, Malta, Mauritius, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Tahiti, Togo, and Vanuatu. It is also a holiday in some predominantly Catholic states of Germany, including Bavaria and Saarland.
(from Wikipedia)

We had a lovely Solemn High Mass (EF). :extrahappy:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.