Happy Birthday G K Chesterton

Please feel free to add your favorite Chesterton quotes to this thread today, the birthday of G K Chesterton. (limit it to 2 quotes per post)

Chesterton was born May 29, 1874

“A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”

“The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right.”

Nobody wants to bring a present to the party?:shrug:

If you can’t remember his quotes you can google in the words Chesterton quotes and find lots of them.

If you haven’t discovered the joys of Chesterton I suggest you watch the Chesterton TV show. I believe it runs at 6:00PM Sunday pacific time.

“tolerance is the virture of a man with no convictions” – not sure from where.

“The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice.” - A Defense of Humilities, The Defendant, 1901

“Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance.” - The Speaker, 12/15/00

“America is the only country ever founded on a creed.” - What I Saw In America, 1922

I forgot this one:

“If there were no God, there would be no atheists.” - Where All Roads Lead, 1922

“Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around.” - Orthodoxy, 1908

and also these two:

“The only defensible war is a war of defense.” - Autobiography, 1937

“How quickly revolutions grow old; and, worse still, respectable.” - The Listener. 3-6-35

When I fancied that I stood alone I was really in the ridiculous position of being backed up by all Christendom.

Two more presents:

Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.

I wish he were alive today. I wonder what he would say about global warming, gay marriages, pro-abortion Senators receiving communion etc. If anyone wants to attempt a possible “Chestertonism” I would love to read it.

See my sig. :smiley:

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” - ILN, 4/19/30

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.