Happy Birthday to me

And you are all invited to my pity party. :cake:

I would have liked this…

Home made card by kids, thoughtful small gift (not expensive, thoughtful) from DH. Then maybe breakfast (Cheerios in a bowl, that I don’t have to pour)

DH had said he would take half the day off. This morning (not last night, not yesterday afternoon) he says he can’t.

None of the things above happened, “I forgot your gift at work” Kids made no card, oldest one is annoyed about not having had a playdate yesterday with one friend, because he was at my MIL’S.

This year for his birthday I went shopping with the kids. Got him a CD and some clothes. I took the kids shopping so they could get to help pick out his gift, but also to learn that when it’s someone’s birthday, you show them you care.

I made him a great breakfast, got him a cake, spent the day with his family.

Last year for his Birthday, I was out of town because my Godmother paased away. I still remembered his birthday, and left a gift and card he could find while I was away.

I vented to my sister, she told me that I sould know that’s the way he is, why get dissappointed by his lack of effort?

**I am dissappointed by his lack of effort. **

Bottom line…put some effort into our relationship. Is that asking too much? He thinks going to work, and working is putting effort into our relationship.

Thanks for the listening to my vent.

Um…Happy Birthday Mary Gail! Your still special to all of us! :smiley:

Thank you :hug1:

Happy Birthday my dear -

Best regards from another August baby.... me...!!! :D

Pam

Happy Birthday!!! :flowers:

Happy Birthday Mary Gail!!! May your day be blessed.

:clapping::dancing::extrahappy::::wave::::console::flowers:

Happy Birthday, Mary Gail!!

Mary Gail,

I am sorry that your birthday is not as you would like…

But since it’s not–go create your own. Go to the supermarket and buy your own flowers, go to the store and buy something you want, a cd, dvd, clothing, whatever suits your fancy. Wrap them up, put them on the table and wait for your husband to ask where they came from. Tell him that you bought them for him, but want to know what time he is taking YOU and your family out for dinner, as you may have had to buy your own gifts, but you are NOT making your own dinner. And then don’t cook a thing. :wink:

Hopefully he will surprise you with something…

Happy Birthday!

But…the day is not over yet, right? Maybe your husband has something special planned for later?

I'd call the girls... and set up dinner tonight...

I'd wait 'till hubby walked through the door, say "thanks for watching your own children, I'll be home around 10. Order a pizza if you can't manage dinner."

Heck, I'd be setting up a spa appt. right now for whatever I could swing. A mani, a pedi, a massage.

Seems to me when people that SHOULD at least remember your birthday, but don't because they rely on you to do all that stuff... Then dang it... Have yourself a great Birthday!

I mean, I'd at least go get myself a yummy tasting cup cake and eat in front of everyone after dinner...

My husband managed to forget to give me a birthday card OR mother's day card (SAME DAY) on my very first mother's day... It's NOT the $$, we all know that! It's just taking a few moments to show you care! Especially when you do all the taking care of others...

I'm sorry you were left in the lurch... that just stinks and your feelings are hurt.!

Seriously, you shouldn't have to plan it... but I'd still have some sort of party... YOU DESERVE IT!

Happy Birthday!!!

Happy Birthday Mary Gail! :bounce:

I think your DH and mine were separated at birth! I’m so sorry your birthday has been crummy. And you’re right…it’s not about the presents. It’s about the effort that goes into doing something to show your spouse that you care about them.

Maybe next year, eh? :hug1:

And if your DH ever “gets it” send him my DH’s way. :wink:

Hey hon: My birthday too. :hug1: Very similar situation.

Even if our family and friends forget us (and they do), God hasn’t forgotten. :slight_smile:

(BTW, CAF, I’m not 75! I’m 55! :smiley:
No, I really am. Born in 1956, not 1936! )

:cake:for you
if I waited for signs of caring that suited my standards it would have been a long, unhappy 42 years

[quote="Irishmom2, post:7, topic:253503"]
:clapping::dancing::extrahappy::::wave::::console::flowers:

Happy Birthday, Mary Gail!!

Mary Gail,

I am sorry that your birthday is not as you would like...

But since it's not--go create your own. Go to the supermarket and buy your own flowers, go to the store and buy something you want, a cd, dvd, clothing, whatever suits your fancy. Wrap them up, put them on the table and wait for your husband to ask where they came from. Tell him that you bought them for him, but want to know what time he is taking YOU and your family out for dinner, as you may have had to buy your own gifts, but you are NOT making your own dinner. And then don't cook a thing. ;)

Hopefully he will surprise you with something...

[/quote]

That's what I'm talkin' about...

And as another said, it COULD be possible he's got something up his sleeve for tonight. I have to say, I guessed that about my DH once or twice to be doubly dissappointed... If you wait an see... and he doesn't follow through.. then I'd plan a big day for tomorrow!

Happy Birthday!

Are you sure he doesn’t have a surprise planned for later?

Happy birthday! Hay, maybe he's throwing you a surprise party, and he's not at work but setting it up!

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:1, topic:253503"]
And you are all invited to my pity party. :cake:

I would have liked this....

Home made card by kids, thoughtful small gift (not expensive, thoughtful) from DH. Then maybe breakfast (Cheerios in a bowl, that I don't have to pour)

DH had said he would take half the day off. This morning (not last night, not yesterday afternoon) he says he can't.

None of the things above happened, "I forgot your gift at work" Kids made no card, oldest one is annoyed about not having had a playdate yesterday with one friend, because he was at my MIL'S.

This year for his birthday I went shopping with the kids. Got him a CD and some clothes. I took the kids shopping so they could get to help pick out his gift, but also to learn that when it's someone's birthday, you show them you care.

I made him a great breakfast, got him a cake, spent the day with his family.

Last year for his Birthday, I was out of town because my Godmother paased away. I still remembered his birthday, and left a gift and card he could find while I was away.

I vented to my sister, she told me that I sould know that's the way he is, why get dissappointed by his lack of effort?

*I am dissappointed by his lack of effort. *

Bottom line....put some effort into our relationship. Is that asking too much? He thinks going to work, and working is putting effort into our relationship.

Thanks for the listening to my vent.

[/quote]

Happy Birthday, Mary Gail! Don't be too disappointed in your husband; that's just the way some of us men are. And be thankful your family is, hopefully, happy and healthy. That's the best gift of all.

Happy Birthday Mary Gail!
I really do hope your husband is planning a surprise for you, but if not,
I think you should follow the suggestions of the ladies here!
Great to see we are all like minded!
Go get a mani & pedi, a facial, go to the hairdresser for a trim or full out hair appt.
Go do something YOU like to do.
Go shopping ... Me - I'd spend the day at the book store.
Buy yourself something - price doesn't matter as long as it's just for you!
And if there's really no plans & the family come home expecting dinner,
take yourself out, but don't eat in the car!
I hope you day turns out better than the start & I will keep you in my
prayers that it does!!
Happy Birthday Mary Gail!!!!
God Bless!
Ellen. : )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ♥♥♥♥

:cake::tissues::hug3:

The standard excuse that men are that way is not really acceptable. It is not too much to ask for some effort and you have every right to be disappointed.

Maybe he didn't forget your gift and is planning some super special surprise, I'll be hopeful on your behalf.

Happy Birthday!

You will have your day when you enter heaven! There will be a great feast in your honor, Our Lord will be there to greet you and give you a hug.

But many that are first, shall be last: and the last, first. Mark 10:31

Happy birthday! i'm sorry to hear this but i'm sure there are many married men and women who have experienced the same during certain times due to stress, finance's etc although i'm not saying that's the case with your situation but just giving example. As for your kid's, well to be honest this is something that not many do anyway, they usually have to be told and instructed to do thing's like this as they usually live in their own wee world's, that's just kid's for you. About your husband i'm sure he would have loved to be off half the day with you so i'm sure there was a very good reason he couldn't do so. I hope you have a great birthday

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.