Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!

Ganesh Chaturthi, also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi, is the Hindu festival of Lord Ganesh (or Ganesha). It is a 10-day festival marking the birthday of Ganesh, who is widely worshipped for auspicious beginnings. Ganesh is the patron of arts and sciences, and the deity of intellect and wisdom. In 2011, Ganesh Chaturthi starts on 1 September and ends on 11 September. “Ganesha” literally means “Lord of Hosts”.

Ganesha and His brother Lord Subramanya once had a dispute as to who was the elder of the two. The matter was referred to their Father, Lord Shiva, for final decision. Shiva decided that whoever would make a tour of the whole world and come back first to the starting point had the right to be the elder. Subramanya flew off at once on his vehicle, the peacock, to make a circuit of the world. But the wise Ganesha went, in loving worshipfulness, around His divine parents, Lord Shiva and Ma Durga, and asked for the prize of His victory.

Lord Shiva said, “Beloved and wise Ganesha! But how can I give you the prize; you did not go around the world?”

Ganesha replied, “No, but I have gone around my parents. My parents represent the entire manifested universe!”

Thus the dispute was settled in favour of Lord Ganesha, who was thereafter acknowledged as the elder of the two brothers

A happy celebration to you all.

Peace,

Seeker

I don’t celebrate Hindu festivals but I do wish you all a happy festival.

Here are 28 photos from this year’s festivities
telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8745033/Idols-of-Hindu-elephant-headed-god-Lord-Ganesh-are-immersed-in-the-sea.html

This Ganesh Chaturthi Festival is mainly celebrated in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh,
and Gujarat and in all South India. In Ganesh Chaturthi Festival People brought their Home an Idol of Lord Ganesh.
hindusphere.com/ganesh-chaturthi-2012/

Vinayaka Chavithi is the birthday of God Vinyaka, the God of prosperity, wisdom and fortune.
Lord Ganesha is worshiped by the Hindus before any auspicious event or work.

ganesha-lord.blogspot.in/2012/07/vinayaka-chavithi-2012.html
ganesha-lord.blogspot.in/2012/07/vinayaka-chavithi-2012.html

Welcome to the forums, Ganesh! :wave:

September 19th is the big day this year

Jai Shri Siddhi Vinayaka!

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all of you…

Colorful photos from the 2012 Ganesh Chaturthi

telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9571572/Idols-of-Hindu-elephant-headed-god-Lord-Ganesh-are-immersed-in-the-sea.html?frame=2352865

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.