Happy Go Lucky Christianity

I heard two people today talking about age - on the radio -
they were 53 and 57 - midlife crisis - etc - decreases in this and that -
and he and her just sounded way too cheerful about dying.
Oh - they cant wait !
They think it’ll be oh so wonderful to go to Heaven.
It sounded a touch sickening, if you know what I mean.
Everyone has the average typical bad stuff that happens to them
through out their lives, of course.
With that in mind - do you have that type of sunshine joy ?

If you are asking if I have the kind of authentic joy that allows me to look upon life’s challenges with gratitude because I know that every challenge gives me another chance to advance toward holiness, then I sure wish I did! I admire those who have this outlook on life.

If you are asking if I have a superficial joy that allows me to whitewash life’s challenges and stick my head in the sand, then nope and I don’t want that kind of joy either.

As a Catholic, I am not afraid to die. I know that if Jesus is all meraciful and I love him with my whole heart and try my best to serve Him, there is hope that I will enter eternity. I long to be with Jesus.

Am I merrily anticipating my death and judgement? No. It will unavoidably come.

I do take the hardships, illness, and problems encountered as a part of life, recognize them as challenges, and try to take them in stride.

Yes !
That’s what I was trying to say !
I thought these two - sounded - well…cocky.

I trust in Jesus’ infinite mercies. No need to fear death but no need to want it to come faster either. Our place is on this earth right now for a reason, presumably to evangelize in some way

In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. I prayed for the wisdom, strength, peace and serenity to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

I could not imagine this sense of peace without a faith and trust in God. I can only say, from the moment of hearing about my cancer and making that prayer, I could talk about cancer in the same way as I talk about going shopping.

Wow ! What a wonderful thing to share !
The power of prayer -
That’s our true strength …and peace. Indeed.

I am in no hurry, like Falstaff in Shakespeare’s Henry IV Part 1

Prince Henry:
Why, thou owest God a death.

Falstaff:
'Tis not due yet. I would be loath to pay Him before His day. What need I be so forward with Him that calls not on me?

The Beatific Vision - seeing God as He is, is the desire of our souls. However, we must desire to go for God’s sake and not for some sensual or otherwise pleasurable or ego-centered reason. Sadly, bible Christianity has taken the richness and depth out of the faith and has made heaven into earth “without bills or ills.” I do not blame them as much as those who taught them such error, for they bear the greater sin.

Christian radio is the same: so syrupy sweet that it raises my blood sugar. Are we supposed to be joyful? Of course, but there is an emptiness, a vacuousness to their breathless praise and grace grace grace. You see, it’s all up to God and we don’t have to do a darned thing. Isn’t that just wonderful?

They are not completely wrong, but certainly are missing much of the faith.

That’s where I heard the two talking -
It was like " Martha Stewart radio " - for well to do house wives at 11 am.

I have expected to die each year since 2008, but I have utterly failed in that regard. So, I carry on, knowing that God must have profitable work for me to accomplish. The priest who married us 38 years ago said it best: “After that first Easter, no Christian should ever fear death.”

I’m not afraid to die but that doesn’t mean I see death as an escape from this life because I’m afraid of living it. This life gives us the opportunity to see how we’ll fare, to see how we’ll persevere and even grow in justice or perfection as we face adversity, struggle with sin, etc

That’s a good point. This life let’s us learn about ourselves as much as anything.

I think that if you’ve ever been near death, as a few on this thread mentioned, you come away with a whole different perspective. Being “glib” comes across as bravado or even bragadocius. But nonetheless, you still have a different perspective of no longer “fearing” death.

Having said that, I, personally, am such an optimist, that I usually appear to be (and, in fact am) happy. (Yes, I am one of those who consider this the best of all possible worlds, rather than one who is afraid that might be right). :slight_smile:

On the contrary, when I was a Baptist I was not afraid to die, because I believed “Once saved, always saved.”

Then, after converting to Catholicism (for marriage), and (years later) studying the Bible, Catechism, and apologetics, I came to understand that faith-alone is not sufficient. As a selfish jerk, I am currently scared to die.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.