Happy Hanukkah to All

It is the Christmas season of peace, joy, hope, and light. Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights and the joyous celebration that commemorates the re-dedication of the Temple and the miracle that took place there. It begins this Sunday evening, Dec. 6th, and continues until Monday evening, Dec. 14th. One candle is lit every night to commemorate the miracle of the oil that lasted for eight days instead of only one. We need as much light as possible in our current world of darkness. Best of all, Hanukkah is a holiday consisting of eating food which is oily, fattening, and delicious such as potato pancakes (latkes). Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah! to you, too meltzerboy. I came from a Protestant background so I’m not overly familiar with 1 & 2 Maccabees–isn’t that where it’s related or am I wrong about that? But I have heard of that miracle of our great God. A blessed holiday to you and all who celebrate Hanukkah. :heaven:

Happy Hanukkah to you as well - Do not eat too many :wink:

God Bless and Regards Tony

Thank you so much, Della. That’s a good question. Actually, the Books of the Maccabees are not part of the official Jewish canon although some Jews read and study them anyhow. The holiday of Hanukkah is not mentioned in the Written Torah, and the Maccabee brothers themselves celebrated Sukkot in their re-dedication of the Temple. The description of Hanukkah did not appear until the Oral Torah (Talmud) was compiled, particularly in the Gemara portion. Even here, specific rules of the holiday are not detailed. Nonetheless it has become a tradition of celebration. The Hebrew word “Hanukkah” literally means dedication but the historian Josephus referred to the holiday as the “Festival of Lights” and the name stuck. Further, the menorah has become a lasting symbol of Judaism.

Many thanks, Tony. I’ll try not to eat too many potato pancakes but I’m not sure I can exercise free will in these circumstances.

Happy Hanukkah my friend

So cool! I’ve heard of Hanukkah before but never have I learned much from the traditions and story that follow it. May you have a blessed Hanukkah!! And may God protect you! :thumbsup:

Well hope you have a good one. :thumbsup:

Peace Meltzer.

-Trident

Many blessings to you and your dear family friend!
Thanks for your contributions on the board.
PEACE!

Happy Hanukkah!~ You’re a real blessing on the board and I’ve learned a lot from you.

Mary.

Chag Sameach!

Happy Hannukah meltzerboy. if I lived in New York I would leave a small present on your doorstep each night, but, alas, I am in Arizona.
Enjoy the festival of light and the food also!

Shalom Melekh!!!

Yes, 1 and 2 Macc are the source texts for Hannukah, although not in the Hebrew Canon. It was at this time in the calendar that the land and the Temple were liberated and purified after the oppression and desecration under the Ptolemaic empire. (165 BC/bce).

ICXC NIKA.

The miracle of Hanukkah is a beautiful story of many of miracles God has done. :slight_smile:

One of my favorite episodes of Dr Quinn involved a jewish family moving to Colorado Springs. They did the lighting of the Menorah. So beautiful. Even the kiddie show Arthur has a jewish character - and in the holiday episode it showed how important it was to her family. :slight_smile:

I hope you have a good week - and win lots of gelt. Don’t eat too many latkes though.

Happy Hanukkah, Meltzerboy!:slight_smile:

Have a Blessed celebration! Have a wonderful week! Thanks for your contribution to this forum:thumbsup:

God bless you!

Peace,

Megan:)

Pax Christi!

Tell your friend Veronica/It’s time to celebrate Hanukkah!

God bless!

Happy Hanukkah!

:):D:thumbsup::popcorn::yup::bounce:

Thanks to one and all for your holiday good wishes!

Happy Hanukkah, dear. My sis is from the Jewish side of the family, so we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas together.

G-d bless you,
Stephie

Special blessings to you, Meltzer boy, on Hanukkah, and always!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.