Happy Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday!

Anyone doing anything special today? I am writing down my Lenten resolutions (actually writing them on the blackboard in my kitchen so they are front and center) and praying to keep them. I may also eat a piece of King Cake, just for the heck of it. While we are very far from New Orleans, a local baker makes a good one.
Otherwise, a normal day here. No parties or parades. Too cold.

I’m afraid I will fall into the Fat Tuesday routine. Though I go to fast-food places sometimes, I rarely drink soda, which is hard for me. Today I’m going to have that soda (Coke or Pepsi {trademarks} depending where I go with my friend). Not only that, I know the rich candy Easter eggs whose brand name shall go unspoken are out already, so I am going to have 1 or 2 of those to hold me over. :rofl:

I really do try to be good (food-wise and in other ways) in Lent because overindulgence of food is a real temptation for me and Lent is also a time to try to re-form habits from bad to good.

I’m drinking up all the leftover coffee in my house because I’m giving up coffee for Lent.
Also eating up all the leftover meat food in the house like roast beef and turkey chili.
Husband and I had our Valentine’s day get-together last weekend because this is a big work week for me.

I just had a donut. :slight_smile:

:scream: Wow, I can’t fathom going without coffee! Did you start to ease off it to not get headaches? I only drink 2-3 cups a day, but if I don’t have it, I wake up the next day with a headache. I have thought of giving up coffee for good, but I do enjoy it, and I believe it has health benefits.

I think I am giving up sweets, so I will probably get my fill of a chocolate babka my husband brought home from a great N.Y. bakery. May freeze the rest. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sheesh! be careful with that… such large amounts of caffiene arent the best for yoyr body…

I get maybe a small headache and fatigue for a few days, followed by a desire to drink huge amounts of water because of metabolic and water retention changes. I am not a daily coffee drinker, or tea or cola drinker either. I drink coffee about half the days each week. I do like it when I have it, but I am actually giving up all drinks but plain water, and since I did this last year I can tell you I will miss fruit juice more than any other drink, though I drink that even less often than coffee.

The minute I ended this last year I drank about 2 bottles of fruit juice and pounded them. I wasn’t all that into coffee for a few weeks, though I did get back to it eventually.

If you have never done this exercise I recommend trying it sometime for a week. Plain water only is like doing a sugar and refined flour-free diet. You will see and feel how much your system is affected by stuff we consume.

Other than my morning coffee, water is all I drink. Even when we eat out, I just have water with my meals. I never drink juice, and I only have a soda if I have no other choice.

Dude, I have like 2 cups left. I’m not drinking 2 pots. I buy an extra large from Dunkin because it’s cheaper than a small, drink half, put the rest in the fridge and reheat it in the microwave next day. My husband makes a face watching me, but it’s no worse than when my parents who had been in/ worked for the US Navy would reheat the same pot of percolator coffee for 3 days. (Navy and ex-military folks of earlier era were renowned for happily drinking horrible super-strong coffee that had been sitting on a burner for hours or days.)

My husband (Navy) will pour what is left in the pot from the day before into a cup and heat it if I don’t dump it out each day. :wink:

Glad to hear he is carrying on the tradition.

I am so happy to hear that it’s not just my family (Mom, army brother) that will drink industrial-strength reheated ooooold coffee. I think they actually prefer it that way!

I’m getting one of these! :grin: cheesecake

Went to early morning Mass and that is the most special thing I can do. In a little while I am going to Adoration to spend time visiting with Jesus. Taking all of you here as well as all my other people and special intentions to Our Lord.

ewwww… my mother-in-law and sister-in-law do the same thing… I can’t reheat coffee… I would rather drink it cold than reheat… something about reheating coffee just gives me the creeps…

don’t know why

God Bless and enjoy your coffee :slight_smile:

Nope, we won’t get past 4 or 5 cups today and that’s only because I am in a very boring all-day work training and consuming more than usual.

I’m not a big coffee drinker and currently am not drinking any pop at all, so my caffeine intake is not high.

Last time I almost overdosed on caffeine was at one of those boring all-day work training.

They are the worst, esp if sleeping in a hotel.

I know this thread is old but we usually do the same thing every year. I make a king cake, the kids decorate it, and we have pancakes for dinner. Because this year Valentine’s falls on the first day of Lent so we gave the kids their Valentine’s candy early so they could have a little.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.