Happy New Year to all Jewish members

Live long and prosper!

Shanah Tov everyone!

Many bleesings to you, both spiritually and materially.

:hug3:

My best wishes to you, and God’s blessing!

Happy New Year! God bless you in the coming year.

Thank you, marianne king, and all the other posters for your good wishes. And I also appreciate the Spock greeting! Welcome to CAF.

Hi - ya here Meltzer…

Can you tell us how you celebrate the new year.

Are there any special foods/dishes, celebrations and sweets you make & eat.

Is it a big holiday or low key…??

Happy New Year!

It’s a big holiday for Jews, the start of the High Holy Days, a period of reflection, prayer, and atonement for the sins committed during the past year. There is a ten-day period between the start of the New Year and its culmination on the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur. During this time, Jews pray that we and our families and friends may be inscribed in the Book of Life for the upcoming year. It is said that on Rosh Hashanah (New Year), the fate of the whole universe is written and on Yom Kippur, it is sealed. Special acts of kindness and charity are the norm during the period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. However, despite the solemnity and awe of R.H., it is at the same time a two-day period of celebration (one day for Reform Jews), which means, of course, plenty of food and wine. Chicken or brisket is the norm in my home, preceded by soup. And honey cake after the main course is a must, as this symbolizes a Sweet New Year. Yom Kippur, by contrast, is not a period of festivity: it is a solemn fast day, no food or drink, which lasts more than 24 hours. It is the holiest day on the Jewish calendar, apart from the Sabbath.

Thanks much for the reply, and BTW ~ let me know when the brisket is ready… :smiley:

I’m not too far from NYC… :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a Blessed New Year!

Ha, ha! Thanks so much jakasaki.

Happy New Year and may your name be written in the Book of Life and sealed there! :highprayer::harp::heaven::hug3:

Truly, it is always astounding to me to see how the ancient traditions of the Jewish people and nation have survived just as they have. So much hatred is against them even today, and still they press on with the same resolution as they always have had. Personally, it is a great honor for me to have known the Jews that I have in my life, and forever shall the Jewish people have nothing less than my utmost respect and admiration. Happy New Year, my Jewish brothers and sisters, and may God bless you and your families now and unto the end of eternity itself. שנה טובה, אחים ואחיות. אלוהים יברך את כולכם.

Happy New Jewish year for all the jewish people. Especially CAF posters. :slight_smile:

Happy New Year!

l’chaim!

Shalom!

Happy New Year to all The Jewish people.

!سنة جديدة سعيدة لجميع الشعب اليهودي

Shana Tova :slight_smile:

Chag Sameach

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.