Happy Reformation Day?

I have a friend who wrote this on Facebook. She is a reformed christian through and through, but I don’t understand why someone would say it is a happy day. I can’t imagine an Orthodox person writing “Happy Schism Day”.

I don’t totally understand a Reformed Christian being particularly excited about Martin Luther, but that said, certainly Lutherans commemorate the day.

Jon

I have a close friend who recently found his way back to the Lord and has dove head first into the Lutheran church. I wished him a happy Reformation Day. The way I see it, they are about as close to Catholicism as a protestant could possibly get, and he’s all in for Jesus now, and I have no issue with that at all.

they don’t see it that way. to them, it was the day someone finally broke out the clutches of the crazy, controlling catholic church

Generally, making a generalized statement about protestants generally leads to misconceptions, generally speaking.

Jon

Among many of my better catechized Lutheran friends there is a certain air of anguished happiness over this day. Happiness for reforming the church, anguish over the great multitude of schisms and innovative teachings that have spring from the wounds.

well, most of the protestants i know have told me that was their reason. and let’s be honest, that is kind of how it started. martin luther thought the church had corrupted church doctrine and there were lots of abuses among the clergy. which, of course, i odnt’ deny that their were. but i think there could have been better ways to solve the issue. i’m sorry if my comment doesn’t apply to you, it wasn’t meant to be a generalization. but i see your point, i will be more careful with wording next time. my apologies

So long as they don’t try to sack Rome again, it’s fine.

It will be better when we can say, “Happy Reunion Day.”

Maybe shake hands, or give a hug, and say “I’m really glad that we don’t have to take up arms against one another anymore.”

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

It is a blessing only in the limited sense that it quickened the internal reformation of the Church.

That is it pretty much. The adjectives will be slightly different but that is the sentiment. And its the root of all protestant denominations.

Having grown up in an LCMS church, I can say the “general” attitude toward the Catholic Church was one along the lines of resentment. Among those who had an opinion on the matter, the CC was not exactly looked upon favorably. I’m sure there were exceptions, but that is how it was.

Just post back tomorrow morning wishing them happy “All Saints Day”!:smiley:

When I listened to Christian radio years ago, Focus on the Family had a show and every Halloween there would be a program on the Reformation. It was not Catholic friendly and made me wonder if all the non-Catholic Christians I knew had such ugly thoughts about the Catholic church.

Pretty much they do have “ugly thoughts” about the Catholic Church (in one way or another). And if some Lay people don’t, their clergy do. All of the Protestant Churches have one thing in common… “The Catholic Church is wrong and they are right.” If the Protestant clergy ever said “hey those Catholics are OK” then the “need” for seperate Churches would disappear. The Reformation distroyed the Church and we Catholics are still affected by it every day.

I can understand why the protestant traditions may celebrate it, because they consider it the start of the liberation from what they perceive as the tyranny and false teaching of the church. Though on reflection how can they celebrate a schism? Would the original reformers celebrated their schism? Or did they look at it as the unlucky consequence of their enterprise.

All generalisations are wrong, including this one, generally speaking :wink:

While we can’t agree with Protestants that it is a happy day, I think that it’s a good day for Catholics to remember that much of the fault which led to the Reformation was on our side.

It’s also a good day to listen to the music of J.S. Bach. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.