Happy, sad, and overwhelmed DH got the job!

Well DH got the job!!! :smiley: So now we start the moving process. Any advice on how to move efficiently? :confused: I don’t even know were, or how to start, everything seams so very overwhelming right now.:bigyikes: DH is on cloud 9 which but I go from being really happy to really sad to terrified to excited to just overwhelmed about every 15 minutes. I have about 3 weeks to move 4 hours away to an apartment we still need to find, put a house up for sale in a market that stinks, and convince my mom that 4 hrs isn’t that far and that we will still see each other. I think I am going to have to buy some wine on the way home tonight!!! :whistle:

Throw as much stuff away as possible!!!

That is pretty much my advice!

Sell it (massive garage sale) or donate it if you can. Tax write off!!!

Also - remember that moving due to a job can be a tax write off too so save receipts for all your moving expenses.

Moving four hours away is a breeze!!! You could do a lot of that by yourself in weekend trips and save the big stuff for a moving company.

Do only one room at a time and label boxes according to the room they came from, not the room they are going to. It makes it easier by not having to think of where you want to put everything before you even get there, and allows you to pack before you have a place picked out.

If you have to think twice about throwing something out - keep it and get rid of it on the other end. Better to have it and glad you kept it than to cry over it once it’s long gone and you can’t get it back.

Start giving things to friends who may need stuff - students moving away to university, starting out on their own, etc. I hate the idea of just throwing things away because you are in a hurry - that does not serve anyone who may need the help, nor the environment.

And in the mean time - be happy and celebrate!!! :thumbsup: Congratulations!!!

~Liza

I agree - move little by little if possible. Much more manageable. I also agree about throwing stuff away. We got rid of tons when we moved 2 years ago. —KCT

Congrats and keep focused. It will all fall into place.

Thank you!

have a garage or tag sale next weekend
put everything out there that you absolutely cannot survive without. then go through that pile again and put more stuff in the driveway
haul everything that is left to goodwill or salvation army
put the money in the moving fund

Don’t move books, heaviest, least used, easiest to replace.

give each child one box in which to pack toys and stuff

pack only clothes they wear now, don’t hang on to clothes that may fit somebody someday.

pack the best two sets of linens for each bed, (4 for crib, toddler who still wets) give the older stuff away or use it as rags and padding for china, electronics etc.

pack two sets of bath linens for each person, ditto with the old stuff (4 for babies/toddlers)

be ruthless with shoes, best dress shoes, best school shoes, best sneakers, best sandals, toss the rest, except those absolutely required for a dance or sport which are expensive to replace.

pack your best dishes, and your best set of every day dishes. sell the rest
and so forth
your best 3 qt pot, best 12" fry pan, best omelet pan and soforth.

if you have possession you are not emotionally sure about ditching pack them in a well-labelled box TODAY and if you don’t even think about it or look for it between now and moving day, ditch it.

You can never be too detailed when you label the boxes. And I agree with giving away as much as possible.

As for buying boxes, depending on where you are, it might be cheaper to buy them from ULine and have them shipped to you than buying stuff from the “box” stores like UHaul, etc.

I bought a moving kit plus some individual boxes from www.uline.com and it was awesome and way cheaper than buying boxes retail.

Oh - thought of something else! Do NOT use newspaper to wrap things! Yes, it is cheap, but after handling it for a long time you can have a horrible reaction to so much ink on your skin. Pay for the blank newsprint from U-Haul, or I think even Home Depot and Lowes have it now. It is absolutely worth the expense - your stuff doesn’t get dirty with ink and you stay clean as well.

My mom nearly ended up in the hospital from a reaction like this - it wasn’t pretty, and not something you want to deal with in the middle of a move.

Also - remember that you are not moving out of the country. You don’t need to be THAT brutal and give/throw everything away. :rolleyes: It’s just a four hour move - don’t feel like you have to take yourself down to two pairs of shoes and a towel. :rolleyes:

~Liza

In one box, put everything you will need right away. Sheets for
all the beds, towels, toothbrushes, soap. Box 2, Have at least
two change of clothes for everyone. One for around the house,
another for church. Box three: Plates, cups,glasses,flatwear.
Easy- to- fix- in- one-skillet meals (think camping),
skillet,drinks and bottled water (going into an apartment you never
know the quality of the water), snacks, toys or activity supplies to
keep kids busy. Box four, Medicine and extra RXs for your new
location,don’t forget eyeglass or contact RXs as well. First aid kit.
I mark these boxes with a bright color and it goes in the first car
load to the new location.
Having made many moves, knowing you have the essential home
supplies right at hand, makes it easier for everyone.
As for the home you’re leaving, try to leave it CLEAN and if possible, get someone to help you “stage” it. Perhaps leave
enough furniture to give the buyer a good idea of how their
things will fit in. Maybe you can get some helpers from the
church to help you with this since you have so little time.
Repair the most obvious needed repairs. (Especially if you
leave the home vacant, repairs not made really stick out) I have sold 2 homes in a 'bad" market and sold them at listing
price. The price was reasonable and, fortunately, they sold
in a few weeks.
I’m happy for you and the family. I hope my son-in-law is blessed
with a job soon, it has been months and it’s stressful.

If you rent an apartment sight-unseen (probably not going to happen, since you’re only 4 hours away), be sure that when you go to move in that you have a lamp with you. Not all apartments have overhead lights, and that was a bad thing to find out when moving in late at night. Good thing Walmart was open 24 hours!

Also, bring a roll of toilet paper and a bar of soap into the apartment in your first trip. Again, learned the hard way. :o

God clearly has a plan for you two! Having moved several times, I offer this: Have help for DH and help for you. One of you is a planner and one a worker. Divide the tasks and work on them separately. Moving is very stressful and working together can be a near occasion of sin! Tempers flare easily, taking what little joy there is in moving right out of it. The helper could be the same person, first helping you, then DH, or vice vesa. If things get ugly, this third person could even keep the lines of communication open by being an intermediary. This will avoid some of the conflicts that make moving such a pain.

Great advice given in this thread.

Christ’s peace.

I have moved over a dozen times in my adult life, and the last time I moved, I numbered my boxes. All I wrote on the box itself was the number in large print. But I kept a list of everything I put into each box, and at the end of each day’s packing, I transferred that info to a spreadsheet, in alphabetical order. I knew when I packed that I would be making two moves within a year, so I didn’t even unpack many of the boxes. But a few times when I needed to find something which was packed away, all I had to do was open the spreadsheet and find out which box it was in. This took a bit more time at the outset, but was well worth it later on.

Flylady has some helpful moving advice here flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp

Also, you should sign up for your local “Freecycle” list on yahoo. It can be a helpful source of free (used) moving boxes, which get offered all the time. Additionally, if you decide to get rid of any stuff that’s still in usable condition, you can post it to the list. If anyone’s interested, they’ll come pick it up from you.

Margaret

1.) Rubbermaid tubs. Sometimes, these cost the same as carboard boxes.
2.) Paper towels as packing. Cheap!

Liquor stores are an ideal place to get empty boxes. They are sturdy enough to hold bottles of liquid, and small enough to be very manageable packed even with heavy items like books.

I really like puzzleannies suggestion to use old linens and things as packing material.

Congrats!
I am also in the middle of relocating, except I’m moving about 800 miles. I started my new job mid-Sept and was only able to take as much as I could fit in my car since I only had temporary living arranged. Hopefully next week I will be driving back to meet the movers (corporate relocation is great!).

I second the rubbermaid totes. You can re-use for summer/winter clothing storage or decorations/holiday storage after the move. You can also check with grocery stores to see when their delivery dates are and ask if you can have some of their dry-good or canned food boxes.
For my last move, that I did myself, I used my throw rugs, towels, linens to wrap my furniture and use as padding between things in my vehicle.
For your large items, check to see if your area has a two-men-and-a-truck, or similar local company. Sometimes the costs are low if it’s local and they don’t have to be gone overnight. Also it saves stress and backaches for you. If that’s not an option, I’d recommend renting a u-haul and make sure to rent a dolly/cart. You can move a lot more without straining as much and the moving goes a lot faster when you don’t have to lift everything into a pickup truck or into the trunk of a car/suv.
For supplies, you could also call a local moving company (like United vans, Allied, etc) and see if they have any recent/current moves where they are responsible for discarding the packing materials. (Sometimes on relocations, they actually unpack items and take away the packaging materials, some they may re-use or they may just recycle.) It doesn’t hurt to ask.

Also, on a personal note, remember to take it easy on yourself and your family. It’s stressful for everyone, but if you look at it as an adventure, it can be fun too.
Good luck!

Get your boxes from craigslist.org

Thank you and thanks for all the advice, I hope your son-in-law finds something soon :gopray:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.