Happy Thanksgiving - Catholic version

Happy Thanksgiving - Catholic version. It’s interesting that this country celebrates the Calviinst version and not the Catholic version. What’s up with that? I guess the Pilgrim’s version of Thanksgiving was just predestined in America. Oh well :shrug:

examiner.com/article/believe-or-not-the-first-thanksgiving-america-was-catholic?cid=rss

What’s the Catholic version? We do tend to go to Mass on Thansgiving, but it certainly isn’t a holy day of obligation. Other than that I don’t know a difference. In any regard, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you as well.

Based on the linked article, I'm guessing the "Catholic version" might center around chile con carne instead of turkey. Living a few miles from Plymouth, I'm sticking with turkey, and if that makes me a Calvinist, so be it. I'm sure hoping we don't end up with people thinking it's a "sin" to celebrate Thanksgiving because it's a "Calvinist / Protestant" feast!

[quote="SteveVH, post:2, topic:305910"]
What's the Catholic version?

[/quote]

Steve, Steve, Steve,

It's St Patricks day of course...even for an Italian like me. :D

Thank you for the article. I never knew that about Thanksgiving. I even went to a Catholic Grade school. I attended Mass today for Thanksgiving and now it will mean even more, though my thankfulness is directed to God and everything He has given me and it is expressed daily not just on Thanksgiving. God Bless us all.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="SteveVH, post:2, topic:305910"]
What's the Catholic version? We do tend to go to Mass on Thansgiving, but it certainly isn't a holy day of obligation. Other than that I don't know a difference. In any regard, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you as well.

[/quote]

If you click on the link on the OP, you will find the Catholic version of the first Thanksgiving.

We had roast duck for Thanksgiving as a way to grieve. I live close to the University of Oregon Ducks football and Standard roasted us last week.

Hi. It is not so much that it is a Catholic version. It is more a cultural thing practiced by people in America. Cultural yes, liturgy no.

I totally get what the OP is talking about.

In grade school we are taught about the Pilgrims who left England due to religious persecution and came here to establish religious freedom for all.

That is not the truth, the Pilgrims and other Calvinists sought regligous freedom for themsleves only and started to persecute Catholics, Anglicans and Friends (Quakers). They ran the founder of American Bapists out of Mass and he founded Rhode Island to be a place for true religious freedom.

Catholics are not the only ones that have a lock on Mass on Thanksgiving, my Lutheran church had Mass this morning too.

I think the explanation is more political than religious. Thanksgiving was a northern holiday. It was first proclaimed nationally under George Washington. It was then dropped, due to it being a regional holdiay. Lincoln revived it in 1863 as a way to rally the North in war.

The mythology around this holiday was that the US was founded in the North when obviously the first Europeans came to the South. The first British settlement was in NC and the first colony to survive was in VA. The major battles of the revolution were fought in the South. The full story of the origins of the US was replaced with the story of Pilgrims and other lesser northern accomplishments. There was no concern with presenting an accurate picture of history. It took a while, decades of government schooling, for this holiday to become universally celebrated.

I prefer Easter Monday as independence was declared in Ireland on that day.

[quote="Porknpie, post:4, topic:305910"]
Steve, Steve, Steve,

It's St Patricks day of course...even for an Italian like me. :D

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

[quote="Christian_Unity, post:7, topic:305910"]
If you click on the link on the OP, you will find the Catholic version of the first Thanksgiving.

[/quote]

You mean kinda like "read the intructions before assembling"? :D

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:13, topic:305910"]
I prefer Easter Monday as independence was declared in Ireland on that day.

[/quote]

You may like this... In Chicago, it's all about the river turning green and St Patricks day. Click the video and enjoy.

greenchicagoriver.com/

A modern day miracle occurs each year as part of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade celebration when the Chicago River turns an incredible shade of Irish green. This spectacular transformation ranks right up there with the parting of the sea by Moses and the Pyramids of Egypt.

[quote="andrewstx, post:10, topic:305910"]
I totally get what the OP is talking about.

In grade school we are taught about the Pilgrims who left England due to religious persecution and came here to establish religious freedom for all.

That is not the truth, the Pilgrims and other Calvinists sought regligous freedom for themsleves only and started to persecute Catholics, Anglicans and Friends (Quakers). They ran the founder of American Bapists out of Mass and he founded Rhode Island to be a place for true religious freedom.

[/quote]

This is true. Pennsylvania was also founded on religious liberty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.