Hard Sayings of Jesus

1 Like

Good article. Thanks for sharing. Here’s another one…

Matthew 19:4-6

Who answering, said to them: Have ye not read, that he who made man from the beginning, Made them male and female? And he said: For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they two shall be in one flesh. Therefore now they are not two, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.

2 Likes

Jesus had many hard sayings that offended many, but they were all TRUE. That is why he was despised and rejected and persecuted. If we embrace the TRUTH (Jesus) the world will reject us also.

Isaiah 53:

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

PERHAPS JESUS’ HARDEST SAYING

John 6: 53 - 60

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

Comment: Not ordinary, worldly, bread of wheat, from a baker, but CONSECRATED bread, come down from heaven in the Eucharist which has become the literal body of Jesus Christ. This bread, alone, confers eternal life.

59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

MANY of Jesus’ disciples said “This is an hard saying; who can hear it?”

But, these are the hard verses that Catholicised me! Where, except in the Catholic Church, can one find the true body and the true blood of Jesus Christ to eat TODAY? This is the mystery of trans substantiation! The true body and true blood only exist in the Holy Eucharist by the power of the Holy Spirit, invoked by an Ordained Priest

2 Likes

That didn’t use to be a hard saying; it was a self evident saying. Now it is an ignored or mocked saying.

4 Likes

The hardest ones I can think of is about hating our families and him not coming to bring peace, but a sword.

I know hate means love less, but the order of priorities is clear. God comes first, and that may mean making decisions that cost us our relationships with our families.

4 Likes

Or the fact that Jesus promised we would suffer if we follow Him.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone nowadays would consider these “hard sayings”, or at least no one I know.
We all understand this means we don’t give sacred things or our sacred gifts (like our bodies) to people who don’t show respect.

When I think of Jesus’ “hard sayings” I think more of when he speaks against divorce or tells people to give up worldly goods in order to follow him. Or the one Elf said about “hating” your family, or when he says those who follow him are his “mother and brothers” while seeming to ignore his actual mother outside. Those teachings are much more difficult for people.

3 Likes

The hardest saying of all:

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. Matthew 16:24

5 Likes

Yes, that one too.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the pearls before swine, a lot of people complain about why non Catholics, or Catholics in a state of mortal sin cannot receive the Eucharist. It seems to be hard for some people.

I never think of “pearls before swine” for that situation. I suppose it could apply. I tend to think of the verse where Jesus says he who receives an unworthy communion eats and drinks judgment upon himself. Why would someone want to incur God’s judgment?

I can’t figure out why someone who regarded Communion as so important wouldn’t just become Catholic and/or get out of a state of mortal sin, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.