Hard to find reconciliation times

It seems like it would be easier to be able to go to confession, especially considering that you shouldn’t receive the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin, or you are committing another mortal sin. I have done this many times, and I know its wrong. It has been 2 months now since my last confession. I really wish it was as easy as just popping into the Church and being able to receive the Sacrament.

Most priests will hear Confessions by appointment, so it should be as simple as picking up the phone and setting up a time to meet at the church. But if you don’t want to do it that way, check out the diocesan website in your area. Many of them have all the Mass/Reconciliation times listed on there. I keep a printed list of Mass/Confession times in my wallet for about 20 churches in my area, since you never know when you may need it!

Of course, I’m blessed to belong to a parish that has Confession before every Mass, which I wish were standard for all churches that have priests able to do so.

This is just a thought. What if all Catholics went to weekly confession? I wonder if all priests would be overjoyed. I remember a small Protestant church in an urban area that felt they had received a prophecy of an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in their area, and that their church would be filled to overflowing. This prophecy came from a member, not a leader. The church pastor and youth pastor liked putzing around in the office during the day, and staying home in the evening with their families. I asked the pastor what he would do if there was a sudden overflow of people needing discipleship, and his response reminded me of Ralph Cramden. “homina, homina, homina…” He did not seem to want the extra work that would come with an outpouring, and the youth pastor was already openly resentful of having to devote 2 nights per week to youth group.

In our area the confession times at most parishes precede the Sat evening Mass and that makes it very difficult sometimes to get there. You can make an appointment but the priests are already stretched to the max and I feel bad adding anything additional to their schedule. I wish there were more opportunities also, but I also pray for more priests.

In our parish, Confessions are head for a half hour before every Mass, all week long. Plus three hours on Sat afternoon.

My wife got up early yesterday (Wed) to have her confession heard before 6;00am Mass. She prefers that to the longer lines we get at the 9:00am or the noon daily Masses.

But yes, Father was in the confessional at 5:30am (as he, or our associate , are every day), and yes there were people there to confess.

I second this. Sometimes I can’t get to where I usually go for confession, so I keep a list of alternative places where I can confess if needed, including their scheduled confession times and phone number. This way, I get to confess on a regular basis (every two weeks, in my case) even if life gets in the way. :thumbsup:

Only one way to find out.

The priests I know see administration of this particular sacrament as one of the most important aspects of their vocation. Just as a busy priest will often find a way to accommodate a sincere request for spiritual direction by a person who is serious about his/her spiritual life, so too will a busy priest find a way to hear the confession of a person who is serious about seeking absolution for his/her sins. Just this morning I served a Mass that I don’t normally serve, and I asked the priest if he would hear my confession afterward. He didn’t hesitate to say yes. So I encourage you to not be shy about asking. Don’t think you’re bothering them. You would not be putting anything on Father’s plate that should not already be there! :yup:

In my Parish we have confessions on Saturday mornings & after the three Saturday evening Masses. If needed the Priest will hear confession during the Monday night adoration Holy Hour as well. And Confession is always available by appointment. Still it is difficult for some people.

The problem with just popping into the church is that the priest may not be there. :shrug:

I know our priests do sick calls, hospital visits, prison visits. I know our pastor spends time with our builder since we are currently under construction. He also meets with every couple planning to marry, at our parish.

People need to remember that priests aren’t just sitting there waiting for something to do. They are very busy keeping the parish running.

Does your parish offer times for Confession? What about parishes around you? Have you tried to make an appointment for Confession?

Average weekly Mass attendance at my parish: 2000. Average minimum time for an individual confession: 3 minutes x 2000/60 = 100 hours. Average waking hours per week: 112 :shrug:

Interesting calculation.

So one of our priests would simply hear Confessions. He would do nothing else. Well, I guess he could have Mass, but our pastor would then have to be in the Confessional to hear confessions.

I meant to add one other factor, at least for my parish

Average weekly Mass attendance at my parish: 2000. Average minimum time for an individual confession: 3 minutes x 2000/60 = 100 hours. Average waking hours per week: 112 x 1 (the number of priests at our parish) =112 hours

We have two.

So, the pastor could still do home visits, hospital visits, prison visits and the like. But the associate pastor wouldn’t be able to have food or bathroom breaks until the pastor was around to hear confessions.

We have Confessions 6 days a week.

I imagine priests are assigned according to wherever the need is so if one church started having 100% parishioner confession, the need could be met but if all parishes had the same thing happen there would maybe be a huge shortage of priests. Would they then create lay confessors? That would be a huge mistake.

If the priest only has confession for one hour on three days a week, and the faithful came every week, then only a fraction would get to confess.

I so agree with you. I have missed my Sunday obligation once or twice since my last confession, which then starts kind of a downward spiral, where I feel I can’t go and receive until I confess, but I can’t often get there on Sat. afternoon, so then it kind of feels like what’s the point in going to Mass. I wish there were some time during the week, or on Sunday before Mass. We have a large Parish - I don’t understand why Reconciliation times are so limited.

Not possible. During reconciliation, the priest is a stand-in for Christ. It’s not Father so and so that we are confessing our sins to, it is Christ himself and it is Him that forgives our sins. This is not possible with lay people.

That’s not really possible to meet 100% the need for confession in our state. We have over 1,200 families and Fr. has confession twice a week. I’ve never known him to turn anyone away or not take an appointment. We do need priest to say Mass as well as the other sacraments.

There were early martyrs that died for their faith, in seems to me sometimes that people want things to be uber-convenient otherwise they don’t see the point in going to Mass… Do you all know how blessed we are that we can go to reconciliation or Mass without persecution? Without risking our lives? It seems to me that we can go out of our way a little or inconvenience ourselves just a tiny bit. For example, the Deacon’s wife getting up and being there at 6am…not really convenient I am sure but she makes the effort.

The Priest at my parish is also director of Vocations for the diocese. He is always very busy. He does try to have confession before Mass. So that’s good. But time is short then.

I did drive across the city I live in to another Church that had a scheduled Reconciliation period today, with 2 confessionals going. There were only 2 other people there when I went.

I saw a Polish priest I am familiar with, and had confessed to once before, but I posted on the board here about it because I didn’t hear him say the Words of Absolution.

I never actually heard the words “You are Absolved”, and that bothers me.

Today was basically the same. However, he did say that my confession was good, and told me he would now say the Words of Absolution. I could hear him behind the screen talking extremely quietly, so he must have been reciting the Absolution, and I’m guessing it was in Latin, since he is an older priest, and like I said, he is from Poland with a thick accent. However, it didn’t sound like more than just whispering, and I couldn’t make out any words exactly.

So again, I didn’t hear the words “You are Absolved”, and again I felt uneasy.

He then gave me my penance, and said go in peace. I blessed my self, said Amen, and went out and did my Penance prayers.

Nobody was waiting after I left, and while I was praying, I heard him come out of the confessional. When I finished praying, I got up to leave, and he did acknowledge me in a friendly manner. However, it was strange that he doesn’t wait in the Confessional for people. In fact, he did the same when I went in. The lady before me had seen him, then finished and left. I was waiting to see the other Priest, who had someone in the confessional. But Father came out, and looked at me, and I felt uncomfortable sitting there waiting for the other confessional, especially knowing what happened last time, so I went into his, and he went behind the screen.

It was just strange, and I didn’t really feel any better after I left, to be honest. It’s almost like I feel as though I didn’t get the intended Grace from the Sacrament.

The priest is allowed to say the absolution words quietly. That’s okay. If the priest is not fluent at English he may not know how to say ‘You are absolved of your sins.’ If you are unsure, send him an email (google the parish) and say, sorry father I have a scruple that I did not hear you say the words ‘You are absolved from your sins.’ Say -maybe I didn’t hear you, was my confession legitimate?’

If you are unsure, you can confess them again to the other priest.
If you did that. Be at peace.

Confession isn’t about getting a feeling afterwards. Jesus told St Faustina trust God has forgiven your sins, because He has. The sins you confessed are gone forever. God chooses to no longer remember those sins.

Also, it’s very possible satan wants to block you from believing your sins are forgiven -he generally tries to make people think, ‘I didn’t make a good confession because…’ If that is the case ignore the bad spirit and plough on,

Just ideas!

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.