Hardcore Sola Scriptura website, throws down the gauntlet to Catholics/Orthodox

Here is one site bible.ca/bible.htm which really brings it on to Oral Tradition believers such as Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. As well as other Protestants who do not believe in his own “correct” understanding of Sola Scriptura. Anyone else care to take a stab at it? But be warned the Fundamentalist owner of the site is a one man Magisterium.

Here are his refutations of “extra-biblical oral church traditions” bible.ca/sola-scriptura-tradition.htm

Then he must believe in the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, by using his method of private interpretation it is cleary spelled out in John 6: 51-58 and 1 Corinthians 10: 16-17

But Protestants aren’t immune to his tripe either, as you will see here bible.ca/sola-scriptura-illumination-holy-spirit-individual.htm

:rolleyes:

[quote=Catholic29]Here is one site bible.ca/bible.htm which really brings it on to Oral Tradition believers such as Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. As well as other Protestants who do not believe in his own “correct” understanding of Sola Scriptura. Anyone else care to take a stab at it? But be warned the Fundamentalist owner of the site is a one man Magisterium.

Here are his refutations of “extra-biblical oral church traditions” bible.ca/sola-scriptura-tradition.htm

Then he must believe in the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, by using his method of private interpretation it is cleary spelled out in John 6: 51-58 and 1 Corinthians 10: 16-17

But Protestants aren’t immune to his tripe either, as you will see here bible.ca/sola-scriptura-illumination-holy-spirit-individual.htm

[/quote]

I have been to that site, it is very anti-Catholic.

This is one of my favs and one of the first A/C sites I ever stumbled across! I love how he tells us that the Church insults our intelligence when it says we cannot intepret Scripture on our own, but then he turns right around and says anyone who doesn’t interpret it just like him is wrong.

Likewise he says the Bible is as easy to read as a newspaper, yet he has these complex analytical “proofs” of little verses in order to “prove” his doctrines.

Also, you gotta love a guy who hates on Santa Claus.

The question that I always present them with is, “If the bible is the sole rule of faith, what did the apostles use to preach to the gentiles? None of the gospels had yet been written.”

Ha! Welcome to the astounding sophistry that is the anti-Catholic polemic.

Scott

sola scriptura is so great that it has led to doctrinal unity amongst all Protestants!!! its amazing how they all agree(interpretation) on almost every thelogical subject–they all interpret the bible the same way-=–infant baptism- they all agree, eucharist- they all agree, justification-they all agree, predestination–they all agree-- once saved always saved–they all agree-- is baptism necessary for salvation–they all agree, the atonement–they all agree–it amazing isnt how sola scriptura has worked for 2000 years----i mea you can even trace it backed to the earliest Christians everyone believed since the beginning:) :wink: :confused: :frowning:

bible.ca is the Church of Christ site. Church of Christ folks are about as fundamentalist as they come, but you should be aware that they have fundamental disagreements with more garden variety evangelicals such as Baptists.

[quote=jimmy]I have been to that site, it is very anti-Catholic.
[/quote]

That site shows a “fundamental” misconception of what Sacred Tradition is.

If you only allow your enemy swords of straw, he will be a very weak enemy indeed. . .

It is the Church which determined which books were to be in the New Testament by Sacred Tradition and the Holy Spirit. How does he account for the first 400 years or so until the New Testament Cannon was established? Also, most people for well over a thousand years couldn’t read.

[quote=Genesis315]Also, you gotta love a guy who hates on Santa Claus.
[/quote]

:rotfl:

…on another note, I’m tempted to email him the answers to his “Irrefutable questions that Roman Catholics and Orthodox can’t answer”: bible.ca/catholic-questions.htm

…on another note, I’m tempted to email him the answers to his “Irrefutable questions that Roman Catholics and Orthodox can’t answer”: bible.ca/catholic-questions.htm
[/quote]

Why don’t we work on it here and now?

Question #1: If the Roman Catholic church gave the world the Bible, being infallible, then why did Rome reject or question the inspiration of James and Hebrews , then later accept it? Conversely, Rome accepted as scripture books that were later rejected. If the Catholic church really is illuminated by the Holy Spirit so that men can trust her as “God’s organization”, why was she so wrong about something so simple? Should not the “Holy See” have known?

I would say something to the effect that this confuses infallibility with omniscience. Maybe some of you budding apologists can give a fuller answer.

Scott

I think that the question itself proves the point. I’m not sure when the CC is said to have rejected them. I thought that it was Luther who did. Anyway, providing the premise of the question is true:
It proves the truth that the Holy Spirit guides the Church since it led her to accept these books as inspired and to include them in the Canon of Scripture.

Nothing frustrates an A/C more than when you agree that some Catholics have been proponents of incorrect theology. That there are many writings of ECF that the church rejects as wrong. Of course, when it comes to faith and morals, the CC can teach no error as it is protected by the Holy Spirit from doing so.

This sight has a section on the ECF but gives a warning that some of the works of the fathers used by the Church to support its doctrines are in fact forgeries. How can you argue with people who are so blind to truth?

I avoid these sites. Life is too short to waste on them. I do think that it is important to know what charges are thrown around about the church;we need to know them to dispute them. But some sites are so rabid and diseased that they are best left alone.

How can I trust their reading of the Bible when they can’t even read a user manual on how to create a decent web site?

[quote=Catholic29]Here is one site bible.ca/bible.htm which really brings it on to Oral Tradition believers such as Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. As well as other Protestants who do not believe in his own “correct” understanding of Sola Scriptura. Anyone else care to take a stab at it? But be warned the Fundamentalist owner of the site is a one man Magisterium.

[/quote]

I like this one best: Its the you have to fight me… but you can only fight me by my rules… . LOL

We challenge traditionalists to give us one example of one apostolic oral tradition that is still practiced in the church today. Remember, you cannot quote the writings of the apostolic fathers, because that is not oral but written"… etc…etc…etc…

brandon

Pray for the people who run that website, and others like it…heap prayers upon them and ask the Lord to help them in any and all ways He can.

I have been there many times, yes it is very anti-C

But one thing that you should notice is that it inst a bunch of scholars putting this out. If you look at each anti-C page you will find that it is one guy who is doing it all, almost all the anti-C pages reference to him (who is nothing more than a disgruntled Catholic). Best thing is he isnt even part of that church, but the pastors love to use his stuff. Dont worry about it, its the same old mud slinging that has been refuted many times. The real power of the site is the domain name, and its hard to teach people once they have been exposed to lies.

[quote=reggie]I think that the question itself proves the point. I’m not sure when the CC is said to have rejected them. I thought that it was Luther who did. Anyway, providing the premise of the question is true:
It proves the truth that the Holy Spirit guides the Church since it led her to accept these books as inspired and to include them in the Canon of Scripture.

Nothing frustrates an A/C more than when you agree that some Catholics have been proponents of incorrect theology. That there are many writings of ECF that the church rejects as wrong. Of course, when it comes to faith and morals, the CC can teach no error as it is protected by the Holy Spirit from doing so.

This sight has a section on the ECF but gives a warning that some of the works of the fathers used by the Church to support its doctrines are in fact forgeries. How can you argue with people who are so blind to truth?

I avoid these sites. Life is too short to waste on them. I do think that it is important to know what charges are thrown around about the church;we need to know them to dispute them. But some sites are so rabid and diseased that they are best left alone.
[/quote]

what do you mean by CC, ECF and A/C?

[quote=Ignatius]It is the Church which determined which books were to be in the New Testament by Sacred Tradition and the Holy Spirit. How does he account for the first 400 years or so until the New Testament Cannon was established? Also, most people for well over a thousand years couldn’t read.
[/quote]

I posted my answer there, haven’t had a response as yet.

[quote=Ignatius]what do you mean by CC, ECF and A/C?
[/quote]

Catholic Church, Early Church Fathers, and Anti-Catholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.