Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV series

As I approach 40, I find my memories getting fuzzier! :stuck_out_tongue:

My niece has gotten into the Nancy Drew books (the classic ones, not the “case file” ones) and I remembered that, back in the day, there was a TV series… okay, in all honesty, I remember Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson being in the Hardy Boys series and that there was a Nancy Drew series that alternated. Anyway, I found the series available from Amazon.com, but before I get it for my niece, I have to ask if anyone remembers anything from that series that would be inappropriate for a young girl to see.

In all honesty, I’m more concerned that her dad won’t let her see it if there are too many scenes of teenage romance, bare-chested guys (wasn’t there an episode where Frank and Joe Hardy went to Hawaii?) or girls in bikinis (don’t know if Nancy ever went to Hawaii).:confused:

That may seem extreme to some of you and you might not agree with him, but that’s the way it is, so please don’t give ME grief about it! :rolleyes: In short, if anyone’s memory is better than mine, please let me know what you remember about the series.

Thanks everyone!

How old is your niece? I remember being into the books big-time when I was younger.

There are a couple (I think there’s one when Nancy and her friends are on holidays in Kenya for example) that mention swimsuits - don’t remember bikinis specifically. Nothing inappropriate about her boyfriend or her friends’ boyfriends, nothing that should cause her father concern.

I only saw a few episodes of the TV show, but I don’t recall anything in there that would be inappropriate.

I’m a homeschooling mom who doesn’t have regular Tv in my house and my daughters have the series. Yes there is one episode with girls on the beachi I’m guessing some had bikini’s but it’s not like Baywatch. There is also a epsiode where Parker Stevenson runs out the house in a TV shirt and boxers to chase a thief. Rather funny I thought - he gets pulled over by the police. I didn’t see a lot of teen age romance as part of a serious plot. Going out to dinner on double date once or twice I remember, talking about liking girls. I’ll have to check on the barechested thing. They were in a surfing competition so mostly I remember surfing outfits not swim trunks.I’ll try to pull it out tonight as scan through and get back with you.
I really don’t have a problem with it. Ofcourse I had a huge crush on Shaun Cassidy so maybe I’m a bit biased.:smiley:

:thumbsup:

Biased? Not at all. Good taste, I call it!

(so confess… did you have the t-shirt? My dad wouldn’t let me have one and all my friends did!:frowning: )

Thanks for the input!

How old is your niece? I remember being into the books big-time when I was younger.

Nothing inappropriate about her boyfriend or her friends’ boyfriends, nothing that should cause her father concern.

I only saw a few episodes of the TV show, but I don’t recall anything in there that would be inappropriate

My niece is in the “tween” years… 12, but her dad is a widower and thus a tad bit nervous about what’s to come as she gets older… I guess he’s bound to be a little more overprotective than the average dad.

Well I did a quick scan through the episodes. There weren’t romantic storylines other than a few episodes showing group or double dates briefly. The only epsidoe that you saw any characters bare chest was the Hawaii one. It was Shauns an only for a minute or two at the most. There were bikini’s in that one but I have to say not like what you see on TV today with oversized busts and cleavage.

In fact on the back cover of the dvd’s there is a small picture of Shaun Cassidy standing with a girl in a pink bikini that I never saw in any of the actual episodes.:confused: One episode the Hardy boys, their friend Chet and Calli go to visit her uncle. Well the uncle is missing from his house and all 4 end up staying the night waiting for him. The girl sleeps upstairs and the boys downstairs fully clothed in the living room.

On Nancy Drew there is mention of Ned’s crush on Nancy but no romance in any of those episodes either. A little dancing -no slow dancing. That’s about it.
Actually the manner of dress is incrediably modest by today’s standards. This is the 70’s where collared shirts under sweaters and tweed jackets were popular. Lots of high collared blouses with big bows at the neck.
I’m sure your neice would find the 70’s fashion statements more amusing than enticing. And in all honesty the way the characters dress and act they wouldn’t look like teens to a 12 year old today.

I didn’t have the T-shirt either but I did have a nightshirt.:stuck_out_tongue:

Parker Stevenson! Be still my beating heart.

What about the old Nancy Drew movies from the 1930’s? They starred Bonita Granville… And there was some boy whose only job in the plot was to show up whenever she needed to drive away (she had one of those “hand crank” starters). Being a children’s movie from the '30s there’s a certain innocence that was lost during the '60s. I also like them because it was a day and age when a lady knew how to wear a hat!

Let me find a link…

nancydrewsleuth.com/cmovie.html

Amazon has them for pre-order…

I never knew this existed! Wow! Thanks!

I think I’m going to get the TV series for my niece, too. I remember wearing those “fashions” :eek: back in the day… if nothing else, it’ll be good nostalgia for me!

Thanks to all!

My daughters have one disk we picked up at Walmart in there $1 dvd from that series. One thing that kind of turned me off to it and and my daughters noticed it too was how ditzy Nancy is portrayed and how the men in the show don’t take her seriously because she’s a female. :rolleyes: Ofcourse this was the 1930’s.

On the subject of Nancy Drew, they’re coming out with a Nancy Drew movie this summer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.