Harmful neighbours

Hi,

I know this sounds really mad, but there's a couple in my neighbourhood that practice witchcraft and solicit spirits--and openly admit to it. My other neighbour noticed two subdued, but troubling and unusual occurences around their home. The people who live in the flats below the couple also report strange activity going on, and loads of people have noticed strange objects in their windows.
The magic's not the main problem. These are not good people in any sense whatsoever.
On a good day, they're just a nuissance, blasting bashment music so loud that I can hear it clearly upstairs, on the side of the house farthest from them, with the door closed -- a wonder they don't go deaf in their own home. Sometimes the lyrics are about explicit sex and rape.
Worse, they're destructive, dropping rubbish -- chocolate / ice cream wrappers, popsicle sticks, soda bottles, used condoms (LOADS) -- on our side of the fence, and my family knows for a fact that their children jump over our property to arrange rocks and sticks in shapes (which we would assume innocent, if their parents weren't witches). They've also damaged the lanlord's property, going as far as to cut off the bottom, metal half of their back door, a screen door. The left the square near the front door.

Many of us in the neighbourhood also suspect that they broke into a house nearby, stealing children's toys, Playstations, etc. Since then we keep a close eye on each other's homes and take care to leave the house discreetly.

You would think, after all that, the landlords wouldn't renew their contract? Well, they did! The money they're getting for the flat was above the price they wanted, and it’s guaranteed to come in. Before this couple moved in, we were on almost family terms with the landlords, for years. Now besides “good morning” and so on we don’t talk.

What can we do? My family has for months ignored them in public, keeping our distance, seeing "past them" and not speaking to them. We've also trying to install CCTV, but it's expense.

Do they know you are Catholic? I ask because I once had a run-in with similar folks, and according to them they target Catholics when possible. I say put some statues of St. Michael on your property, and pray to him for strength and protection. Maybe his intercession will help your land lord come to his senses.

Prayers for you and this most upsetting situation.

First and foremost my concern would be for the children living in the home. Are you able to call the authorities do you have a Child Protective Services in your area? Not sure if witchcraft would be grounds to investigate as they could argue it is their religion...however blasting music about rape, unclean conditions, used condoms all over the place and breaking into people's homes and would be clear cause for concern.

For yourself and your family all I can suggest is prayer, avoiding them and discussing concerns with the landlord. Sorry this is happening, please take care.

[quote="Jay417, post:2, topic:249440"]
Do they know you are Catholic? I ask because I once had a run-in with similar folks, and according to them they target Catholics when possible. I say put some statues of St. Michael on your property, and pray to him for strength and protection. Maybe his intercession will help your land lord come to his senses.

[/quote]

Hi Jay,

I wouldn't be surprised if they target Catholics; apparently, their religion is in fact a mix of Catholic trappings with spirit-worship.

They might guess we're Christians, because our loudest response has been to play West Indian Gospel songs on Sundays, but I doubt they know we're Catholic, since we don't mix with them.

Thanks for your advice.

[quote="Monicad, post:3, topic:249440"]
Prayers for you and this most upsetting situation.

First and foremost my concern would be for the children living in the home. Are you able to call the authorities do you have a Child Protective Services in your area? Not sure if witchcraft would be grounds to investigate as they could argue it is their religion...however blasting music about rape, unclean conditions, used condoms all over the place and breaking into people's homes and would be clear cause for concern.

For yourself and your family all I can suggest is prayer, avoiding them and discussing concerns with the landlord. Sorry this is happening, please take care.

[/quote]

Thank you for your kind prayers.

The parents are no good. One day, the younger of their two adolescent sons accused the older boy a coward, because their mother tried to wake him up to fight a girl, and the boy wouldn't do it. We also suspect it was the father who damaged some of the landlord's property (not the screen door). One of the neighbours also saw the youngest child, a six-year-old boy, waving around a cutlass. But there is no evidence we've seen that the parents are physically abusive.

[quote="Bezant, post:1, topic:249440"]
On a good day, they're just a nuissance, blasting bashment music so loud that I can hear it clearly upstairs, on the side of the house farthest from them, with the door closed -- a wonder they don't go deaf in their own home. Sometimes the lyrics are about explicit sex and rape.

[/quote]

I don't know about the laws are in your area, but in my community this would be called creating a public disturbance and would be a matter for law enforcement. The police here usually will give one - at the outset two - verbal warnings before they issue fines. Once a fine is issued, the landlord is contacted. If there is the need for a second noise citation, the landlord gets a fine. The fines increase with each instance, and after the 5th citation it becomes a misdemeanor and a matter for the courts.

Check and see what the noise ordinances in your community are.

Worse, they're destructive, dropping rubbish -- chocolate / ice cream wrappers, popsicle sticks, soda bottles, used condoms (LOADS) -- on our side of the fence, and my family knows for a fact that their children jump over our property...

[/quote]

The rubbish is a complaint to the landlord. The kids coming on to your property is a police matter. That's trespassing.

Many of us in the neighbourhood also suspect that they broke into a house nearby, stealing children's toys, Playstations, etc. Since then we keep a close eye on each other's homes and take care to leave the house discreetly.

[/quote]

Unless you have some sort of evidence that these people are indeed house breakers, there is nothing you can do about this except keep your own doors and windows locked when you're out and use prudence when you're at home. Speculating with other neighbors about if these people are truly theives is only indulging in gossip and should be avoided.

What can we do? My family has for months ignored them in public, keeping our distance, seeing "past them" and not speaking to them. We've also trying to install CCTV, but it's expense.

[/quote]

Well avoiding them, ignoring them, seeing past them, and not speaking to them are all pretty passive-aggressive, non-productive, ways of handling this situation. And they seem to have not gotten you very far as well.

Were I you I would:

• disentangle their practice of witchcraft and their legally actionable behavior. You might not like it much, but they have a right to practice whatever religion, creed, or belief system they want in their home. They also have the right to display symbols of their religion/creed/belief system from their home that might be viewed from public areas like a street. From a legal standpoint there's not much you can do about it, and trying will only weaken your position when it comes to addressing what you have a legal right to make a complaint about.

If you suspect your neighbors are hexing your family or your property, consult with your priest or spiritual director. You need spiritual help, not legal help.

• start keeping a journal. Record each time you contact the police about their noise or their trespassing on to your property. Record each time you make a complaint to their landlord about them as well.

• put all of your complaints to their landlord in writing and either email them or mail them registered/certified/proof of receipt. Magistrates like paper trails.

• keep complaining. A couple of years ago we had a neighor who just wasn't a fit for our community. This neighborhood is majority working professionals and families, and he was an early 20s student who wanted to hardily party whenever he wasn't in class. There was nothing 'bad' about him; he should have been in student housing is all. Well, the parties and noise got to the point where we were contacting the police every Friday and Saturday nights and sometimes during the day. It took about six weeks, but he was evicted. But the point is we didn't complain once and then stew. We kept complaining even if it meant phoning the police twice in one night.

First and foremost. Pray. Pray for protection (deliver us from evil)...Pray to forgive them. Pray for their conversion.

If you do not pray the Rosary (or perhaps "The divine Mercy chaplet") regularly (Daily) as a family, I suggest you do so. It's an easy thing to do - as a Child we would pray the rosary before getting up from supper during lent.

You might consider asking your other neighbors if they are Christian of any stripe. Perhaps you can get a "prayer chain" looped around this family.

If there is any disturbance, don't be afraid to call the police to come investigate. This is just good citizenship. Likewise, you might consider talking to the police and/or the district attorney's office about some of your suspicions etc and see what the legalities might be. Your spelling indicates that perhaps you are in the UK? Don't know what the government attorney or prosecutor is called where you live, but there should be an office you can contact

Finally - you might want to talk to your pastor about some of this and get his input.

Peace
James

You should buy St. Benedict medals ,get them blessed, and put them around thier house if possible.

Honestly, I could deal with just about all of that. EXCEPT a LOAD of used condems. Surely dumping a bio hazard IN YOUR yard is not legal?

And well, if they're used, that means they sent DNA to your house.Which means it can be proven who used them. And since they gave them to you like a gift, I guess they are yours to do with as you like??? Perhaps decorate their front yard with them the next day? Don't forget gloves...

You could perhaps sue over the possible contact with your children... one does not KNOW if there are diseases in those condoms. That could be tested too...

You know, I'm reminded once of a story about a drug dealer that moved into a family neighborhood. And the police were not doing anything about it.

Finally, the guy next door made a HUGE sign... Drugs sold here, with an arrow pointing to the guys house. They actually moved.

If no one was dealing with that, I just might make my own sign. Get your used condoms here... Stand by, next rape exhaulting music coming in a few minutes.

I might also sue the landlord for allowing his property to bring the value of yours down...

In the end, if you're renting, I'd move...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.