Harry Potter anyone?

O.K…so what do you really think about these movies/books?

[quote=Lillith]O.K…so what do you really think about these movies/books?
[/quote]

Love them all. Great family entertainment, IMO!

[quote=thestickman]Love them all. Great family entertainment, IMO!
[/quote]

That’s kinda the way I feel…but my brother-in-law (protestant) says they are evil, whitch-craft movies and wouldn’t let my children watch them at his home

Fun stuff! Any intelligent person (including well educated /informed children) ~should~ be able to take them for what they are: fun fantasy entertainment. However, like any other topic/story, there will be those who do not like it no matter if they have a religious conviction about it or not.

Karen Anne

I love all of them and im just giddy with anticipation of the new book in July and the new movie in November. they are great literature and fantastic movies, i love them all!

[quote=Lillith]That’s kinda the way I feel…but my brother-in-law (protestant) says they are evil, whitch-craft movies and wouldn’t let my children watch them at his home
[/quote]

Give him a copy of “Finding God in Harry Potter” by John Granger (no joke… ironic though. :))

It is an examination on many of the “evils” of HP and how other symbolism of a Christian nature actually overshadow these so-called evils.

I really enjoy reading Harry Potter myself. My oldest child is only 4 so I don’t have to worry about her reading it for a few years at least. My only issue is some of the Harry Potter websites that have links or ads for occult websites. This is pretty dangerous especially for children without proper adult supervision. You can’t really blame the books themselves for that though.

PS. I’m re-reading book 5 for the third time in anticipation of book 6 in July…Yes I’m a freak. :slight_smile:

I love the Harry Potter books also. In some Protestants circles there is a knee jerk fear against any sort of imagination or fantasy. I don’t know why.

My neighbor is a very lovely Baptist woman. Her son has read the books and overheard some women in church discussing how evil that they were.It really upset him. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but I really am getting tired of the Harry Potter is evil line. It makes us Christians look nutty.

[/quote]

I love them all, and am impatiently waiting for the next book to come out in a little over a month.:bounce:

[quote=HpyCatholic]I really enjoy reading Harry Potter myself. My oldest child is only 4 so I don’t have to worry about her reading it for a few years at least. My only issue is some of the Harry Potter websites that have links or ads for occult websites. This is pretty dangerous especially for children without proper adult supervision. You can’t really blame the books themselves for that though.

PS. I’m re-reading book 5 for the third time in anticipation of book 6 in July…Yes I’m a freak. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Freak??? You are completely normal by my standards.:smiley: I have read them all a few times.

I understand that me just saying that the movies and books are bad isn’t going to change your mind about them any faster than telling an adult movie star what they are doing is bad.

They will come up with a whole list of other people they know that really enjoy it and how it hasn’t had any negative affect on their life.

So I am not going to tell you its bad, I am going to say read this book, Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick It is written by Richard Abanes, who is an occult expert. He goes chapter by chapter pointing out all the different references to real life occult practices and even real historical Wiccan people. He also points out the underlying Wiccan philosophy that the book is based on.

He isn’t just using his own opinion in this book, there are multiple sources he quotes on almost every page, from both real occult books and Christian writers.

And after all if you don’t know the facts and are unsure, be safe rather than sorry. After all Jesus did say that it would be better if a person was not even born than to lead a small one into sin.
Since the release of these books and movies occult numbers have been going up faster than ever before.

[quote=Michels]I understand that me just saying that the movies and books are bad isn’t going to change your mind about them any faster than telling an adult movie star what they are doing is bad.

They will come up with a whole list of other people they know that really enjoy it and how it hasn’t had any negative affect on their life.

So I am not going to tell you its bad, I am going to say read this book, Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick It is written by Richard Abanes, who is an occult expert. He goes chapter by chapter pointing out all the different references to real life occult practices and even real historical Wiccan people. He also points out the underlying Wiccan philosophy that the book is based on.

He isn’t just using his own opinion in this book, there are multiple sources he quotes on almost every page, from both real occult books and Christian writers.

And after all if you don’t know the facts and are unsure, be safe rather than sorry. After all Jesus did say that it would be better if a person was not even born than to lead a small one into sin.
Since the release of these books and movies occult numbers have been going up faster than ever before.
[/quote]

I’ll read your book if you read mine…

“Finding God in Harry Potter” by John Granger

[/quote]

The exorcist for Rome has siad the movie and books are from a witchcraft genre, and one ex-witch has said that some names used in the movie are the names of actual demons.

[quote=Karen Anne]Fun stuff! Any intelligent person (including well educated /informed children) ~should~ be able to take them for what they are: fun fantasy entertainment. However, like any other topic/story, there will be those who do not like it no matter if they have a religious conviction about it or not.

Karen Anne
[/quote]

What do you mean=after all the exorcist from Rome has much official education, and he has said it emphasizes the demonic and witchcraft. Is makes as fun that which is really demonic=magic, spells, sorcery.

[quote=Michels]I understand that me just saying that the movies and books are bad isn’t going to change your mind about them any faster than telling an adult movie star what they are doing is bad.

[/quote]

So, you are comparing readers of a children’s fantasy to a a person who engages in sex on film?:frowning: .

[quote=misericordie]The exorcist for Rome has siad the movie and books are from a witchcraft genre, and one ex-witch has said that some names used in the movie are the names of actual demons.
[/quote]

I practiced Wicca for a brief time in my early twenties. I am far from an expert, but I can assure you that what is practiced in Harry Potter is nothing like Wicca. Modern day witchcraft is a religion. The magic in Harry Potter has nothing to do with religion.

[/quote]

My son has outgrown Harry Potter. I haven’t.

Seriously, they aren’t exactly Chronicles of Narnia but I absolutely can not understand folk who think they promote devil worship or whatever.

I think they are a wonderful series of books. I only wish there wasn’t so much time between books!!

I do find that most of the people who say HP is evil, promoting the occult, etc, have never read the books. They go by heresay, by what they “think” they know about the books, etc.

The stories show a wonderful relationship of good conquering evil, of friends sticking by each other, of not going to “the dark side”.

No spells are “taught” in the books, no one can fly on brooms, no one can go the nearby wand store and purchase one. Rowling’s names are clever. Some terms are Latin in origin, some are plays on names of pubs and stores in London, etc. Last year when we took our boys to London, we had a great time finding places and connecting them to names in the HP books.

My favorite line from the series is when Harry is asking Dumbledore why Voldemort goes bad and Harry doesn’t, and yet they are both possessing similar qualities. Dumbledore replies with the statement that it’s not what we are given, it’s what we choose to do with what we are given.

I love them, my kids love them.

Harry Potter is probably harmless for children who are solidly grounded in their faith. The problem is that it can be an entry way into curiosity about the occult and witch craft. It’s no coincidence that whenever a new HP book comes out, all the witch craft books are checked out at the library (I investigated).

I read the first four books and, though they were fun, I was disappointed to see subtle Catholic “slams” in there.

None of my seven children have gotten on the HP bandwagon, and they don’t really care to.

Harry Potter is a gray area. Know your children; only the parent can make an informed decision as to whether HP is suitable.

[quote=Lora Lee]Harry Potter is probably harmless for children who are solidly grounded in their faith. The problem is that it can be an entry way into curiosity about the occult and witch craft. It’s no coincidence that whenever a new HP book comes out, all the witch craft books are checked out at the library (I investigated).

I read the first four books and, though they were fun, I was disappointed to see subtle Catholic “slams” in there.

None of my seven children have gotten on the HP bandwagon, and they don’t really care to.

Harry Potter is a gray area. Know your children; only the parent can make an informed decision as to whether HP is suitable.
[/quote]

I also agree with this…well said. My eleven yr. old told me about kids who are taking it seriously, and I believe they may be un-churched.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.