Harry Potter was just a bad movie save your money

I was very disappointed with this version. They let it drag quite a bit and left out a lot of good scenes they had plenty of time to include that were important to the story instead they spent a lot of time with brooding scenes in the tent. They also included a somewhat racey kissing scene which would keep me from taking a kid to see this movie if I knew about it. I'll just wait for the next one to come out on video. I can't wait for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Disney for all their faults has done a good job so far with the Narnia series. :cool:

Yeah, I saw the first movie, thought I’d hate it & actually really enjoyed it.But every sequel since has been dissapointing. The whole occult theme kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, too.I’ve seen some other posts on CAF about that today.There are worse things out there to worry about, I guess.
I’m just glad I have Netflix & can save $$.:thumbsup:

Ehh I'm still going to see it. Ive seen every HP movie in theaters and am still very excited for this new one.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:220447"]
I was very disappointed with this version. They let it drag quite a bit and left out a lot of good scenes they had plenty of time to include that were important to the story instead they spent a lot of time with brooding scenes in the tent. They also included a somewhat racey kissing scene which would keep me from taking a kid to see this movie if I knew about it. I'll just wait for the next one to come out on video. I can't wait for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Disney for all their faults has done a good job so far with the Narnia series. :cool:

[/quote]

Er...just what important scenes were left out? I've seen it twice now, and while there were a few minor exclusions ( a few more moments with the Dursleys would have been good), I thought they included just about everything that affects the plot, myself.

As for the 'racy kiss,' you do realise that that was a HUGELY important moment in the storyline (not to mention that it's right out of the book)? And that it wasn't meant to be 'racy' but evil? It was Ron's worst nightmare, straight out of his mind, made all the worse by having worn the Horcrux so much, which twisted his mind even further. I've read so many comments on different boards about how unnecessary that scene was, but if you've read the book, know the characters, and understand how the locket horcrux affected Ron, then you'll know how truly necessary that scene is in the film.

I didn't think it was a bad movie at all, but definitely meant for HP fans more than anyone else. My teen daughter, who is a huge HP fan, was impressed at how closely the movie followed the book. It was a tense dark movie, and a subtle one, that left you hanging and wanting to see how it all turns out.

I would not recommend it for kids under 12 though, because of the violence and a bit of sexual content (the content was fitting to the story and characters, however, and not gratuitous). You really got a sense of how evil can subdue and create fear in people, to the point where they become paralyzed and will not fight back. It was pretty realistic in that regard.

The bits of magic are just interesting details to the classic story of good and evil, and how people react to it in their lives.

I thought the movie was really good... not the best in the series by far but a decent film. The issue is that the first part of that book drags IMHO while it is setting up the back story (the stuff in the tent, 3 Brothers etc...). They did a decent job of making it interesting and worth a watch before the final for the back story (if you haven't read the books).

The kissing scene in regards to Ron's nightmare was "meh." It didn't happen that way in the book and they definitely didn't "need" it so I thought it was uncalled for but not too racy.

There is a lot of violence though, and implied torture... remember the final books are written for an older audience and we are dealing with some pretty evil people here. If you aren't old enough to read the books it's probably too much.

My 2nd grader went (as did a few of his friends because they have been reading the series for Accelerated Reader tests) and enjoyed it somewhat but agreed it was really good but not the best and more of just a setup for the final installment.

We've talked about the religious metaphors in the books and how it ties in with other stories of good and evil (Star Wars which is the same but in outer space, Narnia, LotR) and how that relates to our Faith.

We did not take any of our younger children and wouldn't have taken an 8 year old if he wasn't very mature for his age. For most kids I wouldn't suggest it if they are under 10, just wait for the DVD so you can skip the parts you don't want them to see.

Joe

Did any of you see it in the IMAX?

Deathly Hallows: not fun.
IMAX: not fun
moviegoing at 3 a.m. with teen daughters: fun.

my complaints, in no particular order:
*the good guys were as miserable as the bad guys. and everybody stood arou8nd and talked too much.

for so much talking, Harry has a little personality as he ever had except for one sweet joke about a ball of light.
*Hermione and Ron, though colored with a little extra angst to bolster the *
non-story**, still have very minor personalitites.

*very disappointing for a quest movie: they solve one quest (with very implausable details, like the hidden Horcrux, which was found via ransack is worn openly on the neck of a witch in the very next scene...? ) only to introduce a new quest 2/3 of the way into the movie!! which of course will remain unsolved until the finale.

• the Horcrux itself tempts Ron with a fairly pathetic "distrust your neighbor" plea.

• if the storyline of a movie relies on 'insider' book knowledge to succeed, then the movie didnt succeed as a movie. it may have succeeded as a cog in the franchise wheel, but not as a movie.

*and then some.....

but i liked the animation in the Deathly Hallows animation scene

I loved the new movie! Godric's Hollow was just as I had pictured it, as was the wedding. Loved Dobby (as I always do) and loved the escape from the Malfoy's. I can't wait to go see it again, and I really can't wait until July! Then again, I am such a huge Harry Potter fan that I would have gladly sat through a 5 hour movie of the entire last book :D

I'm a Harry Potter Fan Wannabe. .. but it just didn't catch.

I missed the last movie, since the others got progressively lousy.

The first book (and movie) really are the best. I agree entirely with Cracker Mom above: the whole ongoing more and more occult weirdness just gets in the way of interesting characters and settings.

Everyone has their opinion :shrug: My family really enjoyed this movie! We will see the next one in theaters also. Of course all my kids (11, 12 , 16, 17) also read the books, and were prepared.

I really liked this one, better than the last one I thought.

For my 13 year-old daughter and I, it was a wonderful movie. I used to work for Scholastic when the HP series was first coming out and enjoyed the books (I have most in 1st editions) and movies. As time wore on, I stopped reading the books but my daughter began to enjoy them. I do not think I saw the 6th movie and I know I did not read the 7th book but I definitely enjoyed the movie.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.