Harry Potter

Is it okay to go see Harry Potter even if the main actor does not belive in God?

:rolleyes:

Yes, it’s okay. After all, the lady who played Mary in The Passion of the Christ was Jewish and not a Christian. Her religious affiliation didn’t change the truths the film depicted any more than a Christian playing Judas or a good person playing an evil one or a bad person playing a saint. If the story is a good one, and seeing the film won’t harm your faith, there’s no reason you can’t go to see it. :slight_smile:

Thank you ! Sorry if the question looked dumb.

I’m not going to tell you that it’s wrong to go see it, or that it’s a sin, or that you shouldn’t go see it. That is between you and God. I believe you were asking my opinion, so that’s what I’m giving.

I have not read and will not see Harry Potter because of four reasons.

1. I would rather spend my time reading classics like Count of Monte Cristo, or Tale of Two Cities, then the newer stuff that’s out there today. That is just pure opinion.

2, I know that I personally struggle with keeping my focus on Jesus, and I don’t need another thing to pull my sights away from Him.

1. I’m very sensitive to things I see and read, and I know from past experiences that Satan uses things like that to drag me down.

2. I don’t want to conform to the world.

Having stated my reasons, if you decide to go see it, that’s between you and God. No one can tell you what to do because you have a free will. These four reason are entirely personal but I would encourage you to think and pray about the second and third reasons before you go see it.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria!

I don’t think anyone meant to be mean or dismissive. A lot of us have Harry Potter fatigue because of this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=355135

I don’t think it’s sinful to see the movie. And I am not surprised if Daniel Radcliffe has expressed that he does not believe in God. England is extremely secular anymore. Being a devotee of Tudor history, I sometimes wonder how Henry VIII, Mary I, and Elizabeth I would feel knowing that in a mere 500 years, most of England has thrown out everything they fought so hard and lived such tortured lives for. :shrug:

If we were to limit ourselves only to movies staffed by actors who believe in God, we might never see any. And anyway, how would we find out? It’s none of our business to grill anyone about their religious beliefs.

You’re entirely welcome. :slight_smile: And there are no dumb questions. It’s always a good thing to ask others in the faith about things that bother you or you’d like to know more about. After all, it’s why we’re here. :wink:

The potter series is strictly new age paganism…thats why it is given such million dollar free publicity…why else would the ruling class endorse it so much…also same sex marriage is coming up as is a suicide. You will then see some outrageous acting as paid performers,as in the MJackson case,will tear and weep and just sob…

What the freak are you talking about?

There is no professed religion in Harry Potter at all. Not Christianity, not paganism. The books are written by a Presbyterian and full of Christian values and themes!

No one gets married in any Harry Potter book except Bill and Fleur in the 7th. A girl and a guy by the way. Dumbledore, the character whom JK Rowling has said was gay, has no relationships at all in the books outside of headmaster/student, friendships, professional association with other teachers and headmasters, and some fairly fraught political relations with the Ministry of Magic.

If you haven’t read all the books yet, stop reading here! Spoilers below!

Seriously, you have been warned!

Dumbledore’s death is not a suicide. He is condemned to die by a slow acting curse in any case. He will die, it’s just a question of when. Snape agrees to kill him once Draco, who has been commissioned by Voldemort to kill Dumbledore, fails. This is an act of mercy on Snape’s part, because Dumbledore is afraid of being tortured by Voldemort or his followers. I suppose you might call this an assisted suicide.

So anyway, my point with this is, if you’re going to criticize, at least do so credibly.

This isn’t about the Harry Potter books/films themselves, but about those who act in (and I presume) produce, direct, write, etc. the books we read and the films we see. The question being–do such persons have to be Christians for us to enjoy/get something out of their efforts? The answer is absolutely not. There is a lot of good material out there written, produced, performed by people who know little or nothing about our faith, but they still have much to contribute because, like us, they are made in the image of God. So, as long as such things do not harm our faith, there is nothing wrong with enjoying them.

:confused: Uhm… don’t make any big deals here, universally, there is overall good magic, and overall bad magic, it’s called “polarity”. The Harry Potter series are some of the best stories I’ve ever known, it opened up my world, it is just so… magical and inspiring!!! :). Also note it’s parable teachings, and how allegorical it is to conspiracy theories/secret societies, (muggles = non-magic folk, people outside a secret society(s)), wizards and initiates are taught not to use magic outside of Hogwarts, i can assume secret society’s teach something along the same line (secret societies in this case, being allegoric to Hogwart’s) in order to keep their magic spell teachings secret, from being disclosed to the general public ;). OK ON topic. My suggestion to you, if you want to see it, see it, nothing un-Christian/Catholic about it, the devil isn’t involved with this at all. I would start with the first movie/book, and work your way up if you haven’t already;)

Is it okay to go see Harry Potter even if the main actor does not belive in God?

The main actor’s not believing in God does not make it immoral to see a movie.

As to discussing Harry Potter on this forum, I can only /facepalm.

I think I shall see the movie…probably more than once…and pray for the conversion of Mr. Radcliff (assuming that is the main character whose belief in God is in question). :smiley:

There you go that’s the spirit! :smiley: Enjoy and hope you have a blessed day! I can’t wait to see it either! Looking forward to it!!! :slight_smile:

I LOVE Harry Potter!

And, I’ve been Catholic my whole life and never once has Harry Potter caused problems with my beliefs or life…it has not caused me to doubt Catholicism. It’s FICTION. But, it’s wonderful, enthralling writting; and I can’t wait until I have time to reread them all.

Thanks for all the answers. I saw the movie and it wasn’t that bad.

Good Grief, half of Hollywood doesn’t believe in God! I enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books and movies and haven’t left Catholicism to join the Minestry of Magic. I guess I know the difference between real life and A FICTIONAL BOOK! :slight_smile:

People, the danger is for the children. By watching it, you have supported something that has a potential threat. Now I would not claim that to do so is a sin, but imprudent at the least. Pope Bendict XVI before he became Pope, the chief excorsist of Rome, and many others have spoken out and stated how the book may contain dangers for children.
To ignore the opinions of these holy people is rather imprudent, considering they are educated on such matters. Oh, and I think that looking for Christian imagery in the book is pointless. It was not written with such an intent like the Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.

WRONG. Rowling herself has said that the Bible quotes in the seventh book epitomize the whole series, and that it has always been obvious to her that the religious parallels in her book are obvious.

christianpost.com/article/20071018/harry-potter-author-reveals-books-christian-allegory-her-struggling-faith/index.html

Yet another Harry Potter condemner who knows nothing about the series. :rolleyes:

IME, not one of the holy people who has condemned Harry Potter has ever read one book. And Pope Benedict may not really have come out against them: jimmyakin.org/2005/07/pre16_on_harry_.html But in any case, if you haven’t even read the book you’re saying is evil, you’re hardly an expert on it!

I have read the first book, so I know a bit about the series. Besides, need a priest be married to know how to give marriage advice? One does not need to read all the books to form an opinion about them.

“Also in 2003, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger — who later became Pope Benedict XVI — received a manuscript of a book critical of the novels from a German author. He stated in a private letter expressing gratitude for the receipt of the book, “It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly”. He also recommended she send a copy of her book to Fleetwood at the Council for Culture. In a second letter, the cardinal gave the author permission to make his first letter public. These letters from Ratzinger prior to his elevation to the papacy have been used to suggest that the new pontiff is officially opposed to the novels.[10]”

Many holy people have made statements like this, and that is why I said it is imprudent not to listen to them. Finally, her books were not formed on the basis Christian imagery. Perhaps by the seventh one she decided to add something, but not in the same way as Tolkien’s and Lewis’s. They built their worlds on the foundation of Christian morals. She did not. Whatever parallels may exist may be intentional, but likely one is trying to hard to justify the book. I do not see this as a good argument, since the worry is over the witchcraft, and not whether they have Christian imagery.

In fact, now that you mention it, it is rather worrysome as if there indeed is some Christian parallels that people are finding, and many people have spoken about the dangers of the book, then the chances of people mixing up the two are greater. It is more likely that a child who has not developed their beliefs completely might read this and relate witchcraft, magic and the alike with good. This is where the danger is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.