Harvard AIDS Expert Says Pope is Correct on Condom Distribution Making AIDS Worse

By John-Henry Westen March 19, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Edward C. Green, director of the AIDS Prevention Research Project at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, has said that the evidence confirms that the Pope is correct in his assessment that condom distribution…

Full article…

Thank you GOD! :slight_smile:

I post this on the other thread, but I’ll post it here again;

The Church is right and unassailable facts are there prove it, no matter what lies her enemies repeat: where abstinence and fidelity are the norm, HIV-AIDS declines, where Catholics are the majority and the Church has earned respect of people, even in the worst social and economic situations, HIV-AIDS declines. Look at the statistics.

If the hypothesis that Catholic doctrine spreads HIV and AIDS, we would expect to see increased infection rates in countries that contain more Catholics. Instead, we find decreased HIV rates in Catholic-dominated countries (although the trend is not statistically significant). The idea that Catholic teaching encourages the spread of HIV is not confirmed by the demographics.

The ten countries in continental Africa with the highest percentage of Catholics are:

1. Equitorial Guinea (93.52% Catholic / HIV rate 3.4%)
  2. Burundi (65.25% Catholic / HIV rate 2.0%)
  3. Lesotho (53.62% RC/ 23.2% HIV)
  4. Congo (50.49% RC / 3.5% HIV)
  5. Angola (50.04% RC / 2.1% HIV)
  6. Democratic Rep. of Congo (49.45% RC / 1.2-1.5% HIV)
  7. Rwanda (47.92% RC / 2.8% HIV)
  8. Gabon (46.42% RC / 5.9% HIV)
  9. Uganda (42.28% RC / 6.7% HIV)
  10. Zambia (28.22 RC / 15.2% HIV)

This isn’t a true “African top ten” though. Some small island countries such as Cape Verde, Reunion and the Seychelles are over 90% Catholic and all have very low AIDS rates.

The ten African countries with the highest rates of AIDS are:

1. Swaziland (26.1% HIV rate / 5.56% Catholic)
  2. Botswana (23.9% HIV rate / 4.78% Catholic)
  3. Lesotho (23.2% HIV / 53.62% RC)
  4. South Africa (18.1% HIV / 6.36% RC)
  5. Namibia (15.3% HIV / 16.78% RC)6) Zimbabwe (15.3% HIV / 8.79% RC)
  6. Zambia (15.2% HIV / 28.22% RC)
  7. Mozambique (12.5% HIV / 22.33% RC)
  8. Malawi (11.9% HIV / 21.76% RC)
  9. Uganda (6.7 % HIV / 42.28%)

Notice how no country which is over 40% Catholic has a high HIV rate with the exception of Lesotho, a tiny country which is completely land-locked by Protestant/pagan South Africa. The prevalance of HIV in a nation is determined more by geography than religious demographics. Southern and south-east Africa has far higher infection rates than the rest of the continent, including numerous highly Catholic countries in central Africa.

Of countries with high HIV rates, those with relatively high numbers of Catholics (e.g. Mozambique) are all located in the south/south-east.

Sources for statistics:

catholic-hierarchy.org/country/sc3.html

avert.org/subaadults.htm

1 Like

The pope is responsible for teaching Catholics and all who heed the shepherd’s voice that condoms are not the Catholic way to curtail this dreadful disease.

I doubt that anyone not using a condom after have sex with anyone and everyone will be able to list listening to the pope as the reason that he never wore a condom. Who would even believe such a claim?

It is my belief that the most effective presence on the front in the battle against HIV/AIDS is precisely the Catholic Church and her institutions. I think of the Community of Sant’ Egidio, which does so much, visibly and invisibly to fight AIDS, of the Camillians, of all the nuns that are at the service of the sick.

"I would say that this problem of AIDS cannot be overcome with advertising slogans. If the soul is lacking, if Africans do not help one another, the scourge cannot be resolved by distributing condoms; quite the contrary, we risk worsening the problem. The solution can only come through a twofold commitment: firstly, the humanization of sexuality, in other words a spiritual and human renewal bringing a new way of behaving towards one another; and secondly, true friendship, above all with those who are suffering, a readiness - even through personal sacrifice - to be present with those who suffer. And these are the factors that help and bring visible progress.

Very few stories in the media will put the context of the popes words in their full context. If the objective was saving as many people as possible from AIDS, the people writing this stories really would put more effort in getting the poples message out there too.

Very good.:thumbsup:
This means that unless someone with equal credentials as Green presents counter-findings, the Pope’s statements are backed up by the data.

Too bad this finding won’t be plastered all over the news like the original story.

You’d think Fox News would atleast report on it.

Nevertheless, it’s great to see a scientist speaking out about this, rather than the typical anti-Catholic bigotry.

That’s wonderful! Sometimes it feels like the whole world doesn’t understand what the pope is trying to say, but this goes a long way towards showing that it really does make sense, even without a religious perspective.

Dr. Green’s assessment (which I believe) are well known. As to why Fox News or any of the other news organizations didn’t report them as commentary on the Pope’s statements, I am not sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.