Harvard professor: Start treating Christian conservatives like Nazis

washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/10/harvard-professor-start-treating-christians-nazis/

**A Harvard law professor has called for liberals to begin treating like Nazis those who subscribe to Christian or conservative beliefs.

In a Friday blog post at Balkinization, Mark Tushnet said conservatives and Christians have lost the culture wars, and now the question is “how to deal with the losers.”**

This brief article continues at the link.

Narrow-minded nonsense.

Journalists have labelled some of Mr. Trump’s ideas as fascist. Of course, Mr. Trump says that reporters are horrible, disgusting people.

Parents
Send your children to a Catholic college or you may lose them forever. :frowning:

The news media play a role in the culture wars, and the media organizations that participate in the culture wars against inconvenient truths and in support of some particular agenda aren’t always transparent in their strategies and tactics.

For example …

Founded in 1982 by Unification Church leader Sun Myung Moon, the Times was owned by News World Communications, an international media conglomerate associated with the church until 2010, in which Moon and a group of former executives purchased the paper. It is currently owned by diversified conglomerate Operations Holdings

Link:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Times

Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5: 11-12

And make sure it’s on the good colleges list of cardinal Newman society.

What passes for intellect is astonishing and sad. Basically its the usual rant, its the “white-racist christians” better known as “republicans”. They are the problem so the story goes.

Fact is the very large area of ALL Christians and republicans and men and women are pushing back and speaking out today. And the attempt to marginalize, label and dismiss them is quite clear as a tactic.

There’s not a preponderance of racists in the rep party. Its a constituent which Hillary can’t appeal to so she is content with the above tactics. Obviously Hillary isn’t a white racist christian because SHE is a Democrat? :eek:

OK, and in what intellectual debate does any of this hold water? In the land of the ignorant? :thumbsup:

And this is what passes as elite education ??!!!

What a complete waste of money to be educated by someone like that professor.

Haha, good catch. I always forget which is the fake Washington paper.

He doesn’t say that Conservatives and Christians should be treated like Nazis. He is saying that we shouldn’t try to accommodate the losers in the culture wars just like they didn’t accommodate the losers of World War II. In that section he seems to be referring specifically to gay rights issues. I agree with him on this point. Regardless of your opinion, you can’t discriminate against gay people. To accommodate the losers on this point is to allow them to discriminate.

balkin.blogspot.com/2016/05/abandoning-defensive-crouch-liberal.html

Note: I’m using “loser” here because it was the author’s terminology. Not to keen on using it though because it reminds me of Trump.

This guy is at least honest about his ideology. He says what he thinks and what the left as a whole thinks. Most just won’t say it.

Ironic, since silence is what they wish to impose on the right. We could probably get somewhere if they talked openly about these things, instead of sweeping it under the rug. A lot of people are unaware of the left’s guiding principles and think it really is all about love. I’m not saying they’re stupid, I’m saying that people don’t always take time to examine. They’re busy paying bills.

Unfortunately, views like this will be expressed more frequently as the progressives grow bolder. :frowning:

It is just the beginning–by the time people decide to push back, it will be way too late.

The title for this string is ridiculous. Prof. Mark Tushnet’s comments at his blog say nothing about treating Christian conservatives like Nazis, but simply says that liberals should not be afraid to challenge conservatives on the social issues that matter to them, particularly with regard to the legal challenges to gay marriage, public accommodation of transgender individuals, etc. The excerpt from those comments that refers to the Nazi era:

“The culture wars are over; they lost, we won. Remember, they were the ones who characterized constitutional disputes as culture wars (see Justice Scalia in Romer v. Evans, and the Wikipedia entry for culture wars, which describes conservative activists, not liberals, using the term.) And they had opportunities to reach a cease fire, but rejected them in favor of a scorched earth policy. The earth that was scorched, though, was their own. (No conservatives demonstrated any interest in trading off recognition of LGBT rights for “religious liberty” protections. Only now that they’ve lost the battle over LGBT rights, have they made those protections central – seeing them, I suppose, as a new front in the culture wars. But, again, they’ve already lost the war.). For liberals, the question now is how to deal with the losers in the culture wars. That’s mostly a question of tactics. My own judgment is that taking a hard line (“You lost, live with it”) is better than trying to accommodate the losers, who – remember – defended, and are defending, positions that liberals regard as having no normative pull at all. Trying to be nice to the losers didn’t work well after the Civil War, nor after Brown. (And taking a hard line seemed to work reasonably well in Germany and Japan after 1945.) I should note that LGBT activists in particular seem to have settled on the hard-line approach, while some liberal academics defend more accommodating approaches. When specific battles in the culture wars were being fought, it might have made sense to try to be accommodating after a local victory, because other related fights were going on, and a hard line might have stiffened the opposition in those fights. But the war’s over, and we won.”

This is push back against years of oppression. There was no attempt to accommodate gay or transgendered people in the past. They were imprisoned, castrated, and pushed to margins of society. Where was the accommodation for them back then? There’s no going back to those days and that is exactly what an accommodation would be or attempt to do.

Winning the culture wars against conservatives means losing the culture, the society even.
Family values and the things that conservatives have fought for, that Catholic dogma teaches even, are not frivolous, but are indispensable to the health of a culture.

The pursuit of happyness can never be limited to personal fulfillment. To the extent that broad swaths of the population are exerting their energies to their own feelings rather than to procreating family, the bottom falls out.

Importing people to fill the void left behind either changes the culture, to the extent that outsiders do not become a part of the culture that they are immigrating into, or defers the problem to the next generation, to the extant that they do become part of that culture.
The culture of death gives rise to the Last Man.

If this man has his way, it’s time to get out of Dodge.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.