Has any Catholic priest told Catholics what to do---

if we owned a bakery and a gay couple wanted a wedding cake or a wedding service or bed and breakfast and a gay couple wanted to use them. Or what to do if we have to sign marriage certificates for them? I don’t think I ever read what the Church’s position is on this.

Sue Mr. Obama for not enforcing immigration laws. Find a good lawyer.

:D:clapping:

CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

CONSIDERATIONS REGARDING PROPOSALS
TO GIVE LEGAL RECOGNITION
TO UNIONS
BETWEEN HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS
“In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.”

So bakers and wedding coordinators are right to refuse service and marriage license signers are right to refuse to sign?

The Church doesn’t have a position on any of what you have asked. You would do well to employ informed common sense than to seek advice from an anonymous internet forum.

People really should stop trying to be a victim of provoked martyrdom.

What do you think Jesus and the Apostles would have done if that were to happen back then? I don’t think they would tolerate it. I bet they would give them a nice preach and the fornicators would have converted. But today, we Catholics aren’t hot enough for God to successfully do that, right? Or we can opt for not preaching them and just say no and maybe suffer martyrdom, a very quick way to enter Heaven.

What if that cake bakery is all you have to earn some money and maintain a family? Is that trying to be a victim of provoked martyrdom? I don’t think so. It is trying to maintain a family. And what if you say no to build a same-sex wedding cake? Why stop on trying to not be part of that people’s sin? The bakers aren’t purposely provoking martyrdom.

Matthew 10:32-34

32 “Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my Father in heaven; but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven.

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

You can’t serve God and the devil at the same time. People should stop waiting to see what does the Church has to say for every single wrong in this world, aren’t we the Church as well? We have the Word of God, the CCC and Canon Law, plus the Natural Law to get some direction.

Then bake the cake; it isn’t like you are being asked to smuggle cocaine. Baking a cake is a morally neutral act. It isn’t on you what a customer does with it anymore than a person who buys a dozen donuts from you and brings it to a strip club.

Is a cashier at Wal Mart complicit in evil because the store sells condoms?

Your reasoning is the same as saying that it isn’t on you what a woman does with an immodest clothing you specifically designed for her exclusively to wear. You take part in it, and wash your hands now? And it is the same reasoning as it isn’t on you to murder a baby if it was the pregnant mother who asked you to do it.

It is morally wrong to bake a wedding cake knowing it was for a same-sex couple’s wedding which is obviously intrinsically evil, disordered and condemned. A person should avoid participating or contributing to evil.

No, it isn’t the same at all. If you design a completely traditional style wedding dress and someone uses it in their act as a stripper, does that make you an accessory? How does one distinguish between a standard wedding cake and a same sex cake? Do you think Jesus would rather see your business fail, your financial situation collapse and your family become destitute all for baking a cake?

The is simply ridiculous. Baking a cake is a morally neutral act. Abortion is intrinsically evil. It takes a total suspension of logic and reason to try and link the two.

I take it, then, that all people in every form of work or business must now discern as to whether the goods, supplies or services that they render goes to the services of a same-sex couple. The bank teller must not deposit money into a same-sex joint account, a mechanic must not replace the tire on a vehicle used by a same-sex couple, the clerk at a grocery store must not supply bananas to someone who may be in a same-sex relationship because "a person should avoid participating or contributing to evil."

Is there any place where you draw a line?

Tim, it is different when you know it is for an evil or disordered thing. Your examples now show that the maker did not know or doesn’t know about the purpose of the client. But in case of the OP’s original post, it is different because the baker**knows **for what it is going to be used. If you know it will be used for evil, then it is morally wrong to cooperate with it. Putting a superior good (all spiritual good is superior than the material goods) below a material good that you know will be used for evil, is morally wrong.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.