Has anybody here ever thought of making a Chick Tract Parody?

Anybody who’s familiar with Chick tracts should also know that there’s a small trend of making parodies out of Chick Tracts. But the thing is, a lot of these Chick Tract Parodies were made to poke fun at Jack Chick’s views on homosexuality, evolution, Wicca, and Islam. I’ve never really seen one that debunks and humiliates his views on Roman Catholicism. Has anybody here ever thought of doing so?

Just curious…

P.S.

If you wanna see a sample of some these parodies, just say so here and I’ll put up the links. :wink:

Yes Please! The stuff Chick says is so out there it deserves to be parodied!

Edit: I just did a search on Jack Chick parodie tracts, and some of them are quite crude…maybe better not link to them from here!

Better to not stoop to his level.

I don’t think a parody is necessary, anyway. Just print the original.

Here’s a you tube video addressing at least one of the tracts:

youtube.com/watch?v=awkvVdPfAGg

Better than parody:

stjohn17v20-21.com/jtchick/

I think we have to be careful not to return evil for evil. Jesus said to turn the other cheek, not slap the person back who slapped you.

I have seen one, but it has been a few years.

You can always visit Landover Baptist while you think about it or even get help from Betty Bowers.

There is the famous Cuthulu Chick Track. I think that his views on Catholicism should be parodied.
Educated adult might find CT funny and crude but they are aimed to children and the uneducated were they spread bigotry and hate.
They need to be oposed.
Is a moral duty.
A track that debunks it in a elegant and charitable way is needed.

Chick has been parodied, but I’m not positive if the ones who did the satire back at him were Catholics; not to be uncharitable, it seems he has had qualms with quite a few different types though the worst do seem to be those aimed at Catholicism. Maybe we should pray for his conversion. Those have been around a long time. I once found one left on a gas pump at a filling station.

Satirizing comics is the easiest thing in the world: White out the words and write in the balloons. You can do it by hand. Then leave the tract where you found it. It could be an online game, too: Post the tract with the speech and caption spaces blank and numbered on a blog. Players post suggested word for each spot.
Why not?

It is too bad, he doesn’t omit the vitriolic material and just keep the Born again type stories.

These have been around since the '70s and maybe before. Like all artists, I think his skills improved but the anti-Catholic material has long been there.

The anti-Catholic stuff started early in the 70’s when Alberto Rivera got into his life, and the art improved in about 1972-73 when he hired an artist named Fred Carter, a slight cult hero among comic collectors for his elusiveness. There’s a live thread about it.

Yeah that’s one way some of them do it. XD

However, I also read one very interesting Chick Tract parody on an art website that I frequently visit. The girl who made it didn’t remove the balloons but instead inserted a cute version of herself and made funny commentaries in various panels.

I was thinking of making something along those lines and was wondering if anybody could suggest a good way to do it. :o

Beware of copyright infringements when parodizing or satirizing – and beware of libel. It would be fun to do the best possible parody but not worth a lawsuit.

I thought about doing an answer to The Death Cookie in the same format of a “Chicklette”–abeit with explicit disclaimers that it was NOT anyway associated with Jack Chick publications–life issues interfered.

Sigh :blush:

Well I heard that parodies can go under the Fair Use policy thing so I think I’m safe as long as I credit the guy (despite how much of an idiot he really is XD)

How about “Catechism Comics” in the same format? Or something apologetic like Larry Gonick would do - “The Cartoon Guide to the Catholic Church”?

Well I heard that parodies can go under the Fair Use policy thing so I think I’m safe as long as I credit the guy (despite how much of an idiot he really is XD)

I hear JCP has treatened to sue the Cuthulu parody track but nothing ever came out. A legitimate parody would be protected under freedom of speech. Just ask Larry Flint.

How about “Catechism Comics” in the same format? Or something apologetic like Larry Gonick would do - “The Cartoon Guide to the Catholic Church”?

That would be a good idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.