has anyone attended an anglican use mass?

i would like to hear from anyone who attends a parish where the anglican use mass is used or from anyone who has ever attended an anglican use mass? what is your opinion of the mass? do they use anglican chants in this mass?

On the Anglican Use Society webpage there are only 6 parishes listed with two trying to form in Kansas and New Orleans.

Under the links they have a copy of the Rite I Mass.

Singing of the Kyrie, Gloria, Great Thanksgiving, Propers, Sanctus and Benedictus and Agnus Dei is optional. Did not see Morning or Evening Song, pity they are beautiful to sing. Did not see if they kept the other services and prayers.

At least Communion is recieved on your knees in both kinds. Though the Blood is only allowed by intinction. Have to get use to that.

Going to the parish websites linked, the Masses appear to be well attended and not by former Anglicans.

An Anglican Priest who is a friend attended last years conference on Anglican Use and was pleased with the Mass and what he observed.

Dcn Mark

Dear 7 Sorrows

Although I haven’t been lucky enough to attend the Anglican Use mass. If you go to You Tube and look up Our Lady of Atonement Catholic Church, Texas they have several snippets of different masses. Two are the Latin Novus Ordo and the others are the Rite I of the Anglican Use. They don’t show much besides the beginning of the mass, so you can’t hear the lovely old English language used.

Their bookstore sells a dvd of their mass. I have only heard wonderful things about the parish. Be sure and click on all the different videos. One or two are for the Academy students. You will notice they all genuflect when the crucifix goes by. Also the priests bow at the name of Jesus and others too. This is the way I was raised and I really miss the beauty and reverence.

I live in California and doubt that we will ever be allowed an Anglican Use parish. There are I believe at least 7 parishes or soon to be in other states than Texas. All things take time.

I was received Anglican Use and so were my children. It is difficult to explain how close I feel to our Lord during these masses. There are many hymns sung and they sing almost every verse. No one leaves the church until the recession and recessional hymn is finished. I do intend to attend OLA someday. It started very small but our Lord has really blessed it.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

thanks bernadette for taking the time to reply. i was raised in the episcopal church and briefly attended an anglican church before converting to catholicism. i loved the Book of Common Prayer and i have seen the Book of Divine Worship used in the anglican use mass. i recently attended a class on gregorian chants and the teacher said he is looking forward to the day that he can attend an anglican use mass because he said the anglican chants are beautiful. i know one of the chants that he played in class was sang in the same melody we would chant the psalms in when i attended the anglican and episcopal church.
a regular anglican mass can be beautiful and i am sure that the anglican use mass is also. i have heard a lot about our lady of atonement and have visited their website.

i just wish the Book of Divine Worship had been based on the 1928 prayerbook instead of the 1979 prayerbook. of course, rome also helped to design the liturgy used in the anglican use in order that it be acceptable to be a part of the roman catholic church.

i don’t know how popular the anglican use mass will become. i would think in the larger cities you could find at least one church that offers it. an ex priest from my episcopal church was in the process of becoming catholic and he wanted to be able to preside over the anglican use mass as well as the regular masses.

Well i am a member in Our lady of Walsingham here in Houston, TX. We just celebrated our 25th anniversary of the founding of the church.

I have to say to i use to go to the NO mass and then started to feel the call to something different. I got sick of people leaving before mass was done or since i go to mass by myself i always felt like an outsider even though i was active in the church. Easy to get lost in a church with 5,000 familes. I started looking around and went to latin mass and started trying out the Anglican Use mass since i had a friend who went there. I feel in love with the mass and the people. The litgury is beautiful. I love the respect and reverance the people have for God and the feel of the mass. I love the inscences, the chants, the communion rail, confession before mass on sundays, the fact that we do all verse when we sing. i also love the people because they are so open and except you as a memeber to give to the church in some way through time and talentetc.Its just beautiful. It feels like my soul just gets lost in the mass. It just feels like home. I don’t even relaize that mass is always 1.5 hours. :smiley:

I would recommend that if you get a chance to go to one. You will love it and see the beatuy of what is considered the old high masses of pre-vatican II. If you have a chance come to the conference in June.

thanks for the input beckers. i wish i could attend the conference in june. i am sure i could learn a lot. some other people i know really enjoyed the last conference they attended which i think was in san antonio. they loved the mass. i really wish there was a way to introduce the mass to more catholics.

i hear there are only about 6 parishes around our country that are anglican use. so you are very fortunate to have one in your community. glad you decided to go with your friend
and you are spritually fulfilled in this new church.

From my experience as an Anglo-Catholic, I should think they would be more likely to use adaptations of plainsong than Anglican chant (which was considered Low Church).

Unless there is a change in policy (i.e., unless there Anglican Use becomes a Rite, perhaps if the TAC were to be accepted as a sui juris Church, which I don’t expect to happen), there will not be a large number of AU parishes. The AU (except in the trophy parishes in Texas) is intended primarily as a transitional period for Anglicans coming to Rome en masse . At some point, usually at the death of the original former Anglican priest, such a parish will shift to something else, NO, or perhaps TLM. That’s what happened to Good Shepherd, in my town.

GKC

I have spoken to priests that have AU parishes and it is not true that they are transition parishes. I don;t know what happened at Good Shepard but I believe that there were too few people and it had to close when the pastor retired.

The priests that I have spoken told me that they were promised that the Anglican Use will continue. Of course there are Bishops who are very liberal and don’t want one in their dioceses. But I believe that the Pastoral Provision is growing. All good things take time.

If you really want to know what is happening within the Pastoral Provision please go to the source and not listen to people who have no idea and I have a hunch there are some who want their own rite and so far haven’t been successful for good reason. If some congregations want an Anglican Liturgy and be received into the Church they will have to submit to Rome with no demands. I think this is part of the problem. As a former Episcopalian I know that many in our parish wanted to be considered Catholic, but did not want anyone telling them what was acceptable to truely be united with the Holy See.

They belong to some break away Anglican parish. This is fine as they are happy, but I wanted to be united with the Holy Father and have never been happier, even in a traditional NO parish.

Bernadette

i know an ex-episcopal priest who has converted to catholicism and is in the process of being ordained. he wants to be able to preside over the anglican use mass as well as the regular mass. and he did not convert with a large group of people either. a man the other evening who expressed a desire to attend his first anglican use mass had been catholic for many years and it was like he is really excited for the moment.

I don’t mean that the AU won’t continue, under the Pastoral provision. It probably will. But the individual parishes don’t last long, outside the ones in Texas. If it is possible to determine (and I don’t know that it is) the average age for the Texas AU parishes, and compare it to the average age of all such AU parishes outside Texas, I think the point would support my contention. The Pastoral Provision dates to 1980, IIRC. What is the age of the parishes outside Texas? Part of the difference between a Use and a Rite lies in a systematic method to provide for a succession of priests, and there is no such provision for the AU.

But certainly I don’t have the figures myself. OTOH, I’m not being interested in joining an AU parish, or particularly concerned about whether an Anglican Rite is established. Just curious, and, IMO, reasonably well informed on the AU. Good Shepherd was a sort of sister parish to my own Continuing Anglican parish (we came from the same Episcopal parishes), for a few years it was AU, until the death of the original priest (and even a while longer), then it was converted to NO, then it hosted the local indult TLM, and now it is primarily TLM. While it was hosting the indult TLM, it was routinely packed. I went to the first such Mass, and didn’t go back. I was ashamed to be taking a seat from a RC who could receive.

Whatever the case, I wish all the AU well.

GKC

Dear GKC

The parishes that have closed were because of losing a priest and very small congregations.

At this time there are more and more former Episcopal priests who are becoming Catholic priests under the Pastoral Provison. Some of them and the congreations are pretty new and some are just starting. The process takes time, but I believe that it is growing.

Even if TAC is not accepted into the Church as a whole, there will be communities and priests that will be accepted into the Pastoral Provsion. You must remember that Rome moves slowly. They want to be sure that these priests and congregations understand exactly what becoming Catholic means. Rome has been very accommodating to the AC parishes. Some of the problems lie with the Bishops. Although some Bishops don’t want an AU parish and don’t like them, there are also Bishops that don’t like the Pope. I believe that the Provision is the Lord’s will and it will grow as time goes by.

Maybe it won’t be hugh, but the Eastern rites have also had a rough time and they continue.

Please don’t refer to the parishes in Texas as trophy parishes. They aren’t. The ones that have done well is because there are more people in those areas that love the liturgy and warmth they receive. The reason OLA has done so well in my humble opinion is because God has blessed it. Who knows how many more will grow as large. Numbers really don’t matter, it is the FAITH that these parishes have that is important. The people are being fed.

I belong to a small (compared to some Catholic churches) parish. Maybe 1000 families and it is very traditional. The priests are very faithful and so are the members. We must wait and see what God has in store for the Anglican Use.

I belonged to several Episcopal churches over the years and found them unfriendly. I know that there are many that are not like that, but that was my experience. In one the priest helped to destroy the chance for us to have an Anglican Use parish. He did have influence but I can’t go into it. He also acted like he was the Pope when I belonged there. Thank God I found a good Anglo Catholic parish to attend. I know that no matter which church, Baptist, Episcopal, Catholic, Pentecostal etc. there are great pastors and people in them. I hold no hard feelings towards the Episcopal church, just sadness for what has become of it. I feel for the people who feel lost and are trying to find a home. For me everyone must find where they grow spiritually. Even though I feel that the Catholic Church (and have since I was a child) is the Church Christ started not everyone can accept this teaching. We all must search our hearts and pray for the Holy Spirit to lead us where He wants us to be.

For some reason your past posts sometimes seem to show bitterness towards the Pastoral Provision. I apologize if I am reading something into them that is not there. As a Christian we are to love our brothers and sisters and pray for them and be happy that they have found where God wants them.

There is nothing anyone can do to bring back the Episcopal church to what it was and I am sure that grieves many. I will pray for them to find peace wherever they are led.

Again I apologize if I misunderstood any of your posts.

Bernadette

No intention of offending here, either. Trophy parish is a term of admiration. If mine were so successful, I’d rejoice. And I have no bitterness whatsoever toward the Pastoral Provision, or the AU (I have mentioned that the AU parish in my town was a sort of sister parish to my own Continuing Anglican one. And that an artist friend of mine did the frontispiece for the AU Book of Divine Worship) I like the AU. I just don’t think it has a chance of being a viable part of the RCC, in any serious sense, as it is currently structured.

The problem of no priests when the first convert priest passes away is precisely what I was speaking of. Until this is changed, there will not be much of an increase in the parishes. And it is most certainly true that not every RC Bishop wants an AU parish in his diocese.

I did look at the homepage sites of the 7 parishes listed on the Pastoral Provision site, and it confirms what I was saying about the AU Texas parishes, and all other AU parishes, as I was pretty sure it might. I am not sure about the date of establishment for one parish outside Texas (St. Athanasius), but I think it’s date was 1997. And for one of the Texas parishes (St. Anselm, a mission), no date was given. So, calculating the average age for the Texas parishes (3 of the 4), one gets 23 years. For the other 3 parishes, 5.6 years. Given that the Pastoral Provision has been in existence for around 29 years, it is evident that as most of the parishes form, they also pass away. For reasons of no priest, or other reasons. My point is that until there is a prelature established for the AU, that is, unless it becomes a Rite, it will not increase, based on its history to date.

And, as I said, no offense intended, really. If I’m wrong, and AU parishes start multiplying, good; I’ll cheer. But I’ll also be surprised.

GKC

I agree with you 100%. I can’t imagine RCC dioceses wanting an AU church because the minute a Catholic leaves the pitiful NO mass and goes to the beautiful, rich, lovely Anglican liturgy, a lot of folks would bail lol…

According to the AU parishes, that is what is happening.

If there was an AU parish or mass in my town, I would be
greatly tempted to don the water wings and swim. Many would.
There are other things to work out, but giving up the
Anglican liturgy and respect of the liturgy is a big one.
Just not enough knee time in the NO mass.

I don’t mean to show any disrespect for any one’s opinion or what they choose as their spiritual home. The way I felt when I left the Episcopal church with several others and our Rector was that although our church was the most beautiful Anglo Catholic parish I had been in and our liturgy was the most beautiful I had even been to, for me truth came before a beautiful liturgy and building.

Being faithful to what I believe in God has blessed me with a lovely parish. I am telling you the following because it was a very strange experience I had twice. My daughter and I went back to my old church (now a continuing Anglican parish) on two different Christmas eve masses. Although much was the same in the liturgy, vestments etc. we felt an emptiness there. I have no idea who ordained the new Rector, but I believe that the priest that was there during my years was ordained by at least one Bishop who had been consecrated by an Old Catholic Bishop. Although the Eucharist was illicit I believe it was the true Presence during the time I was attending.

This experience happened again at my current parish. I went to a mission there and when I sat down I felt that same feeling of emptiness and wondered why. Before the speaker begin his series, Father got up in the back of the church and said that he had removed the reserved Sacrament while the mission was being presented.

I find this such an odd feeling. For me whether the mass in done poorly at a NO parish or done reverently as in the church I attend I know the true Presence is there.

As I said above I do believe that some clergy in the Episcopal church have valid but illicit orders. I think Rome recognizes Old Catholic orders this way. I could be wrong.

I guess my point is that truth for me comes before a beautiful liturgy and building. And my truth was the Catholic Church. Of course I miss these things and pray that some day the Lord will allow me to have the AU liturgy again.

As I have said before the Lord leads each person in the way that they can grow spiritually and I have chosen my way.

God Bless

Yours in Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

You are where you should be, IMO.

GKC

Yes we have an ANGLO CATHOLIC church here where I live in FLA and its very well attended, A priest that I have known since 1975 is also an ANGLO CATHOLIC and he was the one who told me about it, he also mentioned that there is a good website that you can locate by google search on Anglo Catholic Church and that its ordination and liturgy is recognised as being apostolically correct by the eastern Orothodox churches as being OROTHODOX in correct scriptural doctrine and catholic liturgy Something that Rome needs to wake up to and have more dialog with and recognise them as a proper branch of the TRUE UNIVERSAL CHURCH …ANGLO CATHOLICS in the Anglican Communion ( not the liberal Episcopal Church in the USA )

yes, i think a lot of people would be drawn to the AU mass also. however, there would still be those that could never imagine attending any other mass than the NO mass i believe also.

Anglo-Catholic is not the same as the Anglican Use liturgy of the RCC, however.

Also, I suspect that the website you were referred to might, in fact, be that of the Anglican Catholic Church, one of the main Continuing Anglican jurisdictions, separated from the Episcopal Church, for many years.

It is all complicated, I fear.

GKC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.