Has anyone ever heard of "Catholic Charismatic Renewal?"

There were 2 brochures on this in the Blessed Sacrament chapel at my church. Our BS chapel is open 24hrs/day, so I was wondering if this was put in there without parish approval. It says it is published by the 2008 National Service Committee Leaflets. They give a website of www.nsc.chariscenter.org.

Does anyone here know if this is a Catholic Church approved group? I wasn’t sure which forum to put this under so I thought i’d try here.

Thank you!

Yes, I have heard of it. It is a popular thing for Catholics. Charismatic Catholics love to praise the Lord. And yes, it is approved by the Church.

Pope John Paul II had this to say about it in March of 1992:

[quote=Pope John Paul II]At this moment in the Church’s history, the Charismatic Renewal can play a significant role in promoting the much-needed defense of Christian life in societies where secularism and materialism have weakened many people’s ability to respond to the Spirit and to discern God’s loving call. Your contribution to the re-evangelization of society will be made in the first place by personal witness to the indwelling Spirit and by showing forth His presence through works of holiness and solidarity.
[/quote]

Source: ccc.garg.com/ccc/articles/John_Paul/John_Paul_001.html

Holly is correct , please see my post today in the Charismatic Christians and Friends Group .
Praise the Lord ! God’s Blessings on you .
Natalie .

I have been to a couple of Charismatic Masses and if your affections tend to lean more towards the EF the then I can tell you, that you will not like it. Every time I attend one I leave with an excruciating migraine. Needless to say, I won’t be going anytime soon. One time I went with my sister to see a healing priest…I left soo sick. :shrug:

The Catholic Charismatic Renewal has been around since at least the late 1960s. When I was growing up my mom was very involved in it, and I often attended prayer meetings with her. In the beginning it was sometimes dubbed the “Catholic Pentecostal” movement but later took the name “Charismatic” to avoid confusion with Protestant Pentecostals.

In a nutshell, Catholic charismatics believe that the gifts of the Spirit spoken of by St. Paul and mentioned in Acts, such as speaking in tongues, healing, prophecy, etc. still exist and can be manifested among Christian believers today. The charismatic style of worship tends toward exuberant praise similar to what you might see at a Protestant services. Sometimes (not always) this leads to liturgical abuse, but charismatic Masses can be done very reverently and are quite spiritually moving.

To some extent the charismatic movement in the U.S. peaked in the 70s and 80s, and many of the people I knew who used to be involved in it (including myself) now are more inclined toward traditional devotions such as Eucharistic adoration, the rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, etc. It does, however, remain very popular among Hispanic Catholics and in other parts of the world.

During the immediate aftermath of Vatican II, charismatic Catholics were often the most orthodox ones you would find. Unfortunately, some did leave the Church for Protestant churches they thought were more “Spirit filled.” Others became disillusioned with the overemphasis on spectacular charismatic “gifts” and a tendency toward Protestant concepts of what it meant to be a “born again Christian.”

Pope John Paul II endorsed the charismatic movement (though he did have some concerns about it) and Mother Angelica began her print and TV ministry in the 70s and early 80s as a charismatic – she even appeared on shows like the 700 Club and PTL when she first started EWTN.

If you tend to be a quiet, introverted type who prefers the Tridentine Mass, as a previous poster said, you probably won’t care for charismatic worship. If you are more extroverted or come from a Protestant or Pentecostal background, however, you might like it.

Gatorsmom , see my post on Charismatic Christians and Friends and read up on the net, there is plenty of information on it , before accepting a jaundiced view on it .
God’s Blessings on you .
Natalie

I’m not sure if this is connected with the Catholic Charismatic Renewal your talking about, but this link looks informative: scrc.org/about/aboutccr.html
This one is in Southern California but I wonder if you can find a similar one near you. I haven’t been but I’d like to go, I don’t exactly feel like the worshipping kind waving hands in the air… but it could be nice. It should be more than waving your hands in the air I’m sure.

There is a fellow who writes a blog devoted just to this and it is filled with useful links and posts:

catholicanalysis.blogspot.com/

dj

The answer you seek is a simple yes, the Charismatic Renewal is recognized and approved by the Magisterium. It has been endorsed by every pope beginning with Pope Paul VI and is mentioned in the United States Catholic Catechism of the Catholic Church as one of many movements of the Holy Spirit. I am currently in the Middle East and will be joining the group associated with the only Catholic Church in this country.
We are called to openness to the gifts of the Holy Spirit that is available to each of us according to His Will. It is this very movement of the Holy Spirit that leads individuals to greater devotion and reverence as we experience God’s presence in our lives with every breath that we breathe. Charismatic prayer groups are vibrant with thankfulness and intercessory prayer. Outside the prayer group, the individual who has experienced God’s love at a personal level returns to other forms of devotion. Many of the young men and women currently called to the priesthood and religious life are members of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal.

Thank you, everyone for the links to information, the explanations and personal experiences. I’m glad to hear this group is legit and it sounds like something I experienced when I was a nanny in France, not long after I graduated from college. During college, i’d really fallen away from the church. After I graduated I decided to improve my french by nannying for a family in Strasbourg. I met another American there who told me about a group of French Catholics going on a pilgrimmage. They were the most devout, faith-filled Catholics I have ever known. My experience with them completely reconverted me. They practiced something like what you describe- I wouldn’t doubt now that they were members of the Charismatic group. My faith, my devotion to the Blessed Sacrament, the Blessed Virgin, my belief in miracles, was so greatly improved that it changed how I pray, worship and live my life. I havn’t been able to stop talking about that trip and that was in 1996!

I lost contact with them but I am certainly going to look into this group. Thanks again for the info!

I recently joined the Catholic Charismatic prayer group in my Catholic Church. It has helped me grow spirtually so much. It has made me appericate the sacraments more and have a greater love for the Holy Spirit. I am still new to it but I can’t wait to learn more.

In Christ

H I am a charismatic Catholic and I love Jesus and Mary. Praise the Lord for making my faith even stronger by filling me more and more with His Holy Spirit in such a wonderful way. I believe in the sacraments more than ever since I became a charismatic 4 years ago.

hi all,

I am a Catholic Charismatic here in Singapore. The Charismatic Movement has been vibrant here since the 70s. We’re all blessed with the Holy Spirit, and we all have the gifts but whether we want to use them or not is entirely up to us. It is a free choice. All the Charismatic movement does is heighten in you the awareness of the Holy Spirit and enhances your catholic faith. But that said, it is not everyone’s cup of tea. At the end of the day, we all choose how we want to live our Catholic lives.

For me, the charismatic movement has enhanced my own Catholic life. I am drawn to Holy Mass daily, and I am drawn to praying my rosary daily too. I enjoy going to the Adoration room after daily morning mass and just spending some time with the Lord. I am now burning with desire on learning and studying the Word of God.

During our weekly sessions, as a prayer leader, I invite our members to allow the Holy Sprit to work actively in their lives, and to be alert to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Most importantly, to use the experience of the Holy Spirit and the strength one gets for Him, to go out and evangelise, and to reach out to others who really need to know Jesus.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.