Has anyone heard of Shinchonji?

Hi everyone.

Has anyone heard of Shinchonji?
It’s from Korea, its founder is named Manhee Lee. They give Bible study lessons over Skype, and they have a couple of congregations here in the U.S.
Several of my mom’s sisters are involved, and they have gotten my mom to take lessons as well. They are all former Mormons.
I talked on the phone to the guy who taught the class she attends, and he led me to believe that they were basically a normal Bible-only non-denominational… denomination.
I just tried to find some information on the internet about them, and almost everything I find except for this blog is a front-site for them, for example, this blog.

Does anyone know more, or know of any resources on the web that I could use to show my mom what this is about? It’s difficult for me to speak to my family about religion, since they’ve seen me go from Mormonism to Wicca to Lutheranism, and now shortly to be joining the Catholic Church through the Ordinariate.

Thank you

I’d say, based on what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be particularly harmed by it. But, understand groups, like these are heretical (partial), in that they only adhere to the word of God alone. I know there are passages containing St. Paul’s prescription of preserving the traditions, the catholicity of what’s been handed down, since the Church Fathers. I think your progression leads me to believe you’re a truth seeker, and that your progression shows a clear leading back to the church(es) of true Apostolic succession (as handed down directly from the Apostles). I wouldn’t even been afraid of partaking in some of their studies, but I pray you get, and stay, grounded in the faith first.

Thanks, but I’m not the one taking their lessons. My mom and her sisters are. I’m looking for resources on helping my mom and her sisters out of it.

Gotcha. I’d really suggest you take a look at the Early Church Fathers, as this was the period in which the Early Church was just beginning to be solidified; while having to combat various heresies, during their time. There should be plenty of cost-effective material on Amazon. As far as web resources arguing against this approach, I’ll have to scour the Internet, tomorrow.

Just curious, why would you want to help them out of what they are studying?

im interested in reading this, where in the bible does it say this?

Because of this: Issanjose:

I’d say, based on what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be particularly harmed by it. But, understand groups, like these are heretical (partial), in that they only adhere to the word of God alone.

-Chris

[quote]Quote:
Originally Posted by lssanjose

I know there are passages containing St. Paul’s prescription of preserving the traditions, the catholicity of what’s been handed down, since the Church Fathers.

[/quote]

Here (a partial list):

4.2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

And here:

2.1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.

-Chris

Im confused now… I read that in heb 9:9-10 thats these traditions and rituals are simply regulations being conducted until the new order? (just like physical isreal having to give up thier law given by moses when Jesus came, St. paul however is talking in NT time)

Since religion is teaching about its owner, example buddishm teaches about buddha and islam about allah and confuciousism about cofuscious, then the bible teaches about the only true God, the father of Jesus christ… Therefore why would we need any other teaches outside of Gods word? Isnt Gods word directly from God? 2 tim 3:16, 2 pet 1:20-21

If the bible is the rememdy for death, then we need nothing else am i right? I see nothing wrong with adhereing only to the word of God.

Any thoughts?

Lots of thoughts. One is: Christianity is not Buddhism, Islam, or Confuciousism. Christianity, the faith, exised in oral form and through traditions and rituals (like the Divine Liturgy in the Mass) before the Bible, before any of it was written down and widely circulated. The Bible was meant as a liturgical book, as readings for Mass, not as protestants use it today. Just look up the Church councils that gave us the canon of the Bible and see why they did it. This issue had been addressed many times here, but there are many passages in the Bible itself that confirms it is not the only or sole authority on the christian faith. We are not “people of the book.” Christianity is a living faith, a living Tradition, and the Bible is just a part of that.

-Chris

Hi!

I found this forum question in my google search for “Shinchonji in the United States.” I realize that u sent this over a year ago, and that u may know very much about it by now, or even a lot may have changed since then and u r no longer wondering. But, I know quite a lot about it in case u need resources still. I used to do studies with them, and have stayed updated ever since i stopped. So, if u could still use it, lemme know! I’d be glad to help.

bms1987,
Yes, thank you - I have a few questions.
I spoke to one of them on the phone, and they gave me the impression that they believe in the Holy Trinity, and that they believe that you don’t have to belong to their sect in order to be saved, so my questions are:

Do they believe in the Trinity?
Do they believe that you have to belong to their sect in order to be saved?
Do they believe that their leader is the object of any Biblical prophecies?
I’ve noticed that they seem to fixate on a prophesied ‘pastor’ and ‘one who overcomes’. What is that about?

Thank you.

I just skimmed through the blog you post: shinchonjiandthebible.blogspot.com/

And found out that they now appointed a “New John figure” who received the scroll (the revealed word) in Rev. 10.

And this guy, Manhee Lee, had an encounter with God/Jesus Christ himself. I dont know about you guys but this is kind of freaking me out… :blush:

1. Do they believe in the Trinity?

Put simply, No, they do not.

Here is a quote from their website:

"When people use the word “Trinity” they refer to the idea that God is three in one; the idea that God is simultaneously both one and three beings. People read verses like Mt 28:19-20 and created the doctrine of the Trinity. How is it that three beings can simultaneously exist as one being? …When Jesus no longer had a physical body, the three again existed as three separate beings¨**.

**“The God of the Trinity” Shinchonji Website Articles. Accessed May 20th, 2010. healingallnations.shinchonji.kr/content/god-trinity

1. Do they believe that you have to belong to their sect in order to be saved?

Put simply, Yes, they do.

1. Do they believe that their leader is the object of any Biblical prophecies?

Yes. But, many of their “prophecies” are either prophesies about Jesus’ second coming or they’re far-fetched and must take things out of context.

1. I’ve noticed that they seem to fixate on a prophesied ‘pastor’ and ‘one who overcomes’. What is that about?

I could be here for a very long time explaining a lot of their teachings or I could just give u some good resources.

shinchonjiandthebible.blogspot.com/

[If you click on their articles from 2010, there’s a lot more]

spring.me/randcho/q/301793728056537225

I have one other great resource that lays out some of their teachings very plainly and highlights some concerning areas-- but it’s an attachment. It can’t be found online. So, unless i could get ur email, I don’t know how else to get it to u.

As far as the guy who left impressions otherwise-- I always advise ppl to stay away from them. Not gonna lie, they’re very sweet ppl upfront, but they’re the biggest liars and pretenders. It’s in their doctrine that you can lie as long as it furthers their cause, and they can be very subtle and tricky about how they teach some of these things. But, don’t take my word for it. Just look at these resources, evaluate, and talk to your family one on one with lots of prayer and a loving attitude. They may be very defensive about it though, so be prepared with whatever resources or a reputable third party if u deem necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.