Has anyone heard of this before

Hello All,

My wife’s friend was here the other day and explaining that she had to visit a protestant church for her protestant religions class.
She decided to visit a methodist church, and during the homily, the pastor said that the Catholic church used to believe that it was really Jesus, but now they see it just like the methodist do.

I was appalled. In my opinion, saying a religion believes something it does not, or does not believe something it does hinders communication. I think that the pastor may have been trying to show that Catholics and Methodist have more in common than some believe, but I have no idea where he got the notion that Catholics no longer believe Christ is really present in the Eucharist.

Has anyone else ever heard a protestant deny that Catholics believe in the Real Presence.

A lone Raven

From your post (maybe I just didn’t read it well), IT seems he was talking about the church itself and not the Eucharist?

He was talking about how the Catholic church used to (around the time of the reformation) believe that the host was Jesus, but now they believe the same as the methodist church believes.

He was wrong. We don’t believe what they believe. We believe as we always have for 2000 years. It is Jesus body, blood, soul, and divinity. They are the ones who have changed.

That is odd then, I have no idea where he’d get such an idea.

Where do they get any of their ideas? It seems like any source that isn’t actually Catholic. They seem very willing to believe any negative or scandelous notion about Catholicism yet balk when introduced to her truth.

I was not there, but I still think he was trying to make a point that either the methodist are right and always have been, or that they have more in common with Catholics than most believe.

I just prefer to think he had good intentions

A lone Raven

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.