Has anyone heard of this radio program?

I ran across this radio program today in a physics section:
Angels: Where Science Fears to Tread

I haven't listened to it yet, because they are charging for it. I realize that when talking science and religion, a lot of people see it as being incompatible subjects. I do not share this view. I took a physics course earlier this year and can't wait for my next one that will go into more depth. Most people say that a topic such as physics will destroy my faith, however, it has strengthened it ten-fold. The mechanics of this universe is astounding and yet, 99.9% of everything we know of, follows a certain set of rules extremely strictly. To me, this can only be the work of God.
The program description says how Thomas Aquinas' discussions on angels, parallels today's discussion on physics and that angels may have a big part in governing the universe.

I believe that we are going to come full circle one day with religion and science and they will be completely compatible topics.

Oh... I am Catholic and consider myself decently knowledgeable. I know I may be the minority when it comes to my views on science, but I always submit to the magisterium's teachings and even on things that the magisterium hasn't spoken on, i am real careful to keep an open mind, because I realize that some scientists are scientists purely to attempt to debunk religion..

Enough rambling... any thoughts?

I think you are very astute to note the precision of the universe very early on. One of my physics professors - in a public college, mind you - opened his very first class by warning the class that if there were any among them that had a fear of someday believing in a religion, it's probably best they didn't study physics.

Of course there are many who hold exclusively secular views and hold all the precision physics has to display as merely the precision of mathematics, not God. So while you may appreciate the truth of what you see, don't expect all your peers to look at it in the same light. That said, don't ever let it stop you from seeing the fingers of Almighty God at work in everything around us.

[quote="Hat, post:1, topic:177218"]
I ran across this radio program today in a physics section:
Angels: Where Science Fears to Tread

I haven't listened to it yet, because they are charging for it. I realize that when talking science and religion, a lot of people see it as being incompatible subjects. I do not share this view. I took a physics course earlier this year and can't wait for my next one that will go into more depth. Most people say that a topic such as physics will destroy my faith, however, it has strengthened it ten-fold. The mechanics of this universe is astounding and yet, 99.9% of everything we know of, follows a certain set of rules extremely strictly. To me, this can only be the work of God.
The program description says how Thomas Aquinas' discussions on angels, parallels today's discussion on physics and that angels may have a big part in governing the universe.

I believe that we are going to come full circle one day with religion and science and they will be completely compatible topics.

Oh... I am Catholic and consider myself decently knowledgeable. I know I may be the minority when it comes to my views on science, but I always submit to the magisterium's teachings and even on things that the magisterium hasn't spoken on, i am real careful to keep an open mind, because I realize that some scientists are scientists purely to attempt to debunk religion..

Enough rambling... any thoughts?

[/quote]

No, I haven't heard of that program; certainly sounds interesting, though.

Just remember - true religion and true science cannot contradict one another, because truth cannot contradict truth. Here is a link to an address Pope John Paul II gave to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences: newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

Keep in mind that the Catholic view of science is NOT the same as some Protestant fundamentalists (and, sadly, Catholics who have adopted a fundamentalist view) would have you think. Your point of view is the same as the Pope's.

You are indeed correct in saying that some scientists try to employ science to debunk religion; that, however, is their problem, not ours. Dismissing scientific theories because some of the scientists who support them happen to be anti-religion is patently ridiculous and does a disservice to the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.