Has anyone read a synopsis of the gospels?

Just wondering is all. Has anyone here read one, or even perhaps own a copy of one? :shrug: :D

As a matter of fact I plan to put one together as soon as I finish editing Luke and John of the DR Study Bible. In the meantime I'm kicking around some ideas, such as having the passages parallel together, and I may even provide Augustine's Harmony of the Gospels with it. I can't wait to start on it. I will probably have a 3 or 4 volume set that has each synopsis based on each Gospel.

To add a note for those who do not know what a 'synopsis' is: a gospel synopsis basically involves arranging parallel material in the gospels in parallel columns. This approach really has the advantage of allowing you to see at once how the different gospels arrange their material. I daresay even (just my opinion) that a synopsis is better than a gospel harmony, since a proper synopsis allows the different gospels to speak on their own terms.

Here's a good example of a synopsis which even colors similar wording across the different parallel pericopes (in this case, the parable of the sower). For those who can read Greek, here's the same pericope in Greek arranged synoptically. (Synopsis - synoptic gospels. Get it? :cool:)

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:2, topic:329975"]
As a matter of fact I plan to put one together as soon as I finish editing Luke and John of the DR Study Bible. In the meantime I'm kicking around some ideas, such as having the passages parallel together, and I may even provide Augustine's Harmony of the Gospels with it. I can't wait to start on it. I will probably have a 3 or 4 volume set that has each synopsis based on each Gospel.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip-off!

P.S. While we're waiting for Copland to finish his synopsis, I'll link to ones available right now that I do know of.

The Five Gospels Parallels: This one allows the reader to choose various synopses such as the three synoptics, the eponymous 'five gospels' (four canonical gospels + Gospel of Thomas) or even the five gospels plus Paul. Scriptural quotes are from the RSV while the translation of Thomas is that of Thomas Lambdin.

The Synoptic Project: Lists every passage or pericope present in any of the synoptic gospels. The inventory is a bit cumbersome to navigate through, but the Greek text is included along with the English; variants across manuscripts are also noted. Also allows one to choose across various coloring schemes.

Synoptic Gospel Outlines: Also comes in Greek and English, color-coded. Arranges the gospels via narrative segments (for example, here).

So much for online versions. The only hard copy synopsis I know of is Kurt Aland's Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum (which I have never read). Anyone else got anything?

I didn’t make it past the twenty-minute limit, but here’s another online one: Table of Gospel Parallels.

[quote="patrick457, post:1, topic:329975"]
Just wondering is all. Has anyone here read one, or even perhaps own a copy of one? :shrug: :D

[/quote]

I have one that uses all 4 gospels in parallel ordered roughly chronologically but also keeping the text of each in proper order (passages are repeated as necessary and are shown in a different typeface when they are not in their usual location). It was produced for a Bible study called "the Gospel of Jesus Christ." -]Unfortunately, it appears the study might not be completed so I may have to continue it on my own/-]. EDIT: The author's website indicates it may still be in production. Unfortunately, I haven't heard a word on the progress in at least a couple years (ideally, it would be finished by now). This is a spiral-bound print edition.

Augustine's "Harmony" seems an ideal companion piece. Thanks for the idea.

I have the UBS’s Synopsis of the Four Gospels, but I don’t have access to it at the moment (it’s packed away in a box for the near future)…

I have the Synopsis Quatuor Evangeliorum by Kurt Aland. And I also have The Horizontal Line Synopsis of the Gospels Greek Edition Volume 1. The Gospel of Matthew by Reubon Swanson. I had collected quite a few works by Swanson concerning the Bible manuscripts, he did a fine job lining up the variant readings in horizontal lines.

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:2, topic:329975"]

[/quote]

A little over a year ago, I completed a chronological harmony of the gospels using the Douay Reims scripturescholar.com/GospelHarmonyDouay.pdf I have since that time found a few errors usually where I was off by one day and have found some additional places where parallel passages are that I missed. I used Matthew and John as the basis for the order as Luke and Mark got their information second hand. This was done as a companion to my article on the chronology of the gospels scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf Many interesting thing are revealed, the day of Joseph's death (Sun May 13, AD 31), the day of the raising of the son of the widow of Nain (third day of the third month on the third day of the week according to the Jewish calendar and the raising of Lazarus at the same time according to the Roman calendar.
Grace and peace
Bruce

[quote="Bruce_Killian, post:9, topic:329975"]
A little over a year ago, I completed a chronological harmony of the gospels using the Douay Reims scripturescholar.com/GospelHarmonyDouay.pdf I have since that time found a few errors usually where I was off by one day and have found some additional places where parallel passages are that I missed. I used Matthew and John as the basis for the order as Luke and Mark got their information second hand. This was done as a companion to my article on the chronology of the gospels scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf Many interesting thing are revealed, the day of Joseph's death (Sun May 13, AD 31), the day of the raising of the son of the widow of Nain (third day of the third month on the third day of the week according to the Jewish calendar and the raising of Lazarus at the same time according to the Roman calendar.
Grace and peace
Bruce

[/quote]

Wow, I'll check it out!

[quote="Bruce_Killian, post:9, topic:329975"]
Grace and peace
Bruce

[/quote]

Google Chrome won't let me access these sites. There is a message saying they contain malware.

Its a pdf document.

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:12, topic:329975"]
Its a pdf document.

[/quote]

It doesn't matter what the links are to, Chrome, which is the search engine I use will not let me access them as it says they contain malware. I am not able to override that.

I don’t know why someone would attack a Bible study site, but they have, I have attempted to clean my site by removing the one file I did not put there. I can access it with Chrome and IE, FireFox says reported attach site, but lets me override and connect anyway. If you would like email me at bakillian at earthlink.net (replace the at and spaces with an at sign). And I will email copies.
Sorry about the hassle.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

According to which calendar? And (if it’s easily explained) how did you do the calculations to synchronize the various calendars?

Sally

[quote="NHInsider, post:15, topic:329975"]
According to which calendar? And (if it's easily explained) how did you do the calculations to synchronize the various calendars?

Sally

[/quote]

According to several different calendars. Starting with the official Jewish calendar, then adding the official Roman calendar, then also adding the solar calendar, the calendar of the priestly cycle and then several signs in the heavens from astronomical calendar. Much of this is in a series of articles that I have written. Twenty-five years ago, while finishing my M.Div. in Biblical Studies, I attempted to do my dissertation on Biblical Chronology and was rejected because my professor said that everything that could be said about Biblical chronology had already been said. Kind of like the person in the paten office in 1895 saying that every invention that could be invented had already been invented. I studied the chronology using mostly the Bible as my source. My interest over the years has not waned, but rather increased. About two years ago, Completely unexpectedly I discovered that many parts of Jesus' ministry were tightly tied to the Passover. It started when I realized that the Magi had followed the Bright Morning Star, during the day and arrived at Jesus’ house on the evening of passover. Passover was a time of unexpected wealth, night time journeys, watches, the cleansing of one’s house, everyone healthy, bitter events, etc. There seems to be a whole series of passover events as part of Jesus’ ministry, but in many cases Jesus’ is not in Jerusalem. Only on the passover was one required to keep watch at night, Jesus did this after the Last Supper, but He also prayed at night many times. Before the passover one was required to clean ones house of leaven. Also because I learned of other signs in the heavens such as the sun darkened and the moon turned to blood at Jesus birth and at His death, so I was able to precisely date these events to Dec 25, 1BC Julian and Fri April 3 AD 33. Jesus was conceived and died on the official passover. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer.
Grace and peace
Bruce

[quote="Bruce_Killian, post:14, topic:329975"]
I don't know why someone would attack a Bible study site, but they have, I have attempted to clean my site by removing the one file I did not put there. I can access it with Chrome and IE, FireFox says reported attach site, but lets me override and connect anyway. If you would like email me at bakillian at earthlink.net (replace the at and spaces with an at sign). And I will email copies.
Sorry about the hassle.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

[/quote]

I think when you reach the next membership level here you will be able to upload directly to CAF. On the edit screen, click the https://forums.catholic.com/images/editor/attach.gif icon to attach. There are really strict size limits, but if it's mostly text it should work out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.