Has Anyone Read The Book About Edith Stein, St. Teresa Benedicta?

What did you all think of this book if you read it? Someone I gave it to recently said “it’s ridiculous, hogwash, utter nonsense, we’re all saints, she’s no better than us”, etc., etc. This person is a non-denom Prot. lost, I’m afraid. I think Edith was a marvelous, Godly woman indeed, God Bless Her.

How could someone say this, think this? Just don’t get it!

Which of the many books about her are you referring to?

Bless you for asking.

Edith Stein was not only a brilliant intellectual - being in the inner circle of phenomenologist Edmund Husserl - she was a profound mystic and a wonderful writer.

Her book Finite and Infinite Being is about the metaphysics of St. Thomas Aquinas. It was the most instructive exposition on St. Thomas’ metaphysics I have ever read.

During WWII, the bishops in Holland issued a statement condemning Nazi killing of Jews. In retaliation, Nazis rounded up Catholic targets, Edith Stein being an obvious target because she was a nun of Jewish ancestry. She was forcibly removed from her convent with her sister, thrown on a train to Auschwitz and murdered in cold blood.

Your instinct to admire saints and find inspiration in them is true and well founded.

Your protestant friend is ignorant, but you seem to know that already.

People can think like this because the vast majority of people, Protestants especially but also most Catholics, simply don’t understand the Catholic Church and what it really teaches. Also, there is a very strong anti-Catholic attitude out there. When I was a Protestant, I did it too. Because of the way Protestants are taught, they often take issue with the most minor of things (like this). When it comes to important things, like Mary, they will say the beliefs are wrong, take away from Christ, and say other things that pertain to salvation and important matters. When it comes to less important things, like what a Saint is, or something about nuns, they will just ridicule the beliefs. In other words, they’re not important enough to condemn, but they are representative of the opposed (at best) or despised (at worst) Catholic Church to make fun of and deride as gibberish.

As far as this specific teaching is concerned, you may want to explain to your friend that the Catholic Church believes that all Christians are saints too. (and this is a very simple explanation but it’s good enough to tell to a Protestant:) The Church simply keeps a list of the people who lived exceptionally Christian lives that we can be inspired by. They are called canonized saints, but usually people drop the word canonized and just say the saints.

[quote=Lazerlike42]People can think like this because the vast majority of people, Protestants especially but also most Catholics, simply don’t understand the Catholic Church and what it really teaches. Also, there is a very strong anti-Catholic attitude out there. When I was a Protestant, I did it too. Because of the way Protestants are taught, they often take issue with the most minor of things (like this). When it comes to important things, like Mary, they will say the beliefs are wrong, take away from Christ, and say other things that pertain to salvation and important matters. When it comes to less important things, like what a Saint is, or something about nuns, they will just ridicule the beliefs. In other words, they’re not important enough to condemn, but they are representative of the opposed (at best) or despised (at worst) Catholic Church to make fun of and deride as gibberish.

As far as this specific teaching is concerned, you may want to explain to your friend that the Catholic Church believes that all Christians are saints too. (and this is a very simple explanation but it’s good enough to tell to a Protestant:) The Church simply keeps a list of the people who lived exceptionally Christian lives that we can be inspired by. They are called canonized saints, but usually people drop the word canonized and just say the saints.
[/quote]

Hey thanks alot Lazer! Your words really do help shed some light!!!

[quote=sparkle]Someone I gave it to recently said “it’s ridiculous, hogwash, utter nonsense, we’re all saints, she’s no better than us”, etc., etc. This person is a non-denom Prot. lost, I’m afraid.
[/quote]

This may not be what you are looking for, but to say we are all the same is crazy.

This thought process would have me in heaven as soon as I die rubbing elbows with someone like Billy Graham. It would be nice, but I’m not counting on it.

[quote=Lazerlike42]Because of the way Protestants are taught, they often take issue with the most minor of things (like this).
[/quote]

I have often wondered about this. Can you shed some light on why some groups teach children these things? Why do they bother? Is it a scare tactic?

The sisters never taught me what I should not believe or that people of other denoms are going to hell.

When it comes to important things, like Mary, they will say the beliefs are wrong, take away from Christ, and say other things that pertain to salvation and important matters.

That’s another thing I wonder about. How does admiration of or asking for prayers from a great Christian take away from Christ?

[quote=mark a]I have often wondered about this. Can you shed some light on why some groups teach children these things? Why do they bother? Is it a scare tactic?

The sisters never taught me what I should not believe or that people of other denoms are going to hell.
[/quote]

It’s not a scare tactic. It’s actually a loving thing (usually, some misguided Protestants probably are filled with hate, but not most). It’s because they legitimately believe Catholicism is very wrong and dangerous, and it just gets passed from generation on down. Same thing as how people would always learn black people were bad because their parents taught them and so on (except that wasn’t out of love! lol )

That’s another thing I wonder about. How does admiration of or asking for prayers from a great Christian take away from Christ?

It doesn’t, but they don’t think that’s what we do. Most Protestants simply don’t understand it (a lot of Catholics don’t, so how can we blame the Protestants when we can’t even get “our own” to understand?). Many think, because they have been mistaught, that Catholics worship Mary as another god or something. Sometimes they believe that not out of being mistaught, but because they may see Rosaries being prayed or something, and since all they have is the IMAGE of it, they don’t understand (sort of like watching a TV with no sound). Other Protestants simply are anti-Catholic, so they look for ANY Catholic belief to attack (again usually out of love, I know it sounds weird when I use words like attack but it’s true). In other words, they believe the Catholic faith is wrong in GENERAL (from being taught such things) so they look for things wrong with SPECIFIC parts of it. This leads to things like finding “There is but one mediator between God and man” in the Bible, and misapplying it because it seems to support their belief that Catholics are wrong.

Remember, when the reformation happened, it really began with Luther having his own beliefs (even though you learn in school he got them from the Bible, he really came up with them on his own first). Since the Catholic Church was all there had been for 1500 years, there was no list of reasons to say why it was wrong, so since Luther came up with his beliefs, Protestants have spent 400 years LOOKING for them in the Bible.

[quote=Lazerlike42]It’s because they legitimately believe Catholicism is very wrong and dangerous,
[/quote]

You lost me here.

Same thing as how people would always learn black people were bad because their parents taught them and so on (except that wasn’t out of love! lol )

Come to think of it, that’s the same crowd that ridiculed Catholicism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.