Has anyone read this book?

The Unexpected Way: On Converting from Buddhism to Catholicism by Paul Williams?

Williams was a Buddhist for many years but has since converted to Roman Catholicism, an experience he wrote about in his book The Unexpected Way

bristol.ac.uk/thrs/staff/pw.html

Its an expensive book (between $40-$50)

I watched his interview with WIlliams on The Journey Home from England.

I would love to get a hold of this book but do not want to pay the hefty price & my library doesnt carry it.:shrug:

Thanks

Inter-library loan. :thumbsup:

I had no luck with the interlibrary loan either?

Thanks for the suggestion

[quote="katesmom, post:1, topic:266305"]
The Unexpected Way: On Converting from Buddhism to Catholicism by Paul Williams?

Williams was a Buddhist for many years but has since converted to Roman Catholicism, an experience he wrote about in his book The Unexpected Way

bristol.ac.uk/thrs/staff/pw.html

Its an expensive book (between $40-$50)

I watched his interview with WIlliams on The Journey Home from England.

I would love to get a hold of this book but do not want to pay the hefty price & my library doesnt carry it.:shrug:

Thanks

[/quote]

Hi katesmom,

I actually have this book. It is good, but I found it to be a little philosophically deep in some spots. But that's just me. I liked it. I know the biggest issue he had was with reincarnation. He just couldn't accept the notion that his loved ones just ceased to exist any longer. He came to see the beauty and logic of resurrection. Thank God.

The publisher has made a good 60 pages available at google books, so you can see what you think before you buy it.

books.google.com/books?id=Yi0oi8C1nQgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Congratulations on your being in RCIA.
Happy reading!

Thanks emisher:

I will check the sample of the book on Google.

I cannot figure out why this book is so expensive? Any book over $25 is rather expensive in my opinion.

I really appreciate your feedback & review of this book. :)

I love this quote I found:
*** "In the West, I do not think it advisable to follow Buddhism. Changing religions is not like changing professions. Excitement lessens over the years, and soon you are not excited, and then where are you? Homeless inside yourself." ***

– The Dalai Lama

Thanks for this thread! I’m doing RCIA next year and was practicing and raising my kids Buddhist. I’m looking forward to eventually reading this!!!

:hug1:

[quote="katesmom, post:5, topic:266305"]
Thanks emisher:

I will check the sample of the book on Google.

I cannot figure out why this book is so expensive? Any book over $25 is rather expensive in my opinion.

I really appreciate your feedback & review of this book. :)

I love this quote I found:
*** "In the West, I do not think it advisable to follow Buddhism. Changing religions is not like changing professions. Excitement lessens over the years, and soon you are not excited, and then where are you? Homeless inside yourself." ***

– The Dalai Lama

[/quote]

Yes, I know I couldn't believe the price when I first saw it. I put off buying it for awhile, but I finally just did it because I was so interested in it.

That is a good quote.

[quote="SurlyMermaid, post:6, topic:266305"]
Thanks for this thread! I'm doing RCIA next year and was practicing and raising my kids Buddhist. I'm looking forward to eventually reading this!!!

:hug1:

[/quote]

Congratulations SurlyMermaid!

Maybe we'll be seeing you on the Journey Home one day!:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.