Has anyone seen this movie

The Scarlet & the Black with Gregory Peck?

A co-worker recommended it to me. Its a true story about a Vatican priest/offical who helps people escape during WWII. She said it was really good. Just wondered if any of you had seen it. Thanks!

I saw it on TV many years ago - it is a wonderful and inspiring story. Very well acted by Gregory Peck, John Gielgud, Christopher Plummer and others. Well worth watching.

Yep! I have it amongst my collection and it is a wonderful story. I love the part where the Priest teases the German soldiers who have their guns trained on him. He walks up to the line that the Nazi’s have drawn around the Vatican and skirts about it. If he steps over it they have orders to shoot him. He puts his foot above it, beside it, close to it but never over it. He then laughs at them and walks back to the Vatican. Wonderful scene.

And by the way, he is Irish!!! Monsignor O Flaherty of all names.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. See it if you can.

My favorite part of the movie is the scene at the end where the Allies are arriving in Rome. The Nazi commander, Colonel Herbert Kappler, makes a desperate plea for help to Monsignor O’Flaherty. You are left with the impression that he is denied, only to be surprised at the end. I don’t want to give too much away, but read the rest of Kappler’s story, during the credits for the film…what happens after the war. It made me cry!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.