Has anyone watched or read the Left Behind series?

So has anyone read the series of books books about premillenial dispensationalist eschatology and the rapture by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins? I absolutely abhor everything about the book – the characters and their lack of development, the plot and its predictability, the theology, the writing style. Nicolae Carpathia and Leon Fortunato, the Antichrist and the false prophet respectively, seem to be the only redeeming factors about the series.

What does one think about the movies? I loved Gordon Currie’s portrayal of Nicolae Carpathia.

I do enjoy reading Slacktivist’s detailed but glacier-paced ongoing review of series where he is only on the second book (Tribulation Force) since starting his massive project in 2003.

slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/left_behind/

When I first became a christian in a church that believed this view of the tribulation, I read all of the books and saw all of the movies to date.

I have to admit, as a younger teen, I really liked them. I got really attached to the characters, and loved the plot. A lot of it seemed to be a stretch to me, even as a brand new Christian, and obvious that the authors were trying to retain scriptural accuracy, even though they had NO idea what it meant, or how it fit into their theory (I noticed it generally got portrayed as a vision one of the characters had that seemed to have NO impact on plot) It’s like they were just trying to get it out of the way so they could move on to the “more important stuff.”

I’ve been thinking about finding the audiobooks and listening to them again now that I am a mature christian and a catholic. I do not believe in their view of revelation anymore, but I’d like to see what I think about it now. I have kept the final book in the series though, because something about The Glorious Appearing just gives me hope and strength during tough times. The idea of Christ physically coming back to earth just fills me with such joy.

There's been some episodes on TV. I put it in the same category as "The Da Vinci Code" books and movies.

I don't believe the term "rapture" is in the Bible. I think I heard that it was added in some Bible in the 1840s by a fundamentalist sect.

You do not need to think about finding them again; you only need to think about listening to them again:

oneplace.com/special/left_behind/

I read them and enjoyed them for what they where-pop literature.

It’s nice to read something you know won’t be disgusting, riddled with swear words or loaded with gross sexual stuff.

The word rapture is never used, just as the word “trinity” is never used in the scripture. These words exist to describe concepts discussed in scripture. The idea of the rapture comes from Matthew chapter 24, specifically verses 40-41

Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

Also in 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

Even in protestant bibles, the word “rapture” never appears.

I’m sorry, I totally agree with you, but when I read this I thought “ewww!! They’re kissing again!” or “is this a kissing book”

Sorry!! Princess Bride quotes!! :smiley: hehehe

So! It is down to you, and it is down to me. :wink:

I read a lot and I can read relatively fast, 1-2 pages/minutes so I’ll try anything, it isn’t a big investment of time. I tried reading the first book but it was way too boring. I can’t believe that a book so poorly written could be so successful. It is just retarded, the plot, the characters, the writing style. Definitely written for a high school sophomore. If you think the books are religious, spiritual or any such thing and have graduated high school then you really need to grow spiritually.

I tried reading the Da Vinci Code too but didn’t get more than 1/3 of the way through. I have read many stupid books with stupid stories. But they are stupid in their own way and seem to be aware of their stupidity. Take for example Star Wars. I don’t think George Lucas thinks he is telling anything more than a simple Good Vs. Evil story. Nothing deep and spiritual. Da Vinci Code? Ugh. Just cr*p.

Time will tell. I’m sure that in 100 years people will still read books like The Lord of the Rings but books like the Da Vinci Code will be long forgotten. The Left Behind series will be used as evidence for the existence of a defunct group of Christians called Evangelicals.

Heretical garbage.

Anti-Catholic rubbish.

Why would any Catholic waste precious time with that rot?

If you want fiction, read Catholic author Michael O’Brien

ignatiusinsight.com/authors/michaelobrien.asp

To understand the truth, try

The Rapture Trap

Rapture: The End Times Myth that Leaves The Bible Behind

Will Catholics Be Left Behind

The theology in these books is quite immature. At the end Jesus comes back, blows up his enemies and then walks around in their blood. I mean c’mon, really?

If you want something a little more Catholic try The Last Fisherman or After the Darkness.

Discussion on the movie:
Left Behind Movie

Discussion on the books:
BOOKS: Left Behind Series

At the time I was living like a pagan and not paying any attention to God. I was in an airport looking for something to read and saw the first book. I got a bored but stuck with it and ended up reading the entire series. I enjoyed them for what they were.

That series of books actually helped me to find my faith again. I started reading all types of things and eventually found Fr. Corapi’s video series on ewtn. started watching all of them – also enjoyed him very much.

Guess He can find a way to get our attention when you least expect it.

Indeed, the Left Behind series has faulty theology, but, good can still come out of it (as evidenced by PAboy57’s post)

When the moment comes in the future (If God wills it) that I become a father, I would be much less concerned if I walked in on my child reading a “Left Behind” book than a Playboy or something. I would simply tell my child that while there is such thing as the Second Coming, the Left Behind series has it wrong about the Rapture.

I found the idea interesting but couldn’t get into the movies. I’ve also since found out the the rapture isn’t a catholic teaching so I don’t give it the time of day. I don’t worry about the end times…because what could I do about it anyway. It’s better to just focus on living the best life you can and let GOD worry about the rest. :thumbsup::shrug:

Never.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.