Has "Call no man Father" been settled? Any Non-Catholics still believe this?

My brother in law left the Church 25 years ago or so. He used to tell me that we should not call the priest Father because Jesus said “Call no man Father”.

As a Catholic this is complete misreading of context and I can tell you for my BIL it is no longer an issue for him because he does call our priest Father despite not going back to the Catholic church unfortunately.

Anyway,which non-Catholic churches still claim that no man should be called Father?

Meanwhile while we ponder…1 John 2 : 12-14 :smiley:

I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.

14 I write to you, dear children,
because you know the Father.
I write to you,** fathers,**
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

MJ

Maybe its been settled. :smiley:

Are you saying St. John settled it? :stuck_out_tongue:

MJ

In my time in evangelicalism, I can’t say I ever came across this.

It may be a Fundamentalist thing then? :hmmm:

MJ

Hmm not settled with some. I had this go around with a Southern Baptist not too long ago along with a few other common anti-Catholic spewings.

Ah. I suppose it is comes with the “Baptize when ready and not as a baby” thing. Then again I understand not all Baptists believe that either :juggle: :smiley:

MJ

I have an evangelical friend who believes this. Recently though, he told me his grandchildren called him papa. He said so … so proudly. :eek:

There was the opportunity. I sent him this picture and ask him why he would allow his grandchildren to do so? This definitely was not scriptural according to him. Didn’t he know that papa and father are the same?

Now I can call him Pope xxxxx (name withheld).

:smiley:

My husband was raised in the Southern Baptist church and I have heard this from him, too.

One of my dear friends brings this up with me every time we discuss anything pertaining to the Catholic Church. He is also a baptist. So judging by everyone else who has posted, this seems to still be a thing.

I believe fundamentalist baptists hold to this view still in my experience in discussing it with just a few and talking online.

Mary.

Ah, but not here. We show them how to put scripture back into context!:smiley:

I would just call them priest or by their proper name. I don’t have a problem with you people saying it I just didn’t grow up catholic.

What do you mean by “proper name”?

How do you think the “children” St. John talks to would call him? What would be the most respectful name would they call him?

MJ

I do not know what the most respectful thing to say to someone in that culture was. I call people by their names and if it is a person that I do not know I do not say their name. If I am talking to a professsor I call them by the the apropriate prefix Dr. and for everyone else who I do not know well enough to call by their first I would say Mr…

I don’t like calling people by designations.

And if I asked you, who was your teacher in third grade, would you answer? If we cannot call anyone “father”, we also cannot call anyone “teacher”. Obviously there is more to what Christ was saying here than what you have taken literally.

Mr. - short for mister, derivative of master. :shrug:

Mt 32-10 Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Messiah.

Peace!!!

:thumbsup:

MJ

It was settled when God issued the commandment honour your mother and father.

I’ve never made this claim. But what is the Catholic position on what Jesus was saying?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.