Has Christ already married the church?

I was wondering has Christ already married the church, because biblically i can only remember that he talks about himself being the groom and the church being the bride (which would imply that he is yet to marry the church).

I am discussing theology with a protestant friend on indulgences and i need to know if there is a scripture that tells us that the Marriage of the church and Christ has already occurred because then i can argue about what christ said about marriage "that the two become one"

Thanks in advanced

Well we will all meet at the wedding feast at the end of the age and the world rolls up. So I am not exactly sure whether the wedding has taken place.

Technically though… In one of my last confessions with our Bishop of all people he said that time is eternal so that means that in God’s time the devil has already lost so never despair.

But always remember for your argument… Christ is the head of the Church. We in the Church are the mystical body if Christ so we are currently as “one”

Not sure about the main question, but I would say that the use of "bride" or "groom" doesn't automatically mean that the wedding has not yet occurred.

My "bride" and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in a few months.
:D

[quote="surritter, post:3, topic:316614"]
Not sure about the main question, but I would say that the use of "bride" or "groom" doesn't automatically mean that the wedding has not yet occurred.

My "bride" and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in a few months.
:D

[/quote]

Congratulations! :clapping:

[quote="james_neville, post:1, topic:316614"]
I was wondering has Christ already married the church, because biblically i can only remember that he talks about himself being the groom and the church being the bride (which would imply that he is yet to marry the church).

I am discussing theology with a protestant friend on indulgences and i need to know if there is a scripture that tells us that the Marriage of the church and Christ has already occurred because then i can argue about what christ said about marriage "that the two become one"

Thanks in advanced

[/quote]

The Mass is where the wedding is consumated as the Bride (the Church) becomes one with the Groom (Jesus). St. Paul says it clearly:

Eph 5:29-32 For no one hates his own flesh, but rather nourishes it and cherishes it, even as Christ does the Church, because we are members of his body. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This is a great mystery, but I speak of Christ and the Church.

and then:

1 Cor 10:16-17 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a PARTICIPATION IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST? The bread that we break, is it not a PARTICIPATION IN THE BODY OF CHRIST? Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

This is a mystery that exists in eternity. So, it happened, is happening, and will be happening, all at the same time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.