Has Harry Potter been offically banned by the Vatican?

Has the vaticane ver come up with a letter saying that the reading of Harry Potter is a mortal sin or osmthing? Has it ever officallys aid “Harry Potter is forbidden”?

No.

No. And I believe there is no longer a list of banned books.

PF

[quote=Emly]Has the vaticane ver come up with a letter saying that the reading of Harry Potter is a mortal sin or osmthing? Has it ever officallys aid “Harry Potter is forbidden”?
[/quote]

No. The present Pope wrote a letter when still a cardinal expressing support for a German author who had written a book criticizing Harry Potter. Obviously Cardinal Ratzinger’s opinion was not official Church teaching then and has not become official Church teaching just because he is now Pope!

Edwin

Of all the trash out there in the media, Harry Potter seems pretty benign. My daughter loves it.

[quote=Contarini]No. The present Pope wrote a letter when still a cardinal expressing support for a German author who had written a book criticizing Harry Potter. Obviously Cardinal Ratzinger’s opinion was not official Church teaching then and has not become official Church teaching just because he is now Pope!

Edwin
[/quote]

Yeah, I read his note to the lady. One was a thank you note for sending him the book, and thats where they got the one line that the press thought was a give away. It wasn’t. He just siad, ‘thanks, I recieved the book. You are right in being careful about what we expose kids to.’ And he’s right. My daughter is 8 and is still to young to read them, they are pretty scary, but I love them. It didn’t say anything even about Harry Potter.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]No. And I believe there is no longer a list of banned books.

PF
[/quote]

They should bring it back and ban “The Da Vinci Code,” and other books like it.

The main theme of the book is that love is the most powerful force in the world, so I doubt it’ll ever get banned consider that.

They should bring it back and ban “The Da Vinci Code,” and other books like it.

I disagree. I think that banning books would make people think we have something to hide, when in fact we don’t. The Truth will prevail :slight_smile:

Also, the Da Vinci Code is a great book, so long as you understand it is pure fiction! And ignore those untrue “FACT[s]” that you see when you first open the book…

A good number of authors wish books would be banned once again as well. It makes them sell like crazy!

cheddar

[quote=WanderAimlessly]No. And I believe there is no longer a list of banned books.

PF
[/quote]

I’ve been trying to find info on this because a friend just told me the Pope is acting to put HP on the banned books list. I’m hoping to be able to show her that there is no longer a list of banned books. Know where to look? I’ve googled a bit, but didn’t come up with much.

Steph

[quote=MooCowSteph]I’ve been trying to find info on this because a friend just told me the Pope is acting to put HP on the banned books list. I’m hoping to be able to show her that there is no longer a list of banned books. Know where to look? I’ve googled a bit, but didn’t come up with much.

Steph
[/quote]

If the pope wanted a book on a banned books list, it would have been on the list long before your friend heard of it. I would say what your friend has heard is completely false.

No, it’s not.

If you want to read about the whole “did the Pope say Potter was bad” thing, go jimmyakin.org/2005/07/pre16_on_harry_.html

It’s a very good article.

If you want to read about if Harry Potter really is bad, go

lazerliek42.tripod.com/apology.htm

I wrote it, so I hope its a very good article :wink:

[quote=HelpingHands]Of all the trash out there in the media, Harry Potter seems pretty benign. My daughter loves it.
[/quote]

You are right about the trash out there. Except, Harry Potter is part of that trash. I have a 10 year old daughter who will not read Harry Potter books, because of their witchcraft content. She steps outside the class if her teacher reads them out loud. All on her own. She told me about it after the fact. She does not want to offend our Lord by exposing herself to Harry Potter.

[quote=Atreyu]I disagree. I think that banning books would make people think we have something to hide, when in fact we don’t. The Truth will prevail :slight_smile:

Also, the Da Vinci Code is a great book, so long as you understand it is pure fiction! And ignore those untrue “FACT[s]” that you see when you first open the book…
[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you. A lot of Catholics learned a lot about their faith due to the DaVinci code book - not by reading it -but because of all the discussion, homilies and seminars that “debunked” the pseudo-history and shared real facts about the early Church.

But that one (DVC) was easy since it was, by its nature a religious themed book and people could respond directly from the Church. HP is more of a cultural percieved “threat”. We have read it in my house but I read ahead to screen for really troubling material. For my kids, the violence was more troubling than the magic but every parent knows what their kids will be sensitive to.

[quote=paramedicgirl]You are right about the trash out there. Except, Harry Potter is part of that trash. I have a 10 year old daughter who will not read Harry Potter books, because of their witchcraft content. She steps outside the class if her teacher reads them out loud. All on her own. She told me about it after the fact. She does not want to offend our Lord by exposing herself to Harry Potter.
[/quote]

hmmmm . . . was this supposed to be another HP bashing thread? :smiley: :rolleyes:

I like the books very much. I do not think my soul is in danger for having read them and for having watched the movies.

But to each their own - and truly I applaud your daughter for sticking up for what she believes in at such a young age. That is a blessing that some adults still do not have. She will have an advantage in life with faith so strong. :thumbsup:

paramedicgirl, I would strongly urge you to read lazerliek42.tripod.com/apology.htm.

Or better yet, read a Harry Potter book!

The fact is we cannot and must not base the goodness or badness of something simply on the content, but on what message the content is trying to convey. You don’t know what that message is until you’ve read or seen it yourself. I would also say that you might have a mistaken impression of what is in there based on calling it “withcraft” instead of 'magic" or something. The term witchcraft gives the complete wrong impression due to the connotation that the word has taken in our society.

Does your daughter refuse to read the Bible because of all the sex and murder and idol worship?

[quote=Lazerlike42]paramedicgirl, I would strongly urge you to read lazerliek42.tripod.com/apology.htm.

Or better yet, read a Harry Potter book!

The fact is we cannot and must not base the goodness or badness of something simply on the content, but on what message the content is trying to convey. You don’t know what that message is until you’ve read or seen it yourself. I would also say that you might have a mistaken impression of what is in there based on calling it “withcraft” instead of 'magic" or something. The term witchcraft gives the complete wrong impression due to the connotation that the word has taken in our society.
[/quote]

I read in an interview somewhere that the author of the Harry Potter books relies on her muse to inspire her to write. I don’t think that muse is the Holy Ghost.

[quote=Lazerlike42] Does your daughter refuse to read the Bible because of all the sex and murder and idol worship?
[/quote]

Not at all. She just has a strong aversion to the Harry Potter series. She has never been interested in reading them. Also, we don’t have television in our house, so she does not get caught up in fads, either.

Don’t worry that she relies on a muse lol… Tons of writers rely on their “muses,” and I doubt most of them are the Holy Spirit! Are some of them demons? Sure! Are they all? No. Most of the time when someone relies on his or her “muse,” they are relying on waiting until their own imagination comes up with something and then attributing it to some non-existent “muse” that they think helped them.

I’m not saying you absolutely have to read Harry Potter or even that you ought to. I’m not even some huge fan. I just get upset when people get on it, or anything else, without giving it a chance, and especially without letting it speak for itself.

[quote=kmktexas] For my kids, the violence was more troubling than the magic but every parent knows what their kids will be sensitive to.
[/quote]

I am in the same boat. The death and violence is ok for me but my 8 year old wouln’t be able to handle it. Many of her other friends have read them, but I still refuse to let her read them til she is older. I have read and enjoyed all the books.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.