Has Mel Gibson commented on his Faith?

Has Mel Gibson commented on his Faith? I woke up this this morning to see Good Morning America reporting Mel Gibson has a 500 millon divorce from his wife of 30 years. I have not read, seen or heard if Mel Gibson goes to Mass, confession or fasts each friday as in the past. I can see if Mel Gibson made the Passion of the Christ when Hollywood did not want the film and it makes $300 millon as people all around the world go to see this incredible movie. After Mel has a slip trying to keep his sobriety and then uses racial terms to the police?! I felt sad and the mud slinging begins in the media and in Hollywood. Did Mel think, "Why God did you leave me when I made a movie praising your son? Could you not keep me sober? Now people believe I am a hypocrite and judge me." He is having a baby with a woman much younger. Reported to be a woman in the adult entertainment market. I am confused and sadden myself this event happened. I used Mel as a Catholic model. I know you cannot get divorced in the Catholic Church. I have tried to get a message to him. Some things I want to say: Tell him Catholics needs him. Life is a mystery, we cannot begin to assume our roles on earth. Please come back to your Catholic roots.

It is sad to see him fall so hard. I think that he was pretty much black-balled from Hollywood after making the Passion. I figured that's what led him to talk a little smack when he was drinking, not that it makes it right. If I'm not mistaken secular Jews own a lot of Hollywood film studio's and have the bulk of the power in the industry, therefore if he was black-balled for making a Christian film, it's easy to understand why he would be angry. Really sad to see everything fall apart on him though. I was hoping he'd manage to pull out of it, maybe he still will :)

[quote="bhktops, post:1, topic:267811"]
Tell him Catholics needs him. Life is a mystery, we cannot begin to assume our roles on earth. Please come back to your Catholic roots.

[/quote]

A news article from two months ago suggests that Gibson is struggling, but hanging on to his faith..

Controversial Hollywood star Mel Gibson made a private and unexpected visit to St. Louis this week. He came to pray and talk to bishops from the Eastern Catholic Church Bishop Conference.

"I was more than surprised; I was flabbergasted," said Bishop Robert Shaheen of the Maronite Church. Shaheen had little warning about Gibson's visit. The mega star decided to pay a visit after learning the Maronite tradition within the Catholic Church uses a dialect of the historic language of Jesus , Aramaic, during the Mass.

Gibson has led a controversial and very public life. He was accused of being anti-semitic and criticized for his personal life. He is currently facing divorce proceedings. "He didn't ask us of anything. He didn't ask us to endorse him," said the Bishop adding," He never said anything about his personal life except 'keep me in your prayers; I'm going through a bad time in my life.'"

kplr11.com/news/kplr-mel-gibson-st-louis-042309,0,6227038.story

Prayers for him are probably a good idea. Certainly he has been under a lot of stress and taken much public criticism.

Definitely let us add him to our prayer lists.

I love Mel Gibson and I think praying for him is an excellent idea, I believe like all of us he struggles. He had tons more temptations(being in Hollywood) and his mistakes are made public and most likely blown up for more drama for making money. We are just lucky no one captures all of our mistakes and shares them with the world!!

God bless.

We should pray for Mel Gibson.

I think his next film will be good, as he has found a subject that I don't understand too much about. I hope his film about the Maccabees once again brings Religious History into the spotlight.

I think alot of his problems came out of the fact he personally earned so much cash from the Passion(because his company also distributed the film) and that may have actually mentally affected him in a negative manner without him realising it. I wonder if that also gave his wife ideas when she considered divorce?

Who knows, maybe this is a blessing in disguise for Mel?

I don't believe for a second he has given up his beliefs, because in "Edge Of Darkness" he passionatly portrayed a Catholic father, and has yet another religious history film in his near future.

He didn't divorce his wife, she actually served him, from what I know. Then this short relationship with the russian woman began.

Does Gibson still have that fully functioning chapel on his property?

Someone was visiting him and learned that they have daily Mass there.

I can't even ascertain if he is part of the normal Catholic Church. :shrug:

[quote="cemiller, post:2, topic:267811"]
It is sad to see him fall so hard. I think that he was pretty much black-balled from Hollywood after making the Passion. I figured that's what led him to talk a little smack when he was drinking, not that it makes it right. If I'm not mistaken secular Jews own a lot of Hollywood film studio's and have the bulk of the power in the industry, therefore if he was black-balled for making a Christian film, it's easy to understand why he would be angry. Really sad to see everything fall apart on him though. I was hoping he'd manage to pull out of it, maybe he still will :)

[/quote]

This may be true, but most of his troubles began after a traffic stop and his drunken tirade involving anti Semitic taunts toward one of the officers involved in the traffic stop who happened to be Jewish. This got a huge amount of bad press, which combined with his divorce from long time wife, then another drunken rant toward a girl friend that also included allegations of domestic violence. Talk about self destruction.

He does in fact have a church on his property and does have Mass daily. However, it has been reported that he uses that Mass to voice his own concerns and accusations toward those whom he believes are "out to get him". I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. If you read about his father and that influence on Mr. Gibson, combined with the alcohol abuse it is a wonder he is hanging on at all. I absolutely love this guy and his work all the way back to Mad Max....:thumbsup: and really hope he can overcome his demons because movies like the Passion of the Christ can speak to so many in a way that speeches and gimmicks never will!

Mel Gibson has committed several cardinal sins against the super secular entertainment industry. First, he angered liberal Catholics early in his career when he publicly espoused the Pre- Vatican II Church including the Sacraments in Latin as well as the Tridentine Mass. Then he made the film about the Passion of Christ, that was super authentic and gory; filming the scourging as realistically as possible and showing the Sanhedrin as being politically hypocritical.....sending a Jew to be killed by the Gentiles, something prohibited by Mosaic Law. This not only upset the secular Jews who run Hollywood but then he committed the sin of sins...he was right and they were wrong and the movie was an enormous success and made him independantly wealthy to the point that he didn't need them for anything. Of course the mass media followed the lead of the Hollywood moguls so that at his first slip they dumped on him. The rest, as they say, is history, and any statement or gesture toward the Church would be interpreted as hypocracy.

While Passion was a great film, it really was Apocalyto that was an eye opening Spiritual experience to me.

That was probably my favorite film of the 2000s, and Gibson ironically upset just as many people with his expose of, what turned out to truly be, the horrible darkside of Mayan culture. He was later proven correct by archeology... they really did split into two and really did commit the horrible "Aztecian" atrocities that he depicted. He challenged the notion that the Spanish destroyed a noble culture for greedy purpose. No, they BROUGHT CHRIST, to a culture that was all but killing itself.

I think Hollywood may have reacted more violently to this change because for years they have made films about how evil Cortez and his spanish/portugese buddies were, despite the fact that it was always purely fiction... Some of the Mayan tribes SUPPORTED the Spanish!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.