Has our marriage become sacramental now?

When my husband and I were married -in a Unitarian church, neither of us had been baptized. I was baptized in the Episcopal church about a year later…then became a Catholic. Over 30 years later, 2 years ago, he was baptized in the Episcopal church. So…before our marriage was valid but not sacramental. Has it become sacramental since we are now both baptized? Or should we “get married?” Should I wait in hopes that he will also become Catholic, or try to
arrange something with both a Catholic priest and the Episcopal priest?

Your marriage became sacramental when your husband was baptized. Code of Canon Law (CIC) explains, “The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized. For this reason, a valid matrimonial contract cannot exist between the baptized without it being by that fact a sacrament” (CIC 1055).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.