Has she been excommunicated?

There is a woman in my city who heads a number of lesbian groups, yet she describes herself as a Catholic, and is forever being quoted in newspaper articles as a source for Catholic opinion.

The reason I wondered if she was excommunicated is that she has also been heavily involved in the whole women ‘priests’ movement, wrote articles about them, gave speeches at their ‘ordinations’ and so on.

I know the women who claim to be priests have been excommunicated, but what about her? Does anyone know the answer? If she is truly excommunicated, then I could at least write to the newspaper and point that out.

God bless, Annem

No wonder the world has such a distorted view of Catholics. They need to interview a person who actually follows church teaching, not someone who advocates against it.

whats her name?

and write or email the bishop her name and what she has done, with links or pictures…

from your descrip it sounds almost like Joan chrisster… is she really manly looking? short hair? mens clothing?? bullish?? obese?

BINGO! You’re well on your way to becoming educated! :slight_smile:

You should probably let the local diocese office handle it - they are better off handling these matters when it comes to the legal stuff of excommunication and public relations especially when restoring one’s status is done in the Confessional.

I believe you may be thinking of Sister Joan Chittister, O.S.B., a theologian who does support the ordination of women. Though Sr. Chittister does have short hair, it is no shorter than that worn by many other women. In my opinion she does not look like a man. She does not wear men’s clothing. She is not bullish and, considering the girth of many Americans, certainly not obese. I do not support Sr. Chittister’s views on a variety of issues, but neither would I describe her with the negative and uncharitable adjectives you have chosen. As far as I know, Sr. Chittister has not been excommunicated and continues to express her views as a theologian within the Church.

**Public opposition to the Magisterium is dissent, and no such “theologian” in dissent deserves any standing in Christ’s Church. **
Dissent is totally untenable.
There has never been, and is no, “licit dissent” as Pope John Paul II has confirmed: “It is sometimes claimed that dissent from the Magisterium is totally compatible with being a ‘good Catholic’ and poses no obstacle to the reception of the sacraments. This is a grave error that challenges the teaching office of the bishops of the United States and elsewhere.” [Meeting with US Bishops at Our Lady Queen of Angels Minor Seminary, Los Angeles, Sept 16, 1987].

Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic Epistle, is definitive infallible doctrine on male only priests.

Her hair is short like a man. She wears manly pants and suits. I’m simply trying to find a description, since I find Joan quite easily to describe…

Theologian? lol,she is not even close to a theologian.

From what the poster said it sounds like its her. Especially when the OP brought up the magazine column. NCR?

could be a large number of other groups tho. Like ‘call to action’ maybe…

Only your bishop could know for sure if she’s been excommunicated.

What does your bishop say?

You weren’t simply trying to find a description. You were attempting to diminish the person in the eyes of others through your description. Still, you can describe the person however you like, I suppose, but I still found your description rather low and mean spirited. As for Sr. Chittister being a theologian, well, she is one whether you like it or not and many theologians take her work seriously. She may not be a theologian to your liking, or even a theologian that one would describe as orthodox, but she does challenge our thinking about God and our relationship with God and she does merit respect, even if you disagree with her.

This may or may not be true, but unless you are that theologian’s superior, you are not the one to determine whether that person merits a standing in Christ’s Church. You may read that person’s works and label them as poppycock if you wish, but that is about the extent of your authority over that individual’s standing in the Church.

You should send written documentation to your bishop and ask that he take action so that those who publicly dissent and write articles for the paper claiming to be Catholic are censured and told to cease.

Only the woman attempting ordination and the one doing the ordaining are latae sententiae (automatically) excommunicated. So if nothing has bee published by your bishop stating this woman has been excommunicated, then she is not. Your bishop can pronounce a sentence of excommunication after an ecclesial trial. That is different than a latae sententiae excommunication which occurs merely by doing the prohibited action.

Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
General Decree

Regarding the crime of attempting sacred ordination of a woman

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to protect the nature and validity of the sacrament of holy orders, in virtue of the special faculty conferred to it by the supreme authority of the Church (see canon 30, Canon Law), in the Ordinary Session of December 19, 2007, has decreed:

Remaining firm on what has been established by canon 1378 of the Canon Law, both he who has attempted to confer holy orders on a woman, and the woman who has attempted to receive the said sacrament, incurs in latae sententiae excommunication, reserved to the Apostolic See.

If he who has attempted to confer holy orders on a woman or if the woman who has attempted to receive holy orders, is a member of the faithful subject to the Code of Canon Law for the Eastern Churches, remaining firm on what has been established by canon 1443 of the same Code, they will be punished with major excommunication, whose remission remains reserved to the Apostolic See (see canon 1423, Canon Law of the Eastern Churches).

The current decree will come into immediate force from the moment of publication in the ‘Osservatore Romano’ and is absolute and universal.

William Cardinal Levada
Prefect
Angelo Amato, S.D.B.
Titular Archbishop of Sila
Secretary*

Now, you could make the case that she is latae sententiae excommunicated under this canon, but one must be declared a heretic, and I don’t believe you are competent to do so. It should be the bishop:

*Can. 1364 §1. Without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 194, §1, n. 2, an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication; in addition, a cleric can be punished with the penalties mentioned in ⇒ can. 1336, §1, nn. 1, 2, and 3.

§2. If contumacy of long duration or the gravity of scandal demands it, other penalties can be added, including dismissal from the clerical state.*

Also:
Can. 1369 A person who in a public show or speech, in published writing, or in other uses of the instruments of social communication utters blasphemy, gravely injures good morals, expresses insults, or excites hatred or contempt against religion or the Church is to be punished with a just penalty.

This would be handled through an ecclesial trial.

Tsuwano
This may or may not be true (re post #7)

How strange. Don’t you know that Ordinatio Sacerdotalis is definitive, infallible doctrine? Don’t you know that dissent is a grave error?
Chittister clearly is a dissenter, further, as Canon law decrees (1Ke, Forum Master), a latae sententiae excommunication applies under the conditions stated.

Donum Veritatis (On The Ecclesial Vocation Of The Theologian), C.D.F. 1990:
“36. The freedom of the act of faith cannot justify a right to dissent. In fact this freedom does not indicate at all freedom with regard to the truth but signifies the free self-determination of the person in conformity with his moral obligation to accept the truth.”
“38. Finally, argumentation appealing to the obligation to follow one’s own conscience cannot legitimate dissent. This is true, first of all, because conscience illumines the practical judgment about a decision to make, while here we are concerned with the truth of a doctrinal pronouncement. This is furthermore the case because while the theologian, like every believer, must follow his conscience, he is also obliged to form it. Conscience is not an independent and infallible faculty. It is an act of moral judgment regarding a responsible choice. A right conscience is one duly illumined by faith and by the objective moral law and it presupposes, as well, the uprightness of the will in the pursuit of the true good.”

Ike

Only the woman attempting ordination and the one doing the ordaining are latae sententiae (automatically) excommunicated.

THANK you for clearing this up.

For those who wondered if I was writing about Sr. Chittister–no, if only! Because I have never met Sr. Chittister, but the woman I am talking about is someone we have known since she was in 1st grade. She came from a wonderful, devout Catholic family, and attended Catholic school from 1st grade through high school. All during this time, she was in the goody-goody group at school, too, and was religious.

And then she went off to a very liberal Ivy league school and came back a militant lesbian and leftist. Her entire life now centers around lesbianism and attacking the Catholic church.

I know we can never judge others, but I am desperately worried about the state of her soul. She has been so involved in the ‘ordination’ of woman ‘priests’ that I wondered if she had been excommunicated. I thought I could bring that up and it might jolt her back into the church.

You should send written documentation to your bishop and ask that he take action so that those who publicly dissent and write articles for the paper claiming to be Catholic are censured and told to cease.

She has, indeed, published numerous articles attacking Catholic dogma, while claiming to be a Catholic. And she is endlessly quoted in our local newspaper as if she were a practicing Catholic.

I am however queasy at the idea of writing to the local bishop. What do other people think?

And God bless and thanks to everyone who replied, Annem

I think that when we don’t confront sin we allow it to continue and grow.

*1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

• by participating directly and voluntarily in them;

• by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;

• by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;

• by protecting evil-doers. *

Clipping some articles or printing them off the paper’s archive and making the bishop aware of the situation is the least you can do to help impressionable people who might read and be led away by her.

Every baptized Catholic who commits the sin of formal heresy is automatically excommunicated.

Canon 751: “Heresy is the obstinate denial or obstinate doubt after the reception of baptism of some truth which is to be believed by divine and Catholic faith; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.”

Canon 1364 §1: “an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication.”

The phrase “latae sententiae” means a judgment or sentence which is ‘wide’ (latae) or widely applied; it refers to a type of excommunication which is automatic. Such a sentence of excommunication is incurred “by the very commission of the offense,” (CCC 2272) and does not require the future particular judgment of a case by competent authority.

The claim that the Church, or anyone else on earth, has the authority and ability to ordain women as priests or bishops is an heretical claim.

Of course I understand what it means to dissent from the traditional teaching of the Church, but my post was not about dissenting. It was about who had the authority to declare that someone is not a part of Christ’s Church. As I’ve already said, if you are not that person’s religious superior or bishop, then that authority does not belong to you.

heretics aren’t real theologians.

A theologian today, would be like, Peter Kreeft, Fr, Corapi, or Scott Hahn,. Theologians in the older days would be like St Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Jerome, Bellemarine, Eusebius, etc

Forgive for the mispelling…

Joan a theologian? lol. Her arguments are as surface and baseless as most of her feminist adherents…A person who looks up to MARY DALY? lol…

Well, you’ve expressed an opinion, but that’s about it. Other people have them, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.